IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rafael's two spectacular palm gardens

bgl

I had the opportunity and great privilege to visit Rafael and both of his palm gardens yesterday. They are both located in Ovar, a suburb south of Porto in Portugal. After seeing many of Rafael's photos here on PalmTalk over the years it was great fun to finally visit and see for myself all the hard work and dedication that he has put into his two gardens. The first ten photos are from the more recent garden, which is the one which had a major issue with a retaining wall a few years back (there is an old thread here on PalmTalk), and this is also the larger garden and the one where Rafael is putting in most of his effort these days. There is an upper part and the first several photos show this area. This area is pretty much all planted out, unless Rafael decides to "Velez" it even more. :D The lower part of the garden, as can be seen in some of the photos, is just at the beginning stage, and Rafael is hoping (I'm sure!  :rolleyes: ) to transform this area into a real palm jungle as well. The final seven photos are from Rafael's initial home and garden, and this property is fairly close to the water. As can be seen in the photos, this garden is well established, and I sensed that there may only be very limited additional plantings here. I'm sure Rafael will be happy to provide additional information and he would also clearly be the one to answer any questions. (Yes, he gave me the name of every single palm, but I may not have memorized all of them. OK, maybe there was the occasional Livistona where the species name temporarily had been forgotten... :D ). And Rafael - you've done a fantastic job with both of these gardens, just in general, but also considering the challenging climate you're dealing with.  :greenthumb:

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

DSC_0571.JPG

• Upvote 19

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Of course Rafael also has a little "container ranch"! :rolleyes:

DSC_0574.JPG

• Upvote 12

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And on "ground level" in the upper area.

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

• Upvote 20

And the large open lower area - lots of exciting possibilities here, that's for sure! B)

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

• Upvote 18

And now for Rafael's initial palm garden, with lots of large well grown specimens. :greenthumb:

DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0599.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

• Upvote 14

Chamaerops humilis sp. vulcano, one of numerous in the two gardens, and clearly (and not surprisingly) one of Rafael's favorite species.  :)

DSC_0597.JPG

• Upvote 16

And finally with me posing with one of Rafael's larger (maybe the largest?) Parajubaea torallyi. :)  Rafael, thank you so very much for an unforgettable and spectacular day. Don't forget now about that trip to California and Hawaii we discussed... :rolleyes:

DSC_0602.JPG

• Upvote 14

It is amazing how Rafael can do this jungle in a place with cool climate. His garden is 40° North!!!! Near Atlantic Ocean!!!!

Congratulations Rafael and thanks Bo for the pictures.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, bgl said:

Of course Rafael also has a little "container ranch"! :rolleyes:

DSC_0574.JPG

Lol, he does not even need having a proper cold frame or greenhouse. A solid evidence of his mild, palmy, climate. 

• Upvote 6

Fantastic! It's great to see Rafael standing next to his efforts!! And Thanks to you Bo for posting these! Hope to see Raf again sometime too! :D 

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I loved seeing familiar friendly faces and the lovely palm collections too! Thanks Bo for posting.

Must have been a very nice trip!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

That is remarkable! 

• Upvote 4

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Rafael, your garden is looking fantastic! It's great to see this update with you and your palms. Love that upper jungle in the first photos! :greenthumb: Amazing what can be done with bare land when one puts the mind to it. :) 

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Rafael and Bo, thank you very much for sharing these great photos with us! 

I am looking forward to some updates in the future - the lower area seems to have enormous potential.

All the best from Okinawa,

Lars

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see these pictures

• Upvote 2

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 months later...

I am so sorry i did not notice this thread before. It only has been posible due to the harder year of my professional life, almost without time to log in here. Thank you very much for your kind words Bo! You honoured me with your visit and it was a pleasure to meet you again and to show you my tiny palm collection. I wish to do what we spoke about, concerning a trip to Hawai, meeting you, Kim and all other palmtalk friends who live there. I will try to make it happen, as soon as posible. 

Btw, i also plan on traveling to mainland USA and to meet good friends i met at Thailand and others that were not there. Soon I will update my gardens’ threads.

• Upvote 6

Belas palmeiras. Parabéns! A parte inferior também promete com sua diversidade! 

• Upvote 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Great to hear from you again, Rafael, and I hope everything is proceeding well with your palm plantings! :) Keep us posted as to any travel plans to the USA! Lots of palm people and lots of palm gardens to visit. :)

• Upvote 1

awesome!!!

• Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 month later...

Great job in those Gardens!! I’m from Coimbra, a city in Portugal near Rafael’s Gardens, therefore I’m more than happy to see the huge variety of Palms that he is able to successfully grow in our region! 

I’m starting my own garden as well and will for sure share some initial results with this great palm Community as soon as I have them!

• Upvote 3

@Palm Portugal -- Welcome to PalmTalk! Show us your nascent palm garden!

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

11 hours ago, Palm Portugal said:

Great job in those Gardens!! I’m from Coimbra, a city in Portugal near Rafael’s Gardens, therefore I’m more than happy to see the huge variety of Palms that he is able to successfully grow in our region! 

I’m starting my own garden as well and will for sure share some initial results with this great palm Community as soon as I have them!

See my PM (private message)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

wow,

those palms have certainly grown since our visit about 5 years ago...great job Rafael..thanks for the pictures Bo

regards

Colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia