IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Blooming Livistona mariae, any pictures?

Phoenikakias

Are there available, preferably from a warm temperate area, any pictures of a Livistona mariae? Reason I ask, is that my specimen, supposed to be mariae. is blooming for the first time at an age of about 25 y.o. It blooms here much earlier in life than a decora. But what has drawn mostly my attention, is that the spathes remain extremely hairy, even after they began to unfold. Alas, I try in vain to dig up the Telopea issue with the detailed description of all australian Livistonae (by Rodd). I must have lost it. A friend has suggested  that depending on the persistance of the hair on the bracts, the three subspp. (mariae, rigida, occidentalis) can be differntiated from each other. But I have no further information about it. So if you have additional information on the matter, you are welcome to share it with me, but even pictures of mariae (or supposed mariae) in bloom may also be instructive,

IMG_20180421_154004.thumb.jpg.a0c3ff452eIMG_20180421_153158.thumb.jpg.34a2df6ec4IMG_20180421_152956.thumb.jpg.4cf426ead6

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

A It blooms here much earlier in life than a decora. 

I wanted actually to wriye later

I read of a study several years ago in which DNA analyses showed that there was no difference between L. mariae and L. rigida at a coastal site to the north of the L. mariae location. In fact, isolated populations of L. rigida along the coast showed greater DNA differences. I have also heard that L. mariae ssp. occidentalis (now L. nasmophila) is quite different in many ways from L, mariae/rigida. I "think" I was growing L. nasmophila when I lived in Florida, but have never been able to get seeds since I moved away. For species names, I have been following the more recent Dowe monograph.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.