IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

A friend of mine who lives in Plantation Florida brought me some seeds off of two palms, we believe one is Christmas Palm seeds. Can anyone in Florida help me ID these? 

Seeds #1

20180420_215526.jpg

20180420_215905.jpg

PalmTreeDude

Large ones are Adonidia seeds. The small ones could be Ptychosperma elegans or Carpentaria. Do you have photos of mother palms?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you all for your help. We do not have pictures of the mother plants, but we do have the location on Google Maps of where the smaller seeds came from. Here is a picture of the palms my friend said he got the smaller seeds from at the Plantation Library from Google Maps. 

Screenshot_20180421-110305_Maps.jpg

PalmTreeDude

He said that is where he got them from, there are some in the back of the building too, he is not a palm nut so I am thinking he might of gotten the seeds from some other palm that looked similar at the library. I might have to grow them first before I can ID them. 

PalmTreeDude

Hard to identify. 

big ones I agree Adonidia  merrillii. The small ones? Got some Ptychosperma elegans short time ago (which already germinated) but they were more oval like on the picture.

Let them germinate and grow and we will see.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

For the Christmas Palm seeds, I heard you could just put them right in a pot with dirt just how they are and simply water them, does anyone know how well they will do this way? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 5 months later...

So seeds #2 sprouted and are Christmas Palms for as far as I can tell. I left seeds #1 in a spot in my house and could not find them, but just did yesterday. They were pretty dry, and I had a lot, so I just went ahead and threw a lot (but not all) in my planter in an area that recently lost most mulch from my backyard becoming a little creek a few days ago. This spot gets full sun pretty much all day. Maybe some will germinate before it gets too cool for germination outside and I can dig them up. Basically, I got lazy. 

1537635620196353.jpg

1537635620588812.jpg

PalmTreeDude

I also pressed the seeds into the ground a bit by gently steeping on them. The area was pretty wet at the time, but can get dry. I am still wondering exactly what they are...

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude