IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Root rot

Rickybobby

So being ocd I tend to over water I.ln pots. 

What was really disappointing was me purchasing Ravena rivularis again and trying a go at it. Biggest mistake read a ton of people saying can’t water enough wet feet etc well in pots it didn’t work out for me. I rotted a the roots and all my fronds have wilted off. Unfortunately I have changed all soil and dried them out but not sure of the outcome of these pour souls. My trachycarpus has some what the same situation but is pulling through slowly.  I have learned a lot this year with potted palms. Really let that soil drain out and dry and make sure really the soil drains well and the pot can get it out. I hope I learn my lesson I’m trying my best and I hope at least one of my majesty’s makes it 

16 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

So being ocd I tend to over water I.ln pots. 

What was really disappointing was me purchasing Ravena rivularis again and trying a go at it. Biggest mistake read a ton of people saying can’t water enough wet feet etc well in pots it didn’t work out for me. I rotted a the roots and all my fronds have wilted off. Unfortunately I have changed all soil and dried them out but not sure of the outcome of these pour souls. My trachycarpus has some what the same situation but is pulling through slowly.  I have learned a lot this year with potted palms. Really let that soil drain out and dry and make sure really the soil drains well and the pot can get it out. I hope I learn my lesson I’m trying my best and I hope at least one of my majesty’s makes it 

I also hope that your Raveneas make it.

Hard to tell because your soil is so black but you may need a better draining potting mix. I make my own mix by adding extra perlite to my bagged soil, which I choose very carefully for looseness. I never buy cheap potting soil or top soil as they tend to turn to muck when watered. Perlite in small bags is expensive so I buy mine in 2cu. ft. bags at a local nursery. If your soil is moist resist the urge to pour on more water. More plants are lost to overwatering than underwatering.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have a big bag of perlite one of my trees had more than normal amount and all the perlite clumped to the roots and made a mess

For my pots I mix the miracle grow palm/citrus soil with Clay breaker soil conditioner (from Lowe's).  It makes a pretty quick draining mix.  Only downside is in the summer when it's in the 90's I have to water at lease every other day or so.