IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Pops Up Everywhere?

Palmsbro

What kinds of palms come up commonly as volunteer seedlings in your area? 

It doesn't matter whether the palm species is native or naturalized.

Pictures are welcome.

Washingtonias. 

I have no pictures. But they grow even in between cracks on paved walkways, sidewalks, everywhere.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

33 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Washingtonias. 

I have no pictures. But they grow even in between cracks on paved walkways, sidewalks, everywhere.

Sabals and sometimes Washingtonias do the same thing here.

Other volunteers that pop up occasionally are Syagrus romanzoffiana and a few different Phoenix species.

I have even seen Sabal and Washingtonia volunteers growing in the old leaf bases of other palms.

The most common native volunteer is sabal palmetto.  The most common non-native is phoenix roebelenii.  I have 11 of them, and they set fertile, hybridized seeds everywhere.  The birds love them, build nests in them, and spread seeds everywhere.  I know... zone 9 problems ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Before wilt caused their demise, my volunteer headaches were queen and Washingtonia seedlings. Now it's pygmy date, Adonidia, Archonotophoenix, Veitchia joannis & Ptychosperma elegans.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

In abundance, Archontophoenix, Chamaedorea, Queens, Trachycarpus, Phoenix, Brahea, Washingtonia.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

ptychosperma, livistona, and of course archontophoenix 

anything that can seed like this in the shade is dangerous:

C6B0547C-A8DE-49FF-8BE5-B141712232F4.thu

• Upvote 3

Well, we have got a real champion over here - