IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia minor or P. hillebrandii ???

Darold Petty

I have always admired Pritchardia palms and would like to try one in my tiny garden.  My climate is frost free, but suffers from a lack of warmth. (see link)

Which species would have the best chance of success in my garden?  Thanks for any and all comments !   :)

http://www.holiday-weather.com/san_francisco/averages/

San Francisco, California

Minor supposedly do best in SF, Darold.  I have minor, hildebrandii, beccariana, and remota here.  P. beccariana and remota are the winners, the former the clear winner.  But then I have a completely different climate than you!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I think the conventional wisdom is that Hillebrandii is one of the most hardy and it would also grow faster than minor. That being said, Minor is gorgeous and one of my favorites. It's small too, so why not both? :P 

• Upvote 1

Remota and Beccariana are definitely hardier than Hildebrandii, which spots up something horrible.

P remota coming out of an East Bay winter...not too shabby I’d say!

1229179E-257F-459A-823D-EF6379E9E05A.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Darold,

I've got 16 or 17 species growing in my yard. (which may depend on whether there were mis-labled plants at purchase). I've noticed only small differences in temperature tolerance; more so in sun tolerance & water requirements. It's hard to beat minor for beauty & it stays petite. Hillibrandii gets really large in the crown prior to trunking, so it depends on how much space you want to give it. My two cents!

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Remota is tougher than woodpecker lips. I was cutting back the big bougainvillea and found a perfectly healthy remota underneath it that had been buried for 5 years without water, light or food. It must be unkillable.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

minor copes better in cool wet Auckland especially when young.  Seems to be a couple of forms- large and small.  Let me know if you need seed.

• Upvote 1

My hillebrandii  grows still in the middle of the constantly cold winter here,  as long as it gets no freezing temps. But I guess that these are not an issue in SF bay. Even better I think that average winter temps are much higher in your area. Beside cold and cool hardiness there are several other factors that may advocate for one sp or another such as soil and drought tolerance, wind resistance, growth rate. In all those aspects my hillebrandii has performed well, it has even set a fruit this year, which it has been able to hold during past winter.

IMG_20180329_154312.thumb.jpg.d285dd0d3f

• Upvote 4