IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

I've been looking through Ken Boyers photo album of his Paradise Helicopter ride and honestly never knew that there were so many homes down in lower Puna from the PGV plant and southeast. I'm viewing this on a 17in Macbook Pro using the full screen and have the fb window pulled sideways even further than fits on the computer screen so I can see more of the image and the clarity of the images Ken took is excellent (he's professional photographer), however I wish I was viewing these on even a larger desktop screen. Sometimes I can make out things I see like the Community Center and its cell tower, the PGV plant which helps orient me to locate Pohoiki Road, Kuhakai. I wanted to see if Victor's house (pig house) was visible but can't tell. I know it backs up to the lava lake. I can definitely see where the lava was coming across Kahukai near Kapupili and a house on fire. Wonder if that's Scott's friend Manuel's place. I wonder what will happen to the kipukas where homes or farms are still on that section. How in the world do you get there. Some are rather large pieces of land. I can see why the structure count jumped the other day and looking at the photos you can see so many homes are right next to red lava.

Hey I just found Victor's house (pig house) and it was still untouched in the photo. Actually there are a number of shots of his immediate area. Man those fissures are something else over there. I can see where it's possible that his house and a few other neighbors next to and across from him might survive. Not sure how you'd get there though. And I'm seeing a few closeups of the corner lot on Kapuili at Kahukai and see the fence of the second house shown in Scott's video so the corner house was lost too. I'm really kind of in shock as to how much land this is covering.

If you have a home in the affect area, check the photos out. 

• Upvote 2

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

More updates on Mileka Lincoln's fb page to report. https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

There's a post 3:45pm HST (6:45pm PDT) with video from Domonic Jones. Footage decribed as from Kahukai to the direction of Kapoho. Flow is est. at 200 ft from Pohoiki south of the Y-interchange and NE of Leilani Ave and heading toward PGV. "Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense Agency officials have just confirmed it has since crossed the road. According to steepest lines of descent topography maps, experts believe the flow in this area should start turning towards the north and possibly make its way to Highway 132 if it's has enough volume. Civil Defense crews in the field are helping people evacuate and prepare for the possibility Highway 132 will be cut off. At this point, they say that’s a mile away and it could take time to cover that much ground at the current speed it’s moving."

The post from 12:15 pm HST has some interesting info I hadn't see in the USGS Alert unless I missed it. The post says "USGS HVO confirms there are still two ocean entry points. The one further to the west looks like it has started to tube over. The surface of the channel is crusting over. The cooling is starting to close itself in. Scientists in the field noticed blockage in the flow from fissure 6 and 21n— they describe that it’s sort of building itself up and forming a roof over the flow. If that happens it could keep the flow in one location." That would be good news. F6 is at the SE corner by Kahukai/Leilani/Pohoiki and F21 is in the middle of the large flow in LE.

• Upvote 1

Watching what was a Live Video feed on FB Lava News (Travis Sanders). 10:30 min. long.  Posted now 1 hour ago. It says at the top "The lava is burning the neighbors of Lava Ocean Tours. It's going to cross Pohoiki Road tonight again." Not the best video quality but watching it now. https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/videos/?ref=page_internal

It's Travis' voice. He's up on the roof of the warehouse he's at and said he's pretty sure they'll get burned out too.  This was something I heard him express in a previous video should the lava head that way. He says he's looking out at Leilani Estates from Pohoiki Road. Basically the first driveway. Right by the hot dog stand.

He can see fissures on occasion. He points out the a'a flow that's approaching. They've been busy evacuating the neighbor today. Said it burned down Kent Andersen's container home after they were able to evacuate more of his things, and it probably got his neighbors house. Civil Defense let them in to the area to evacuate things. He points out Shane's (Lava Ocean Tours) house next door. Said Shane's been out on the boat and family and friends have been helping with the move. He thinks there's a possiblity that they may have some time tomorrow to evac more out. Said they'll have resperators for those helping. Travis seems like such a nice guy. I've enjoyed his videos. 

