IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Heading out for the night but if anyone is up watching the Civil Beat live feed and wondering what's happened to the audio, I'm been able to watch the live chat on my laptop, and saw that Anthony (Civil Beat) said that the homeowners came home tonight and Civil Beat wanted to give them their privacy so turned that feature off.

Also will mention that Anthony just said he would be steaming live from the Civil Beat facebook page tomorrow at 11am HST (2pm PDT) to answer questions about their coverage.

• Upvote 2

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Monday morning in Hawaii. Not seeing Civil Beat's feed up this morning, 6am HST. Update: it's live now. Saw that Pando posted above.

Travis Sanders (FB lavanews) is Live streaming on top of his shop's roof looking out at lower Puna and the eruption there. Here's his FB video where the live feed is. Click on 'view on Facebook' below if only seeing the message. Hate that fb put up this message block. Youtube is so much easier to find people on and not exclusive like fb where you have to be more creative getting to feeds.

Also Shane's live video from his boat is up I heard (FB lavaocean).

And Bruce? is live in the helicopter. Just got Bruces feed url from the chat on Travis lavanews site. His facebook account is bruceomori. Facebook make it so hard to view this stuff if your not a member. I'm able to watch Travis' roof top live feed but having difficulty seeing the others, although for a moment I saw Bruce's helicopter one when I first posted the link below.

• Upvote 2

Watching Shane Turpin live on the boat approaching the flows (short live video which ended). I understand in listening to Travis that the boat dock at the coast is damaged but still there.

Other things I'm hearing is that Dan (think his last name is Vitali) is going to try to pull out the car in Leilani Estates that is stuck in the crack (forgot the street now). Scott was going to go down there and see if he can reach the owner. Not sure if Dan has found the owner or not. Dan btw was in one of Lava News' video and he lost his house. He's looking to give back. Travis was saying he was thinking of setting up a Go-fund-me account for him as he knows Dan won't. Travis was also saying that Shane lives near "the post" (offical area) and they haven't let him come in (to Leilani I believe) for several days now.

Travis said the only thing that has scared him is that when he leaves, they won't let him back in. He's talking about how frustrating it is to have to pack up and move out a lot of your belongings and not knowing if it's going to pass you by and it's a wasted effort. He's talking more about Leilani now, saying that the upper half of the subdivision there is perfectly safe and people can sleep there but should have a respirator for when the winds change. He's a renter in Leilani so has helped people move. He's frustrated by how things are being handled by officials. He understands the need to keep looters out but they're also keeping homeowners out. Understands when there's SO2 levels but that's not the case all the time in other areas and people are sometimes losing all their belongings when they are refused access.

Still listening to his feed. And BTW when a FB feed gets cut off by FB where they put up a window blocking you from watching and say log in, I've been successful continuing to watch by refreshing the page at that point and hitting the play arrow again.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update.  I'm surprised that car on Moku is still there.  Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to pull out, as two tires are still on the pavement.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure from things I've seen and read over the last couple weeks that Shane lived just off of Pohoiki Road, between 132 and Leilani.  So this would explain how he was able to be right there at all of the flows.  [It also makes me think that some of those flows must have been far too close for comfort.]

I'm hoping that sometime in the next week or two they re-evaluate what to do with "upper" (western) Leilani, as that part of the subdivision is fine, and if they continue to treat it as a warzone, the entire neighborhood will be overgrown, dilapidated, and fodder for thieves in short order.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

On 5/20/2018, 9:01:34, bgl said:

Last night between 9 and 10 pm I was over on lower Kahukai Street, a short distance from where it connects with Leilani Avenue. I spent that hour on the back lanai of the house that's behind the three Alexandra palms in the photo I posted yesterday. I was there with a couple of other guys. Checking the map this morning I know that the constant fountaining we were witnessing was from F22, just about half a mile away from our vantage point. Unfortunately, despite trying a few different settings on the camera, I found it difficult to catch what we were seeing. It was as if the sensors on the camera were overwhelmed by all the light. But I am estimating that the lava probably erupted up to about 200 ft in the air. Incredibly impressive. It's difficult to make out the actual fountaining in this photo but it is of course right behind the tall Albizia tree.

DSC_0452.JPG

Bo, not to go off on a tangent here, but here's my two cents on how to best photograph something like this.  I would suggest spot metering (as opposed to evaluative or center-weighted or whatever else your camera has) and spot focus.  I use spot metering and spot focus whenever I'm trying to take a photo of a difficult subject that is around a bunch of other noisy-type objects.  I learned the hard way, after having a ton of photos on safari not turn out well because the camera focused on a tree branch instead of a monkey, made mountain gorillas far too dark because it didn't want to lighten up the green shrubs around them, etc.  Spot metering will get the exposure correct for the tiny point you focus on, the rest of the shot be damned.  So it would likely underexpose the trees and other items, but the orange lava would not be overexposed.  And the focus would be tight on the lava, not the Albizias or other potential focal points for the camera.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

21 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

Finally got to a quiet place to watch the video and ocean entry is always so cool to see. BTW Shane is a certified master class Coast Guard qualified captain for tour boats, or something like that, but highly qualified anyway, and had been doing lava boat tours there in Puna for many years. I looked him up awhile ago as people have mentioned his name but I never found photos/video from him of the Leilani eruption. Love to see him share his videos from this aspect that not many can. Thanks Kim for posting the fb link so we can all see. 

Long trip from Hilo by water. Wonder if they experience laze on that side of the steam.

I've been on Shane's lava boat at least a half-dozen times, starting in 2013.  It's one of my highlights from my travels all over the world, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  There's nowhere else in the world that reliably has lava flowing into the ocean, where the sights and sounds are mesmerizing.  Here's a couple pictures I got over the years, and one video of last year's "fire hose."

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Lava2016-010.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_2673.jpg

(Not sure how to embed the video, but trust me it's not spam).

Edited by Justin
Trying to embed Youtube video
  • Upvote 5

Justin, thanks a lot for that piece of very useful information. Will definitely have to educate myself about this, so your thoughts are really appreciated. :) (And those are great photos!). Drove around to the usual places a little while ago. First photo, the end of Moku Street (and as can be seen, the car is still stuck in the crack) and the second photo is at the end of Kupono Street. LOTS of steam activity this morning

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And then to the hilltop location at the lower (eastern) end of Kahukai Street. Truly amazing fountaining from F20 (I think it's 20, havn't checked the map). About half a mile away, Bummer with the tall Albizia tree that's in the way but this is the only vantage point with a somewhat clear view. I am estimating that the lava was going up at least 300 ft into the air. An incredible sight.

DSC_0480.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

• Upvote 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

1 minute ago, bgl said:

And then to the hilltop location at the lower (eastern) end of Kahukai Street. Truly amazing fountaining from F20 (I think it's 20, havn't checked the map). About half a mile away, Bummer with the tall Albizia tree that's in the way but this is the only vantage point with a somewhat clear view.

DSC_0480.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

Wow, just wow.

57 minutes ago, Justin said:

I've been on Shane's lava boat at least a half-dozen times, starting in 2013.  It's one of my highlights from my travels all over the world, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  There's nowhere else in the world that reliably has lava flowing into the ocean, where the sights and sounds are mesmerizing.  Here's a couple pictures I got over the years, and one video of last year's "fire hose."

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Lava2016-010.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_2673.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nofn23x5X4Y

Excellent photography! Thanks for posting Justin. :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here's a picture (Mon, May 21, 8:30 am) showing some of the defoliation near the intersection of Nohea St and Leilani Ave.

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates

IMG_1391.JPG

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry that when we've been down on the Puna side of the island we never had a chance time-wise to do the boat tour. Went up in a chopper from Hilo and over Leilani and went around to Pu'uO'o and the coast and saw the lava flowing into the ocean that way. It was pretty spectacular from above but down at ocean level is the ultimate view. Too bad there's never enough vacation time to do all we want to do and see. :( 

Man are those great shots @Justin. Hope Shane's location over there doesn't get overrun by lava. "Damage", unspecified, to the dock you can probably fix, but not so much if under lava. 

@bgl, F20 combined has really turned out to be a real pumper location. I wonder how long it will continue and from listening to the interview with Philip Ong, maybe it will go for some time. I can't believe it's so high and visible from where you are at. I kind of like those Albiza trees although I've seen Scott comment on how they are quite a problem. I like their open canopy shape and they do make a nice sillouette at night in front of the lava fountaining. Certainly saw plenty of views of it by F17 when it was really active!

5b03221e7561c_albiziatree-1.jpg.cd8e361e

OMG just checked Civil Beat's feed and look at this thing now. :bemused: Not sure if the albizia in this photo below reached 120 ft or so but that fountain is way above it. No wonder you guys can see the lava from where you are at.

5b03232fdefd8_F20combined-1.jpg.044e8949

• Upvote 2

From my newsletter on 5/16, a Report from inside the House off Hwy 132 with Civil Beat' Anthony and WXChasing, Brandon. Video. Anthony appears distracted during this, probably in part due to lack of sleep and the booming eruptions but thought you guys would find it interesting to see the house and the people behind the feed.

http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/what-its-like-spending-three-days-watching-a-volcano/

BTW on the albizia tree in the last photo in the previous post, USGS is calling it F22 and says the lava fountain has been reaching 164 feet (50m)

• Upvote 2

Not all of Scott Wiggers (ApuaHawaiiTours) videos have been posted since Sunday when I was away from the computer but people can get caught up by visiting his TY site directly. Here's his video page: https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos. Some of them are short and single focused others are more narrative and long. I like YT because anyone can view content there. Subscribe to Scott's channel if you want to get alerts on new videos, and like them if you appreciate them.

Anyway I did want to post the video on the erupting pahoehoe they encountered today on Pohoiki Road.

And the guys decide to wander past Leilani Estates and get as close as they can to Fissure 20 down past PGV in this next one. Wow impressive even walking up to it from a distance.

And of course Pele draws them in even closer:

And closer:

• Upvote 2

BTW as for the description of the Fissure number for what we've seen pouring out a lot of lava that's actually Fissure 22 acording to USGS in an interview for Big Island Video News. Another interesting thing we learned from the conference during questioning is that the cracks at Hwy 130 are hot. Not producing SO2 but it was repeated that it is hot. Nice aerial footage from Mick Kalber and Flight by Paradise Helicopters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSyDqJDdgQ

• Upvote 2

Tuesday morning update:

From Civil Defense Big Island Video News at 5pm HST Monday night: Lava from F22 (which Scott Wiggers was at yesterday if you saw his videos above) has entered the Puna Geothermal Venture plant property. The flow of lava to the ocean is now entering by one path. Video below showing flyover (including area Scott and Bill were at yesterday), full text of broadcast at link above.

In the article they also published the latest USGS thermal map of the area:

Map: US Geological Society

5b043289d0cc3_Thermalmap052118-1.thumb.j

Thought I'd also add here the latest USGS map with decent lines, from 5/21 8am HST.

Map: US Geological Society

5b043300bc4a9_Map052118.thumb.jpg.930721

• Upvote 2

A number of people during the Civil Beat live video chats have expressed wanting to thank the homeowners for allowing the camera set up at their house near Hwy 132. If anyone here would like to send a personal thank you along to the owners, David and John, you can do so by addressing it to: Honolulu Civil Beat, Attn: Anthony Quintano, 3465 Waialae Ave., Suite 200, Honolulu, HI 96816.

Here's the Honolulu Civil Beat Live feed link for this morning. Sunrise in Puna is at 5:43am HST (8:43am PDT). Rusty the Rooster is crowing. Light intermittent rain right now.

• Upvote 2

New voices at the house and believe from the feed that some different news reporters are there. This from audio on the Live feed (some news reporter can be heard talking to someone): The homeowner, Daryl, who was hit by a lava bomb the size of a bowling ball while on his porch the other day was taken to the hospital by his ex-wife* who was there. She reportedly said that the lava was so hot that it cauterized the damage to his leg, but caught the porch on fire which neighbors put out. The reporter also stated that the 2 houses that Daryl was looking after are still there. They mentioned his last name so probably reported in the press but I wasn't sure what I heard.

Here's a news story from Newsweek that mentions the lava bomb incident. I believe the photo shown is from the guys balcony. Unfortunately no real coverage of the incident or interview with him or any witnesses.

*same reporter was heard later in feed as referring to her as his wife, so unclear their relationship. He now is referring to her as his ex-wife again when talking to someone else. He further says that they actually interviewed the guy the day before he was hit. He was staying at the house and taking care of the houses putting out any fires that happened from flying spatter. Good news is he is doing fine. Has had 2 surgeries already and may need more but he's in good condition. I haven't been able to determine who this reporter is or with what outlet, but if I do I'll see if I can find the stories they are doing.

Sunrise. Heard they still have filters on the camera lens.

5b043b3e2cfd8_Sunrise-1(1).thumb.jpg.052

6am HST now and the helicopters are flying overhead for a morning assessment.

Edited by WestCoastGal
updated with info on man hit with lava bomb several days ago
  • Upvote 2

If you are following the lava intrusion that started yesterday on the property of Puna Geothermal Venture, this Tuesday morning article will explain more about the status there and the difficulty they have been having cooling KS14. http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/22/hawaii-news/crews-struggle-to-quench-geothermal-power-plant-wells-as-lava-advances/

From what I'm seeing on the feed, there is a big berm that has stalled the lava from the plant. If you watched that Pahoehoe video awhile back that was linked to from 2014, you saw how pahoehoe inflates itself from inside the crust and will grow in height and many times then have a break out and send fresh lava flowing where before it couldn't reach. Actually on Scott's videos from the area yesterday you could see lava at the top of the spatter area starting to crack with orange visible. So the berm may hold it back for the time being and buy the plant time to finish up their work. BTW this is not a situation that has apparently been encountered before according to Talmadge (civil defense spokesman) so no one is sure what will happen when the wells get covered from above with lava.

Edited by WestCoastGal
updated info on berm
  • Upvote 2

Looked at feed after hearing a nearby chopper and we should get some really good aerial footage from this! Must be really hot for them.

5b0447969cbc1_Chopper-1.jpg.deb38393a8cb

5b044799625ae_Chopper-3.jpg.188be723c688

5b0447980de69_Chopper-2.jpg.eb93299e58ed

• Upvote 3

OK found a few news stories with some very interesting and fascinating photos from people's homes right on the front line so to speak of the erupting lava area. How would you like to have a front row seat?! Yikes.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/20/man-hit-lava-bomb-volcano-eruption-blocks-escape-routes-7562058/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/19/pensioners-terrifying-view-hawaii-volcano-bedroom-window-7559059/

Not from a home but some interesting close up photos of people and lava:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/21/sea-lava-dwarfs-man-kilauea-volcano-continues-erupt-7564289/

• Upvote 4

Hey DoomsDave (seeing 18 notifications from you just now --thanks nice to get a nod on the posts!) guess you are just getting caught up with the latest news! Hope you have the time to check out some of the amazing videos as well. 

Now that the lava has been flowing for a few days down in this farthest area and things are remaining somewhat calm back in Leilani, athough there's some lava action there and streets and the ground is looking worse in spots, the events out of the area aren't being as readily reported, so kind of quiet news day. I think any Summit explosions and the PGV plant right now are the "hot" areas of interest and concern.

• Upvote 2

Live feed audio. Guy is George from CNN at the house, so I'll check their site for stories. 

They are panning camera.

• Upvote 2

They've been talking to Anthony back at Civil Beat and adjusting the camera. Think this is the first pan of the surrounding area. Also views of CNN correspondent is setting up for their coverage and we'll be able to hear it here on the live feed. Kind of interesting in and of itself.

5b044f2a2e9e4_pan-1.jpg.6ba4d3ffa0246ee3

5b044f2be3b1b_pan-2.jpg.6ad5332c252b60bf

5b044f2d49b99_pan-3.jpg.17a457ddd12a693d

5b044f2eab63f_pan-4.jpg.79f04af97484b277

• Upvote 3

More panning to the left and then back. What a beautiful day it is there!

5b044f7996350_morepan-1.jpg.b9e2665379f3

5b044f7ac378d_morepan-2.jpg.4e1dcec38941

5b044f7bedcdb_morepan-3.jpg.ed2c14d78552

OMG look at how high that cone is!!!! :bemused:

5b044f7d67a6a_morepan-4.jpg.965eccb70e5f

5b044f7edf91a_morepan-5.jpg.d217606e36c4

• Upvote 3

Setting up for the CNN broadcast.

5b044fdcbfcaf_CNNsetup-1.jpg.6c93f50be31

5b044fde2d49a_CNNsetup-2.jpg.553b5c59e69

I was looking at the growing height of these fissures. This house they are at was described as being about 300 feet above what was the "valley" floor before. 

It's almost 7:30am HST (10:30am PDT) and waiting for the CNN broadcast to happen while watching the live Civil Beat feed. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Hey DoomsDave (seeing 18 notifications from you just now --thanks nice to get a nod on the posts!) guess you are just getting caught up with the latest news! Hope you have the time to check out some of the amazing videos as well. 

Now that the lava has been flowing for a few days down in this farthest area and things are remaining somewhat calm back in Leilani, athough there's some lava action there and streets and the ground is looking worse in spots, the events out of the area aren't being as readily reported, so kind of quiet news day. I think any Summit explosions and the PGV plant right now are the "hot" areas of interest and concern.

You're welcome!

Your work is outstanding. I've shared this with other people who felt frustrated that local Hawaiian officials weren't prepared and weren't providing information.

And kudos to @bglfor bravery. I think I'd be hiding in my brother's Ohio basement . . . .

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just headed over to the CNN site to see what was on their Live feed. They use Adobe flash I'm guessing so will be watching Civil Beat feed and maybe check on their video if posted later.

I'm sure residents on the Island know to check the Civil Defense Message and Alerts page but here it is for the rest of us if you want to know more specifics for the local area. 

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

Big Island Video News is civil defense's site as well.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com

Other sources I find helpful in my research:

Big Island Now: http://bigislandnow.com

KHON2: http://www.khon2.com (look for the Kilauea Eruption Links midway down the page)

Hawaii News Now: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com  Mikeka Lincoln is their reporter who is covering the Puna eruption and frequently does local people stories and has reported on the Info Supply Hub that Ikaika Marzo helped set up with friends. She has a FB page and Instagram page that sometimes has breaking stories on it. ( https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn/ and https://www.instagram.com/milekalincoln/ ).

Both news stations also have their own live feeds that you can find by looking at their upper menu bar.

One very important site for Alerts of the Summit and Lower Rift Zone, photos, maps and earthquake activity, would of course be the USGS site. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the updates, Debbie! :) And I have been up on that lanai myself a few times over the last several days. Great vantage point. I just wish someone would cut down those annoying Albizia trees that are blocking the view! :mrlooney: I was over there a couple of times yesterday, including a quick visit just before 6 pm when Dean (our moderator here on PalmTalk) and Angela paid me a visit. The lava was being pushed even higher at that time compared to ten hours earlier when I was there (yesterday morning). Easy to compare against the Albizia trees and see the difference. Watching these stupendous amounts of lava being pushed up hundreds of feet in the air and then sort of disintegrating and falling back down is simply mesmerizing. Here's one of the photos I took last night.

DSC_0520.JPG

• Upvote 2

Still waiting for the CNN broadcast. BTW since not everyone has the time to link to everything I try to post a screen grab or photos with links when I can so it's a quick "look see". Plus not being on FB or Instagram and not always able to access it myself I understand the frustration of knowing some news is out there I would like to see and the link not working all the time. Since PGV is a main concern right now thought I'd share this screen grab from Mikela Lincoln's Instagram post on it. Very nice aerial shot showing how close the lava is to it (photo from yesterday btw).

5b045b00d1762_PGV-1.thumb.jpg.f8b6ea935b

• Upvote 1

WoW went to grab lunch and make a phone call came back to see this. Had to check to see if it was live and not a replay from yesterday or so. I know it's been raining off and on but Fissure 17 sure came alive. Compare to the photo I took not that long ago when they panned the area. Always interesting!!

5b0463ed3ec6e_F17aliveagain-1.jpg.7b715c

• Upvote 1

Thought maybe it's time to show some updated maps given the lava to the ocean and changes in Leilani Estates and surrounding community. Getting hard to fit all on one page infact the large map cut off some of what I was going to show and I didn't want to go too zoomed out with the image. Outlined PGV in green.

NOTE: They updated the map info to now include Mile Markers. Also notice that the streets within Leilani are showing effectively closed most of the way now due to lava and road/ground cracks. Effectively the eastern side of Leilani is showing closed off. I believe even Scott in one of his videos indicated it wasn't worth him checking out certain streets any more due to the road conditions. We have 2 active fissures in Leilani as of 9am HST (noon PDT)--F6 near Pohoiki Road and F5 near lower Leilani. It appears that the most northern toes of the lava near F17 are following the decent lines in that area and will likely cross Hwy 137 in at least one other location up the coast and given the volume of lava reaching the surface will likely spread out over time to cover even more coastline.

5b046dc176b6f_FissureMap052218large.thum

5b046dbf1c846_Fissuremap052218Westhalf9a

5b046dc04116b_FissureMap052218EastHalf9a

• Upvote 2

Those are great maps, Debbie, but not necessarily 100% accurate. Alapai and Pomaikai have both remained open all along. Havn't checked out Oneloa or Maile, though. What's shown for the eastern (shaded) part of Leilani Estates is all accurate.

EDIT - well not quite. Just noticed that Mohala is shown totally closed. Again, not quite correct. The extreme northern part is open.

EDIT2 - and interesting that the intersection of Kahukai and Leilani Avenue is not shown as closed off. There's no way anyone would willingly drive through the massive steam clouds there!

• Upvote 1

Scott (YT ApauHawaiiTours) is speechless this morning. If you saw his videos from yesterday he went to the Pig House and now the whole area is red with flames. He can't get over that he and Bill were just standing there. 

Couldn't resist spending more time filming this.

Different view from lower Kahukai a little bit later. The road crack has filled with lava since they were there.

Wow this area just looks like a big lava lake now.

Scott posted this corrected url for Doing Hawaii YT videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/doinghawaii

• Upvote 1

Scott's having a hard time leaving this area :lol:.  This is just amazing. 

But finally on to take another look at Nohea St.  

And back to the cachment tank on Nohea where he was the other day. More on the cachment tank discussed.

If you missed out on his past videos, here's his YT video page: https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos

Give him a like there if you're enjoying his videos and want to comment on any of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bgl said:

Those are great maps, Debbie, but not necessarily 100% accurate. Alapai and Pomaikai have both remained open all along. Havn't checked out Oneloa or Maile, though. What's shown for the eastern (shaded) part of Leilani Estates is all accurate.

EDIT - well not quite. Just noticed that Mohala is shown totally closed. Again, not quite correct. The extreme northern part is open.

EDIT2 - and interesting that the intersection of Kahukai and Leilani Avenue is not shown as closed off. There's no way anyone would willingly drive through the massive steam clouds there!

Justin when he was there mentioned that some of the western half of streets on the map looked passable to him. But it's good you are mentioning again as I'm sure residents in the area of those streets are wondering about those areas too. My best guess is I'm assuming Civil Defense has them marked to indicate where there are cracks in the road or on people's lots (saw I think one of Scott's videos of a lot in one of those areas that was steaming through the trees--he didn't enter the property though) and where they need to keep more an eye on them.

Wish I could be there to see for myself and take in the lava. The night time views you guys have is something few will experience. And let's face it, this is nothing like going to Hawaii Volcano National Park. And with the area being cordoned off to only residents, you are among a select few other than USGS, civil defense, HELCO, police and National Guard to get to see it. Oh and of course a few of the news crews and the government officials who came to tour early on.

Doing all this research to keep people informed is helping me to know the street names and the Puna area. When we get back to the Island I'll probably be able to navigate pretty well :) and know all kinds of cool stuff about it and the lava. 

Oooh, latest camera live feed. 

5b0478c725b39_fury-1.jpg.17332cd6110b96c

From Chat moderator: "Leah Martin:The tree is about 20ft from the lava on the other side of the lava wall that has built up".     Thought you guys would find that interesting.

• Upvote 2

For anyone interested, on the Live Chat they indicated the GPS coordinates of where the house and major erupting fissures right now are located if you want to get a better feel for it's position on a map and views from it.

"house's location: 19.482566° -154.881036°, F22 is at 19°28'30.59"N 154°53'4.77"W, F20 is at 19°28'36.55"N 154°52'48.34"W and .1 mi wide. The whole active pool is about .5 mi wide."

• Upvote 1

I have no idea if CNN aired their broadcast yet or not, anyone watching?, as I had to go out. I did find CNN's live feed: https://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-1  For live footage you guys want to stay on the Honolulu Civil Beat feed. The image isn't being sent out like the one CNN gets from them and passes down so what you see on HCB's feed is much more detailed and vibrant.

FOUND THE INJURED MAN STORY with video of him and more on the homes by Fissure 17. OMG the house has been pelted by lava rock spatter and done a considerable amount of damage just from that. I had heard the guys at the HCB house say that they had occasionally put out fires. I'm sorry but dodging lava bombs is a bit too much for me and I would have been out of there fast. The man who got hit by the lava bomb is Darryl Clinton. I hope they do a followup story with him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/05/22/hawaii-volcano-lava-bombs-scott-mclean-pkg-newday.cnn

BTW I believe Bruce Tickell shown at the beginning of the story is the guy who drove the white SUV down by the field that I screen grabbed a photo of from HCB's feed a day or so ago. 

• Upvote 1

More from Scott Wiggers (ApauHawaiiTours) today. We are all benefiting from his early morning dog walks and drives and documenting this. It's been interesting to see how this powerful land building of the Big Island is happening. Great for kids learning about this in school. And not all that long ago really geologists were just figuring out about tectonic plates.

Here's a look at a few more areas of Leilani.

This last video down Kahuiki must be F5 that had reopened. 

• Upvote 1