IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix first flowering attempt..

quaman58

Hey all,

I've posted this B. fenestralis a number of times over the years. It was planted in 2003 as a 5 gallon plant & has been a steady, trouble free, moderate grower ever since. It started developing some clear trunk about 3-4 years ago. So last evening, I'm walking around with a brew attempting to beat back the weeds & trimming dead palm fronds & notice this.. There's actually 2 "torpedos" growing. We'll see if they abort or hold. Fingers crossed! Thanks for looking..

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

• Upvote 25

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great looking palm Bret.  Looks like those are going to be some monster sized spathes.  Would be amazing if this eventually sets some seed for you even if the first few spathes don't.  Will look forward to the progress shots!

What a  gorgeous palm.

Has it ever presented any iron deficiency?

Btw, what is the diameter on the clean trunk? 

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Thanks for the replies guys. Alex, no trouble with iron deficiencies. I've had younger ones that have had that trouble, but the combination of some sun protection & good fertilizer usually work in bring back good color. That being said, they will definitely let you know if they're unhappy in the area you've chosen to plant them. I've gotten to the point where I'll place a potted palm in an area for months to see how it responds prior to plugging it in. The clean trunk is 16"-17" across; somewhat wider at soil level. Not huge. The crown is another matter!

• Upvote 3

Bret

14 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Alex, no trouble with iron deficiencies. I've had younger ones that have had that trouble, but the combination of some sun protection & good fertilizer usually work in bring back good color. That being said, they will definitely let you know if they're unhappy in the area you've chosen to plant them. I've gotten to the point where I'll place a potted palm in an area for months to see how it responds prior to plugging it in. The clean trunk is 16"-17" across; somewhat wider at soil level. Not huge. The crown is another matter!

Dude that's awesome. Why is it that fenestralis is said to not grow well in California? I skipped out on buying a lot of 1gallon fenestralis at $3 each because I read somewhere that they don't do well here. 

Show us a picture of the whole palm! 

• Upvote 1

Looks like a Coconut and obviously can thrive in a California habitat! :D

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

Wunderbar!!! Fantastic news. My hopes have been lifted thank to you for my Fenestralis. No iron deficiencies as well. It is however, in mostly shade.  Gets direct sunlight 2 hours a day. And then on and off.. but, unlike my Alfredii, it's growing beautifully. And I realize with a clean trunk, they are nowhere near as wide as some folks make 'em out to be. Just hope mine gets to be as pretty as yours.

Wow!

20180422_124145.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 4

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

38 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

And I realize with a clean trunk, they are nowhere near as wide as some folks make 'em out to be.

They're usually pretty thick, but I guess it's more so under ideal conditions.

fullsizeoutput_3f3.thumb.jpeg.adf2df283a

• Upvote 7

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

34 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

They're usually pretty thick, but I guess it's more so under ideal conditions.

fullsizeoutput_3f3.thumb.jpeg.adf2df283a

I recognize that palm. :D it's fatter twin is just a few feet away :winkie:

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This is great news - congratulations!!

I have just got my last year`s November rps-order sprouted - first time ever I purchased that species - 

005x.thumb.JPG.e4b188d2489c39e913814ac0f

...and it is looking nice and promising! It will be interesting to see how they will deal with our conditions.

Thank you very much for posting - fingers crossed for yours!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 3

I remember that picture Keith; what a beast. Looks like a Cocos on steroids. Here's s couple of the palm crown. Always hard to get a good picture; it's jammed in pretty tight. Thanks for the replies..

• Upvote 1

Bret

10 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

Danke!! Wunderbar!  Fantastic!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Haha! That looks so cool, if I were to just see the tops of the fronds I would flip out thinking it is a coconut. Nice palm and good job growing it! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

May I ask as to which fertilizer you employ on your magnificent  B.Fenestralis?  It's a showstopper.

2 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Haha! That looks so cool, if I were to just see the tops of the fronds I would flip out thinking it is a coconut. Nice palm and good job growing it! :greenthumb:

Hear, hear!

32 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

That is top article!  That looks ubertropical. And then some.

As DD would say: "That's   (expletive) beautiful!"

