IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

I saw a video showing a long crack on Pohoiki road being examined by USGS people. The video indicated the crack is widening. I don't yet know the location on the road, but this is a very serious development. The attachment shows the location of the road, but to be clear, the red marker does not indicate anything about the crack. Based on the photo I've seen, it may be north of Leilani, toward Lave Tree State Park? People are quite concerned and are prepared to evacuate if necessary. I can't imagine enduring more than a hundred earthquakes in 24 hours...

5aeb11577e0e2_ScreenShot2018-05-03at6.39

Screen grab from FB video:

5aeb11fd8909b_ScreenShot2018-05-03at6.43

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am so sorry to hear this! I will be watching with concern for all of you in that area.

Please keep us informed and take every precaution.

Cindy Adair

It is very concerning. The amount of lava that drained out of Puʻu ʻŌʻō is staggering and thinking of it flowing downslope toward/under Leilani Estates is heavy to process emotionally. I mean the geology is fascinating but if I had a garden down there I don't know what I'd be feeling. I hope that it works out okay. I can't imagine what it felt like in Pāhoa in 2014.

• Upvote 1

Reportedly there were 116 earthquake tremors here yesterday, and about 30-40 of those were strong enough to shake the house violently. Something like 6 or 7, on average, every hour throughout the day. Difficult to get a good night's sleep when the house is shaking! :o This past night was a bit more peaceful, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. At some point, something is probably going to happen. Question being "when" and "where"? :mrlooney:

To be continued...B)

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Stay safe out there!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

5 hours ago, Kim said:

I saw a video showing a long crack on Pohoiki road being examined by USGS people. The video indicated the crack is widening. I don't yet know the location on the road, but this is a very serious development. The attachment shows the location of the road, but to be clear, the red marker does not indicate anything about the crack. Based on the photo I've seen, it may be north of Leilani, toward Lave Tree State Park? People are quite concerned and are prepared to evacuate if necessary. I can't imagine enduring more than a hundred earthquakes in 24 hours...

5aeb11577e0e2_ScreenShot2018-05-03at6.39

Screen grab from FB video:

5aeb11fd8909b_ScreenShot2018-05-03at6.43

Kim, the crack on Pahoa-Pohoiki Road is right near Kahukai, between Highway 132 and Leilani.  They've closed that stretch of road as of this morning.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

32 minutes ago, Justin said:

Kim, the crack on Pahoa-Pohoiki Road is right near Kahukai, between Highway 132 and Leilani.  They've closed that stretch of road as of this morning.

Yup, read that later this morning after signing up for the Hawaii County Civil Defense messages. My neighbor says there is a crack across my street almost on our property line. A narrow crack. :o Life on a volcano....

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh my, how terrifying! I had no idea y'all live so close to Kilauea. I hope and pray there is no eruption and the volcano calms down.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

Yup, read that later this morning after signing up for the Hawaii County Civil Defense messages. My neighbor says there is a crack across my street almost on our property line. A narrow crack. :o Life on a volcano....

Yep, here's the crack. I just walked over there and took a few photos. And it is almost exactly right on the extension of the property line. Those are Kim's Neoveitchia storckii in the background. And Meg, and for those who are not familiar with the local situation here: Leilani Estates is situated entirely on top of the East Rift Zone, leading out from Kilauea (active since 1983) and the current eruption at the Pu'u O'o vent, in an easterly direction and extending out beyond Kapoho, below the ocean floor. Kapoho is where Pauleen Sullivan created her palm garden. What this means - we LIVE ON TOP of one of the world's most active volcanoes.B) And "terrifying" doesn't sound good to me. I prefer "exciting". Has a more positive ring to it. :mrlooney:

DSC_0004.JPG

• Upvote 8

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sending aloha from Oahu! Hopefully just a little excitement and nothing major!

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Eruption in lower Leilani just now.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

41 minutes ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Sending aloha from Oahu! Hopefully just a little excitement and nothing major!

The entire Leilani Estates and Lanipula subdivisions are being evacuated and lava is fountaining 46m (150') high from the new cracks. I hope that everyone is safe and that the rarest palms are safe too.

• Upvote 1

Bo was down on Kaupili St. taking photos of the rocks flying in the air from the breakout on Mohala St! That didn't last long. The police arrived as he was departing. We were Skyping (he was then home) and the evacuation sirens came on. He will evacuate and pick up his ex-wife Karolyn who is not able to drive. What a night! ...and it is just beginning...

Justin, where are you?

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

I'm in San Diego (watching fireworks of a different kind), but scheduled to fly to Hilo on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morabeza said:

The entire Leilani Estates and Lanipula subdivisions are being evacuated and lava is fountaining 46m (150') high from the new cracks. I hope that everyone is safe and that the rarest palms are safe too.

What?!! fountaining from the cracks around Bo and Kim's place? This is so much...ok in Bo's words "exciting" (mine alarming, frightening)...than the above ground lava flows we saw moving towards Pahoa not all that long ago. I was just reading about the constant strong earthquakes in the news and had to come here to check in on people. Where have they evacuated you guys to? Getting an error establishing database connection when trying to click on Bo's website, not surprised but an uncomfortable feeling of being cut off. 

I remember Bo and Kim are in Leilani Estates and we have another member around Pahoa (Justin), but wondering how many more Palm Talk members are affected by this latest development. Hope everyone stays safe and out of harms way. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Here's a map of the neighborhood, and (my rough approximation of) where the lava started:

DcVB6mDVQAECCWl.jpg:large

• Upvote 2

To reassure everyone, Bo is presently evacuating Leilani Estates and will fly to Los Angeles very soon, then come to San Diego for shelter with me.  From what I hear, the evacuation is orderly wth heavy traffic, as might be expected. As I told Bo earlier, I don't find this "exciting" -- to me it is disruption, though not unexpected. We always knew this could happen

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

16 minutes ago, Justin said:

I'm in San Diego (watching fireworks of a different kind), but scheduled to fly to Hilo on Sunday.

? Will you go? Considering the area is evacuated? 

Kim Cyr

Justin are you on the island now too or back stateside? Thanks for the map to help visualize. Scary stuff and such beautiful homes and gardens around there. 

Duh, just read post above and realized you are on the mainland. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I'm playing it by ear.  I can't imagine they're going to keep 800 homes evacuated for days on end when 795 of them are uphill from the eruption site.

4 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Justin are you on the island now too or back stateside? Thanks for the map to help visualize. Scary stuff and such beautiful homes and gardens around there. 

I'm in San Diego at the moment, which is why I am futzing around on the internet, checking maps, etc.  If I was in Pahoa, I'd be evacuated right now.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't sure where your home there is. For some reason just pictured it closer to downtown Pahoa near 130 and thought it might be out of the evac area. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Wasn't sure where your home there is. For some reason just pictured it closer to downtown Pahoa near 130 and thought it might be out of the evac area. 

Ah, gotcha.  My place is all the way on the far left street.  I can't speak for all the other PT members who live there, but most of the ones I can think of are also on the left half of the map, far uphill from the (current as of tonight) eruption site.

• Upvote 1

I was looking for some great USGS links I remembered from a thread that Kim had started back in 2014 when the surface lava was flowing in that area. Found it and thought maybe others might find it useful. Here's the thread: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/43019-lava-watch/

These were the links I would check often back then: 

General USGS page with updates on Kilauea Volcano activity (links for updates, monitoring, photos, maps, webcams etc in upper right): https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/

USGS Maps of the lava flow updated sometimes on a daily basis: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

USGS Photo and Video Chronology: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

• Upvote 1

Looks like Jeramiah's footage got picked up by the news station.

• Upvote 1

I had been aware of news stories about increased activity at Halema'uma'u recently but somehow missed hearing about the Pu'u O'o collapse so was kind of shocked to see the posts here tonight. Many years ago we crossed Kilauea Iki Crater and you could feel the heat from below as you walked across it and I can't imagine what it must be like in people's homes and yards above the affected area now. 

Looking forward to hearing from Bo when he is back on the mainland.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all for posting the great videos and for keeping us up to date.

Rest assured that all of us out of harm's way are thinking of you now and please keep in touch when you can.

Cindy Adair

Apparently there has been a second breakout, somewhere on Makamae Street. :(

3 hours ago, Morabeza said:

New on-the-ground footage (with Bo Göran in foreground?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7psT1Mv-I

Footage dated from Thursday early evening before Bo was evacuated. Kim was saying he was photographing the flying lava before everyone was sent out of the area. Noticed the man being interviewed on camera as one of the homeowners in the news articles. I bet Bo hated to leave given how much he loves the land there and the volcanism, and it is so fascinating to watch although the spewing rock and toxic fumes make that unsafe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Apparently there has been a second breakout, somewhere on Makamae Street. :(

• Upvote 1