IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus leaflets folding

palm789

Why is my Trachycarpus fortunei leaflets folding?as it's hot weather I watered every day But some water rolls off top of plant pot since I put a new layer of soil on top,

Firstly, why did you need to put a new layer of soil on top? Potting mixes often get so dry they wont accept water, quite common. A bit of dish soap in a spray/spritzing bottle, once sprayed on top will help that situation, or just soak the plant in some water from the bottom. As for the plant itself sounds like maybe too much water? Everyday watering sounds like a lot. When a plant experiences root problems i.e. disease or root rot it can't supply water to the leaves/fronds. Looks like dry, but is too wet. Pictures here would be worth a thousand words. I am confident some of these very experienced palm growers could be helpful, as I am a bit of a rookie with palms, but I do know plant care in general . Hope this helps.

28 minutes ago, frienduvafrond said:

Firstly, why did you need to put a new layer of soil on top? Potting mixes often get so dry they wont accept water, quite common. A bit of dish soap in a spray/spritzing bottle, once sprayed on top will help that situation, or just soak the plant in some water from the bottom. As for the plant itself sounds like maybe too much water? Everyday watering sounds like a lot. When a plant experiences root problems i.e. disease or root rot it can't supply water to the leaves/fronds. Looks like dry, but is too wet. Pictures here would be worth a thousand words. I am confident some of these very experienced palm growers could be helpful, as I am a bit of a rookie with palms, but I do know plant care in general . Hope this helps.

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

Looks pretty healthy to me. Wait for some of the more experienced growers to chime in on that. I don't think your in immediate danger here though.

The only problem here is there is too much soil in that container.  Take some of that out so the water wont run out of the pot.

7 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Mine did the same from not good enough drainage and too much water 

It got drainage holes in the bottom of pot,maybe too much water,do you know how often do you water big potted trachy and leave it,as I haven't watered it in 2 days

Moisture metres are a great tool because whenever I have the urge to water I find out the soil is still plenty moist

Maybe water from the bottom(fill saucer) and you can see how much the soil/plant absorbs.

Edited by Jimhardy

Mine never did drain enough the roots got some damage and the leaves look the same as yours. I know let mine dry out a lot during the colder months and check the moisture with a gauge  everyday watering is too excessive