He points out a Geothermal air testing station on the property which he said has been helpful as they can see online live what the air quality is. He adds that they got the chickens out from Kent's house. He sees alot of black smoke so there's more houses getting burned. 

Very sorry to hear these guys are in a bad way right now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the updates, Debbie. Since I'm "on the road" I'm not able to quite keep up with this, but if the "pig house" is the house on the north side of Kahukai (and the second house before what used to be the Kahukai/Leilani intersection), then that house is not likely to get burned down any time soon, if ever. It's located on the highest point there and would likely remain as a kipuka.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

4 minutes ago, bgl said:

Thanks for the updates, Debbie. Since I'm "on the road" I'm not able to quite keep up with this, but if the "pig house" is the house on the north side of Kahukai (and the second house before what used to be the Kahukai/Leilani intersection), then that house is not likely to get burned down any time soon, if ever. It's located on the highest point there and would likely remain as a kipuka.

Yes, Scott has said that and I think in the interview that was done with Victor, he said that too. Believe he said he was sitting on an old cinder cone. Honestly I'd never know that looking at the videos I've seen. I will say looking out at the cones right next to him, he'll have "hilly" company. 

Hey hope you're enjoying yourself right now!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Here’s something to consider:  nurseries use lava/cinders as growing media.  They ship the plants all over the world.  

Now I it makes sense why I killed all those palms! The curse of Pele? :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Quick edit/addition to my comment above - needless to say, this only applies if there are no more fissures opening up closer to that house. That would instantly change the scenario dramatically.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo I think that's F6 there and if so the info in Mileka's post mentioned above could be good news. I've been concerned for the neighborhood, well the whole area right there, should the lava berm in the lake areas have a breakout. If you look back today there was one in LE that traveled a bit west, fortunately it was sluggish and didn't go far.

6 minutes ago, Moose said:

Moose does that count against you if the lava came from some place other than Hawaii?

12 minutes ago, Moose said:

5 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Moose does that count against you if the lava came from some place other than Hawaii?

It's easier for my ego to accept that I sent many a palm to the Compost Pile of Doom :violin: because of the wrath of Pele. :D

• Upvote 1

Live feed from Fissure 17 by the House. Been seeing steam and just saw some spatter and maybe some orange through that darn tree. Should be more evident as dusk falls.

5b0a24d500616_F17-1.jpg.58cfb4b78a646078

A chopper just flew near by. I do wish CNN would pull back on occasion with the camera view. It's nice at times but I'm also curious how large the cone looks now. I'm waiting for my husband to come home with some good Chicago style pizza and getting hungry waiting. Helps to check on things in the meantime so you guys got me until then :D.

• Upvote 1

Mileka just spoke to PGV about the lava heading from Pohoiki. There's a video that goes along with it on her fb page although it doesn't show much just part of the plant and I guess the current fissure near it: https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

5b0a26f0a5a19_PGV-1(1).jpg.dd64955e971d2

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Live feed from Fissure 17 by the House. Been seeing steam and just saw some spatter and maybe some orange through that darn tree. Should be more evident as dusk falls.

5b0a24d500616_F17-1.jpg.58cfb4b78a646078

A chopper just flew near by. I do wish CNN would pull back on occasion with the camera view. It's nice at times but I'm also curious how large the cone looks now. I'm waiting for my husband to come home with some good Chicago style pizza and getting hungry waiting. Helps to check on things in the meantime so you guys got me until then :D.

Was thinking the same thing. Been monitoring the growth of cones.

It astounds me that there was this small pile near a fissure and in a very short time there arises this big new vertical piece of earth. :o

Chicago style pizza  - with SF twist, sour dough crust? ^_^

Edited by Moose

Place called Patxi's. They have a southern Calif location in Santa Barbara. And no the guy who started it came from Chicago so knows how to do it!  I do miss Uno's, Lou Malnatis from Chicago and IMO this is the closest we have out here. It's ordered and on it's way soon. :drool: Darn things take so long to bake though.