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

May I ask as to which fertilizer you employ on your magnificent  B.Fenestralis?  It's a showstopper.

Alex, I'm a very irregular fertilizer. This one has been fertilized only when others have. It's just never had any special needs. Some of the seedlings I've grown however have turned yellow (in pots). There's a product I got online called Ferriplus that worked very well for potted specimens. One pound went a long way. It's a "chelated iron" product; whatever that may be.

• Upvote 2

Bret

@quaman58!

It’s just super glad to see you!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I did not intend to post again after my congrats, but this is...

IMG_2325.JPG

...just spectacular!! 

What a mind blowing beauty - awesome!

I am going to look my little seedling deeply into its eyes, messaging: "Hurry up, man!" ;) 

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 2

Magnifique! BETTER looking than a Cocos! :yay:

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

That looks great! Where is this located? I just planted a b. alfredii here in Orlando this spring. 

56 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

That looks great! Where is this located? I just planted a b. alfredii here in Orlando this spring. 

This is here in San Diego, in a 10a climate zone.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

• Upvote 1

Bret

17 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

That is top article!  That looks ubertropical. And then some.

As DD would say: "That's   (expletive) beautiful!"

Just [expletive expletive expletive expletive] . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/22/2018, 9:23:03, quaman58 said:

Hey all,

I've posted this B. fenestralis a number of times over the years. It was planted in 2003 as a 5 gallon plant & has been a steady, trouble free, moderate grower ever since. It started developing some clear trunk about 3-4 years ago. So last evening, I'm walking around with a brew attempting to beat back the weeds & trimming dead palm fronds & notice this.. There's actually 2 "torpedos" growing. We'll see if they abort or hold. Fingers crossed! Thanks for looking..

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

killer Bret!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

it never gets old looking at that palm

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...

Update; it’s taking its sweet time. But slow progress. We’ll see if any seeds set...

1D4EF738-202C-43B9-BF33-06C14E05E538.jpeg

E3E156DA-5F0C-4B92-8FF5-007D459025DF.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Bret

Now the question is, when will the first B.alfredii flower outside of habitat?

I am thinking the aldredii palm has been stuck in time. For all we know, it could begin to flower when it turns 50 years of age...

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d share one last progress shot. Not a particularly bountiful crop of seed, but considering it’s the first year, I’ll take it. They’re just about ripe, as the fruit begins to turn purple. Hopefully the next update will have some germination results. The circle of life....Thanks for looking!

97BD857B-55BB-47AA-9C76-DA2D367C10E6.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Bret

Will this be the first crop of Beccariophoenix seeds in California?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Keith, I honestly don’t know. They’ve sure been grown for while here, certainly since the early ‘90s.  Although fenestralis are fickle, I remember a posting on this forum with a huge madagascariensis in SoCal. I would guessed that one would have flowered before. 

Bret

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2018, 11:49:21, quaman58 said:

Hopefully the next update will have some germination results. The circle of life....Thanks for looking!

97BD857B-55BB-47AA-9C76-DA2D367C10E6.jpeg

Any updates on the seeds yet Bret?  You have done a great job with this plant!  I have one I planted from a 7 gallon probably between 2008 and 2010, but it's been extremely slow.  I put it way to close to a Pritchardia hillebrandii if mine ever does get going.  Just curious if its like so many palms which are slow when small and then hit a point of momentum where they seemingly accelerate?

20181123-104A1597.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy,

All the seeds are fully purple but have yet to fall off on their own. There's about 30. They actually developed quickly, compared to say, Pritchardia. This palm falls into the category of "better lucky than good" as it relates to me. It grew briskly from the time I brought it home; not crazy fast, but always moving. So it wasn't like a lot of palms that finally speed up with size. I remember seeing one at Greg Hammanns that was a good 10 years older than this & was maybe 4 feet tall. Unpredictable dang things, even in a great garden like Greg's. Yours looks reasonable good; I wish I had some words of wisdom to speed it up..

• Upvote 2

Bret

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

I wish I had some words of wisdom to speed it up..

Thank you for the info.  I guess I'll just continue being patient with it. :)

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation