IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phenakospermum guyannense

Josue Diaz

Has anyone had experience with this species? Its cousins in the strelitziaceae family are fairly hardy for my zone, with the exception of ravenala madagascarensis :badday:. Other strelitzia (reginae, nicolai, juncea...) are no-hassle plants, I wonder if phenakospermum is a good alternative to ravenala. 

Josue, I am growing these from seed and so far they are really slow in my cool highland climate. They are all still in pots and when they get a little larger I might try one at the beach.

These seem to need lots of water, but excellent drainage.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Phenakospermum guyannense is native to Suriname which is located  just a few degrees north of the equator. Hot and humid year round. Its a very different climate compared to South Africa where Strelitzia is from. There is one growing near my home in Pepeekeo in the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden just north of Hilo on the Big Island where temperatures rarely drop into the low 60s F. ( So far I've been too cheap to pay the entrance fee ($20.) to go see it in person.)

Doubtful it would survive in Nor Cal.

This place sells rhizomes.

http://www.tropilab.com/palulu-big.html

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2018, 8:15:32, scottgt said:

Josue, I am growing these from seed and so far they are really slow in my cool highland climate. They are all still in pots and when they get a little larger I might try one at the beach.

On 5/3/2018, 7:54:01, Mangosteen said:

Phenakospermum guyannense is native to Suriname which is located  just a few degrees north of the equator. Hot and humid year round. Its a very different climate compared to South Africa where Strelitzia is from. There is one growing near my home in Pepeekeo in the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden just north of Hilo on the Big Island where temperatures rarely drop into the low 60s F. ( So far I've been too cheap to pay the entrance fee ($20.) to go see it in person.)

Doubtful it would survive in Nor Cal.

This place sells rhizomes.

http://www.tropilab.com/palulu-big.html

On 4/28/2018, 8:15:32, scottgt said:

Good news! I checked my seed pots today and saw a sprout from this batch of seeds. I'll grow it in a greenhouse a few years before I try it outside. 

• Upvote 3

I had one in a pot for years, then planted it out under a high canopy of oaks and it perished in the first winter with lows of only around 27F

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

If anyone was curious, I had 5 sprouts, each grew well over summer and had 3 to 4 leaves each. Then, they all suddenly fell over and died when our overnight temps started hovering around the 40s F. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

If anyone was curious, I had 5 sprouts, each grew well over summer and had 3 to 4 leaves each. Then, they all suddenly fell over and died when our overnight temps started hovering around the 40s F. 

Josue, dont feel bad. I am down to one plant. Mine just dropped dead for no apparent reason. My temps are never below 60.

• Upvote 1

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 5 months later...
On December 10, 2018 at 8:00 PM, scottgt said:

Josue, dont feel bad. I am down to one plant. Mine just dropped dead for no apparent reason. My temps are never below 60.

This is my last surviving Phenakospermum guyannense. It is about 50-60 cms tall . I WILL plant it out at the beach in a protected(mostly shade) spot. These do seem to require special care to grow from seed.

IMG_2752-2.thumb.JPG.bbeac23828d06827a0b3b11b005e1e09.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

After numerous tries with seeds and rhizomes, I bought a pretty good size plant locally here on the Big Island. Its doing well and even suckering two decent sized offshoots. Here's a shot of the plant shortly after I put it in the ground.

pherema.jpg

Mine has been planted in my beach garden since June. It seems to like the heat . It gets bright filtered sun with about  one hour of direct late afternoon sun.