At least this cone won't grow like Paricutin in Mexico. Started out as a small eruption in a cornfield and grew and grew. I was always amazed by the story of it.

Getting closer to dusk. Similar look to the fountaining as last night.

5b0a352696f87_dusk-1(9).jpg.6045ec33ce7b

5b0a35744d1e9_dusk-1(10).jpg.a87246da7ec

5b0a382800658_dusk-1(12).jpg.ca88961223e

5b0a3c69116ce_dusk-1(13).jpg.ad8805812da

5b0a3c70a56bf_dusk-1(14).jpg.ad86db6d568

And suddenly in the last few minutes almost looks like the wind kicked up a bit and the lava is shooting higher and quicker above the rim. Really looks like it's splashing around vigorously and from different sections of the cone sometimes shooting sideways from the right side. I have a feeling given the lava movement it must be pretty full right now. Might be an interesting night to tune in for a show. The night colors are really getting vivid too.

• Upvote 1

Saturday Night Update - 5/26 @ 6 pm HST (9 pm PDT) from Big Island Video News (civil defense):

Neighborhood Watch (5/26) from Big Island Video News. Sounds like Ikaika's house is still there.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser is reporting that county officials have now determined that 41 of 82 structures claimed by lava are homes.

• Upvote 1

Totally non-volcano related but I know that Spam is a popular food item in Hawaii. And maybe with people evacuate they might be opening up even more cans of it. So in case you heard about the recall, it doesn't affect Spam sent to Hawaii

Residents can expect some changes to Volcano businesses due to depressed tourism to the village.

Parting nighttime shot from the camera feed from me as I wonder how things are going in Leilani Estates.

5b0a5d7b61b7d_dusk-1(15).jpg.c3a156d5118

• Upvote 1

My wife and I were able to make it into Leilani Estates tonight for the first time since the activity has started.  A friend of ours is a resident and offered to take us in today.  

Wow!!!  I really can't put into words the intensity that we got to see first hand.  

We came in from hwy 130 and turned onto Leilani Ave and took it to where it now ends with a wall of lava blocking the road, just past the Nohea St intersection.  We turned and parked on Nohea and then walked down to where Leilani Ave ends with a wall of solid lava. From that location is an amazing view of fissure 7.  I would guess that it was shooting magma into the air 150 - 200 feet.  The picture below just can't do it justice. 

5b0a6511c604d_fissure7.thumb.JPG.d7146bc

After spending quite a bit of time, watching this active fissure, the sun started going down and we started to see a lot of fountaining activity starting to happen south of where we were standing, up Nohea St.  Since we were parked up that way, we decided to go and check it out.  We walked past our truck and as we went further south in that direction on Nohea, we could really start to see the fountaining happen, and it was NOT far away at all!  We started noticing that the trees to the east of us were on fire.  I'd say maybe 100 feet away from us!  We then saw a small group of people frantically coming out of a yard and the fountain was almost directly behind the house!  

With adrenaline pumping I ran into the yard to get a closer look and took the below picture.  As you can see, there is a photographer there, much closer than I was!  

It was very hard to comprehend what I was experiencing!  The fountain spraying so close, the slow moving flow coming right at the house, and then if you look above the head of the photographer, you'll see an orange glow moving down from the fountain area.  This was a very fast moving lava river and I then started realizing that this is probably what was burning the trees that we saw on our walk up to this house.  It was flowing in the direction of where our truck was parked!!! 

We decided to quickly get out of there!  I am very sure that the house burned down within minutes of us leaving.  We couldn't afford to stay any longer.  

As we got back to the truck, police were all over the place, writing parking tickets for everyone parked in the area, like we were.  Not the best ending for the night, and I'll comment more on that in the next post, but such an overwhelming experience.  I've had the opportunity to hike to the lava flow when it was out past Kalapana when we first moved here months ago, but seeing the lava like I did tonight, at that intensity, was a once in a lifetime opportunity! 

The google lava activity / fissure map is not updated to show where we were and what we saw burning.  So I will be curious to see that tomorrow.  I'm not even sure what fissure it was that we were seeing the fountain out of.  The closest on the current map would be Fissure 8. 

house.thumb.JPG.5aec12c247fc2868093517bb

• Upvote 2

As I mentioned above, our epic evening ended with a parking ticket being written by what seemed like an overworked and tired police officer who was just "following orders".  I feel for these guys and for everyone in this area as this situation is clearly taking it's toll on everyone there.  

I had seen other videos of Leilani residents arguing with police officers who were trying to get the residents out from watching the lava.  

Since our friend was a resident, they checked his ID when we pulled into the neighborhood.  They then went on to ask us why we were there, how long we were staying and if we had any camera equipment with us.  They opened and searched the back of the truck to check.  We were then somewhat reluctantly waived in.  About an hour or so later is when we were leaving and spoke with the officer writing up the parking tickets.  The only people not getting tickets were the media that were there filming.  Kind of a strange situation as my friend who drove is a displaced resident of Leilani and here he is getting a ticket in his own neighborhoold, while the media is allowed to be in there and it's no problem?  A bit backwards, but I think the police and officials must be having a hard time adapting to this situation and figuring out how to handle it.  

I had heard that the police presence in the neighborhood has gone up a lot lately so this could be the one and only time that I will be able to get in there.  I really wish I could have spent some more time, but we figured one ticket was enough and it was time to leave.  And our adrenaline was still pumping from our very close encounter with Pele as described above! 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Very true. But it may also be a warning to gawking mainland tourists tempted to snatch a fresh lump of real estate right under Pele's nose. Do it and suffer the consequences. I took the polite way - Pele doesn't kid around.

me too!  :-)

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

As I mentioned above, our epic evening ended with a parking ticket being written by what seemed like an overworked and tired police officer who was just "following orders".  I feel for these guys and for everyone in this area as this situation is clearly taking it's toll on everyone there.  

I had seen other videos of Leilani residents arguing with police officers who were trying to get the residents out from watching the lava.  

Since our friend was a resident, they checked his ID when we pulled into the neighborhood.  They then went on to ask us why we were there, how long we were staying and if we had any camera equipment with us.  They opened and searched the back of the truck to check.  We were then somewhat reluctantly waived in.  About an hour or so later is when we were leaving and spoke with the officer writing up the parking tickets.  The only people not getting tickets were the media that were there filming.  Kind of a strange situation as my friend who drove is a displaced resident of Leilani and here he is getting a ticket in his own neighborhoold, while the media is allowed to be in there and it's no problem?  A bit backwards, but I think the police and officials must be having a hard time adapting to this situation and figuring out how to handle it.  

I had heard that the police presence in the neighborhood has gone up a lot lately so this could be the one and only time that I will be able to get in there.  I really wish I could have spent some more time, but we figured one ticket was enough and it was time to leave.  And our adrenaline was still pumping from our very close encounter with Pele as described above! 

This pisses me off on so many levels. 

First and foremost, Leilani Estates has private roads.  Meaning we paid for them to be built and maintained.  So this is akin to getting a parking ticket in your own driveway.

Second, I'm not aware of any prohibitions against parking in Leilani Estates - nowhere in the subdivision are there any "no parking" signs.  I'm assuming that there may be some provision related to the current evacuation, but to my knowledge any such provision has not been articulated.

Third, if the checkpoints are doing their job, there shouldn't be anyone (or at least any vehicle) in Leilani Estates that isn't a resident.  And if that's the case, by definition the police should know that only residents that paid for the streets are the ones parking there.

Fourth, if what you stated about media access is correct, that's really screwed up, because I should have the ability to drive around the neighborhood and park and look at things and judge for myself what is going on and what is new.  The subdivision is quite large, and new fissures, cracks, etc. can spring up whenever, and it's been almost uniformly the local residents that have identified most of the new action, and these parking tickets dissuade people from doing this exact thing.

Now, one could argue that either 1) you can walk without prohibition and/or 2) just don't park the car (i.e., just drive by).  But for case number 1, that's impractical for many folks, and if something did pop up unexpectedly, I'd hate to have to literally outrun whatever is going on.  And for case number 2, there's not nearly as much you can make out from your from seat as when you can walk around, crouch, closely examine things, etc.

People are raising a ruckus about this on NextDoor, and hopefully this will be addressed in the appropriate manner in the near term.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

And things are looking quiet over at F17. 

5b0ae78f2b784_morning7-10amHST-1.jpg.9e0

@Hilo Jason, man what a night you had! Thank you for sharing your experience and the photos. I'm re-reading your post now. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many, unless you are now inspired to be a lava chaser ;) LOL. Can you imagine being a geologist or a lava photographer and doing this for a living?

As for the police presence, they really are there by law trying to keep everyone safe. I know Scott was sounding upset too when he got a parking ticket the other day, especially being a resident staying in LE during this. I think he thought about it overnight and seemed a bit less annoyed by it in the next day's video but he did bring it up again and discussed it a bit at length. I think he said it was a $35 fee, and when he went back down by Kuhauki the next day (when he figured few people would be around, this would be after the lava had crossed the street), he said it was worth another $35. Definitely could hear the frustration of the ticket. Scott did mention that once the area was declared an emergency situation other laws come into place, such as the policing of the streets in the area, so well it is what it is I guess. And if everyone parked their car while watching lava it could end up being a safety issue for cars suddenly needing to leave the area due to lava or SO2 and lead to someone's death. Travis (FB Lavanews) has warned people in his videos and posts that if people enter the "stinky" end of LE (where their warehouse is and he was staying) they need SO2 respirators with them and an eruption or crack that suddenly happened could prevent them from driving out and having to try to walk out. 

So I'm trying to picture where the second photo with the house being in the path of the lava was shot to match with activity they end up reporting for last night. Any idea? I have noticed that even with the google community map project app, that it's taking people longer to update the maps. Haven't checked yet today but I know that USGS maps have had quite a bit of delay. Last night before going to bed I think I posted something about a sluggish lava breakout that went towards the west side of Leilani Estates. Not sure if the timing of that could be when you were there? The days and things happening are kind of blending in my mind as they are going by/happening so fast lately.

• Upvote 1

Here's the USGS update Alert from this morning, Sun 5/27 @ 6:51am HST (9:51am PDT). Starts off with vigorous eruption of lava continuing in the area of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Lava ocean entry remained active so some of it is flowing off land.

F21 in LE, is feeding an 'a'a flow that continues to advance to the NE of PGV property with rate of advance slowing overnight and coindicentally observed with decline in vigor at F21. However F7 also in LE increased in activity overnight with spatter embankments over 100 feet tall from fountains reaching 150-200 feet high. The fountain fed a perched pahoehoe flow estimated at 20-40 feet thick. The flow from that started to turn south toward the coast last night. 

More in LE -- large cracks observed on Kupono St about 360 yards north of Malama St, near F9. F8 had 3 active vents overnight with spattering and flaming. They have doubled in size over the last 24 hours. F6 was inactive.

Wow, that was all from LE.

They are still checking the cracks on Hwy 130 as I've read from Civil Defense reports that state it is heated and while safe still (and metal plated over) people transversing it are advised to keep their windows closed doing so. 

Gases from the fissures remains very high. Tradewinds are expected to diminish today, Sunday, and people could be impacted by the Vog.

Magma is still moving down the rift and earthquakes locations remain in the same general area and low in number.

More on the Summit location action in the Alert.

The USGS map hasn't been updated since Saturday at 3pm HST, so doesn't reflect any of the vigorous action of the afternoon/evening hours.

• Upvote 1

Travis Sanders (FB Lavanews) had this video of lava movement on the Malama side of Luana last night. Video (live feed 11 hours ago) by Isaac Krakauer (LE resident). https://www.facebook.com/isaac.krakauer/videos/1730550577032566/

No word from him (Travis) on lava intrusion advance they were especting down by the warehouse he was at last night at Pohoiki Road. Travis has been a great source of info from that end of LE and not sure if lava does reach them there that he will have the ability to fb in the near term. Also don't know if Shane (Lava Ocean Tours) lost his house and warehouse overnight. There is a new video posted from the boat this morning I have yet to watch and unfortunately am about to leave for brunch out. But here's the link to Lava News' site where you can check. https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/posts/?ref=page_internal

I do see that someone commented to the video that they were sorry he was losing his house so thinking he discusses it in the video.

• Upvote 1

Debbie,

The screen shot below has a pin dropped on the home we were at last night.  Also, the home that is north of the pin drop on Nohea (closer to the Leilani intersection) is where we saw the trees on fire in the backyard. So I would be surprised if that one also didn't burn. With the amount of lava that we saw flowing in that direction, seems to me that this area must look very different this morning than what we saw last night. 

IMG_0789.thumb.PNG.8d96d3b3aeecac9ae647a

• Upvote 1

Last thing I will leave you guys with before heading out for awhile is the fb page post from Mileka Lincoln about PGV saying that lava has reached a portion of the 40 acre plant.

5b0af5c4cde9c_Mileka-1.jpg.5c50d91647f1e

I have found Mileka's fb postings (sometimes with videos) and Travis' to be some of the best up-to-date info I've found on news of the area and Leilani Estates. Once again here's Mileka's fb page. https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn/

• Upvote 1

Back for a bit and checked in on CNN feed. They changed the camera location. Wonder where this is exactly. If you look on the far left midway up you can see the orange glow of hot lava in the flow. Can't say this looks like a lava lake. 

5b0b097f3b002_Cnn-1.jpg.67f0888485230e15

went for a bigger image where you can see more glowing lava. Oh, and if watching live it's moving! Cool shot. 

5b0b0a34b70a0_Cnn-1(1).thumb.jpg.489d22e

I can hear a guy in the background saying this was as close as they could get to the flowing lava and while the light gray area might look stationary it is moving. Dang I've adjust the volume on the video and on my computer and can't get it any louder. Very hard to hear from where the mic is located from them but clearly this is somewhere in view of the House. Since the photographer from Civil Beat may still be at the house (Anthony wasn't sure what his plans were) I checked their feed site hoping at least the Live Chat might be going in conjunction with people watching the CNN feed but no luck. I thought I had seen CNN have a live chat at one time but now.

Is that Rusty the lava rooster crowing? I thought maybe he had been evac'd already. 

• Upvote 1

Just checked the google community mapping project and here's what they are showing now. Latest community update posted was as of 9:30am HST with the following description: "lava flow immediately behind building on PGV's Pad E." as of 6:30am HST: "Fountaining near Nohea St., F7 and F21 5-7 flows adjusted, earthquakes updated. I'll look for an updated USGS one, in the meantime here's the google one. You can zoom in a bit to it if you click on it.

5b0b0f8e466ae_mapgoogleflow-1.thumb.jpg.

Here's link I used for the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&mid=1CvBhH9wEeztBrqYbsGDi4YjU1k1QH5AL&ll=19.46626853484471%2C-154.89774942395343&z=16

When I clicked on the new flow by Nohea on the map, it showed info from last night (I posted link to Isaac Krakauer video in above thread from LavaNews) but saw this new one from this morning posted by Bruce Omori who was doing an overflight. https://www.facebook.com/bruceomori/videos/2146915381992098/

Gotta run now for the rest of the day. Seeing double header with friends of Alfred Hitchcock movies on peninsula at Stanford Theater. Not many chances to see great movies like this on the large screen.

• Upvote 1

I'm reminded of getting to see a beautiful new print of "Apocalypse Now" on a local theater's biggest screen a decade or so ago.  It was a revelation.  I need to go ahead with planning for the August visit, making no assumptions about Kilauea.  I have a couple of nights reserved for Volcano House cabins, nice if they're open then, although that seems most unlikely.   

At one travel forum, I resorted to pointing out that if the Big Island were overall a dangerous place, Mauna Kea wouldn't have the world's greatest astronomical observatory.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We just watched a new 70 mm print of 2001, a Space Odyssey.  Really great.  Even better was a 70mm print of Lawrence of Arabia.  The color saturation was phenomenal !!

San Francisco, California

I've heard of the restoration and new print(s) of 2001, but haven't figured out which big city I'd have to go to.  I think "Apocalypse" was the result of a major lobbying job by the local art museum's film instructor, who at the time was doing his weekly classes at the local theater, which usually ran the shows for a week.  Got to see Dunkirk on an Imax digital screen.  There's no Imax film facility in Florida.

The May 27 USGS lava map is not encouraging, but at least it's not quite as bright red as other recent maps.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

If you are interested in following the issues with lava and the PGV wells (one well has been covered by lava), I'd suggest taking a look at the following. Given there were several posts while I was gone, it's easier for you to scroll through them yourself I think and watch the videos but below is a brief recap of what you'll see.

They just cargo plane'd in 200,000 lbs of bentonite clay (the mud mixture they use to seal oil wells at sea underwater) or another post called the material barite (not sure which one it is). The plane landed in Kona and will be trunked out from there. This was 1 hr ago. I read all this over at Mileka Lincoln's fb page which I will link to. There are several posts made throughout day updating the situation at PGV. She has a few videos posted there too, Gov. Ige and Tom Travis (Hawaii Emergency Management) speaking on the issue. If you read down through the earlier posts you'll see the 7:30am HST post that includes a photo of the lava at the plant (by G. Brad Lewis, volcanoman.com). Since the wells have been sealed, I'm left questioning what the purpose of the cargo'd in material is for. https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

I'm also posting a link to Travis Sanders (FB LavaNews) Video that was live streamed earlier today. It's filmed again from the warehouse roof near Pohoiki Road (the lava hasn't reached there yet but they make reference to a new fissure (F24 they think) that can be seen across the field on the other side of the trees that is pretty active. The fissure next to it he said is much taller fountaining then the new one. Estimate maybe 500 ft.? He points out the lava flow that is between his location and PGV (I'm thinking this might be the one that came across Kahukai and Pohoiki Road but not sure). He points out the area of PVG where there was a recent steam cloud that apparently Ikaika Marzo indicated to someone was a pond of water near the wells (actually this was mentioned in the comments by someone on the Mileka fb page.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/videos/

• Upvote 1

This is a good aerial video segment on Mileka's fb page showing PGV and the SE corner of Leilani Estates. From it you can see how the lava crossed over from LE and past Pohoiki Road.  OMG who would have thought the 'a'a lava flow that went through Kaupili would have expanded to the extent it did. https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn/videos/1793910987334454/

• Upvote 1

If I'm reading Mileka's FB post correctly, sounds like what we witnessed last night could have been the beginning of fissure 24 or 25! 

13 hours ago, Justin said:

This pisses me off on so many levels. 

First and foremost, Leilani Estates has private roads.  Meaning we paid for them to be built and maintained.  So this is akin to getting a parking ticket in your own driveway.

Second, I'm not aware of any prohibitions against parking in Leilani Estates - nowhere in the subdivision are there any "no parking" signs.  I'm assuming that there may be some provision related to the current evacuation, but to my knowledge any such provision has not been articulated.

Third, if the checkpoints are doing their job, there shouldn't be anyone (or at least any vehicle) in Leilani Estates that isn't a resident.  And if that's the case, by definition the police should know that only residents that paid for the streets are the ones parking there.

Fourth, if what you stated about media access is correct, that's really screwed up, because I should have the ability to drive around the neighborhood and park and look at things and judge for myself what is going on and what is new.  The subdivision is quite large, and new fissures, cracks, etc. can spring up whenever, and it's been almost uniformly the local residents that have identified most of the new action, and these parking tickets dissuade people from doing this exact thing.

Now, one could argue that either 1) you can walk without prohibition and/or 2) just don't park the car (i.e., just drive by).  But for case number 1, that's impractical for many folks, and if something did pop up unexpectedly, I'd hate to have to literally outrun whatever is going on.  And for case number 2, there's not nearly as much you can make out from your from seat as when you can walk around, crouch, closely examine things, etc.

People are raising a ruckus about this on NextDoor, and hopefully this will be addressed in the appropriate manner in the near term.

I thought the same thing about the private roads and the fact that there are no signs posted anywhere in the neighborhood that say "no parking".  Also, the police were not telling us this when we went through the checkpoint to get in the neighborhood.  Seems to me like it's a situation they have no control over or really know what to do with, and they are just trying to come up with ways to appear "in control" of the situation.  I mean this as no disrespect to any police here, but just my observations from the situation and from trying to talk to the officers last night while they were writing up the tickets.  

And yeah, there were a couple of media / film crews there on Leilani and Nohea intersection including one group of about 6 guys, all with big cameras, from Korea.  

The crazy thing is we were trying to get out of their fairly quickly after seeing the river of lava flowing behind Nohea and we could barely get out because there were at least 6 police vehicles on the corner, writing up all the tickets and making it hard to get out!  So much for a safe and quick evacuation if needed.  All the residents were parked off of the road and not blocking anything! 

Just saw this photo posted on volcanoes.usgs.gov today.  This is on Leilani Ave, exactly where I was last night.  You can see how the lava has advanced since my photo last night. 

USGS Pic from today:

leilani.thumb.jpeg.dd2c52b5e2067b23d1661

my picture from last night:

5b0b9f5c9693c_fissure7.thumb.JPG.6a16607

Look at the tall King Palm that is not drooping yet.  In my pic it is still surrounded by bushes.  In today's picture is is engulfed by lava.  Crazy for me to see as I was standing next to that palm last night thinking about how it might make it as the lava had not made it there yet and it seemed to me that there was no flow pushing in that direction when I was there.

There is just so much lava pumping out down there, it's utterly incredible! 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

If I'm reading Mileka's FB post correctly, sounds like what we witnessed last night could have been the beginning of fissure 24 or 25! 

I just took another look at the google community project map and they have not identified any new fissures on it yet. Here's the latest USGS Map updated as of 2:30pm HST (5:30pm PDT). Fissure 24 has been identified on it but not F25. I think F24, which is closer to Malama than Leilani St., happened where the house that was going to be swallowed with the huge ground crack and reported steaming had arisen from. Not surprising given the cracks that were massive. When I looked at the google community project map it in fact no longer shows that house that use to be indicated by a yellow mark on the map.

5b0ba1d4983ec_F24-1.thumb.jpg.0889751f1f

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

I just took another look at the google community project map and they have not identified any new fissures on it yet. Here's the latest USGS Map updated as of 2:30pm HST (5:30pm PDT). Fissure 24 has been identified on it but not F25. I think F24 which is closer to Malama than Leilani is where the house that was going to be swallowed with the huge ground crack and reported steaming has arisen from. Not surprising given the cracks that were massive.

5b0ba1d4983ec_F24-1.thumb.jpg.0889751f1f

ok, thanks for the info! 

@Hilo Jason, am I correct that the house you pinned was on the other side of Leilani from F24? Believe I read there was a small outbreak from the giant lava lake around F21 that was the cause of what you saw. Said it moves west and was sluggish which I interpreted as not moving far or fast.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

@Hilo Jason, am I correct that the house you pinned was on the other side of Leilani from F24? Believe I read there was a small outbreak from the giant lava lake around F21 that was the cause of what you saw. Said it moves west and was sluggish which I interpreted as not moving far or fast.

I took the photo of the map you posted earlier and put a yellow arrow pointing to the house that I was at last night.  

map.thumb.jpg.6b07c1300e99efd1e08d781dd6

• Upvote 2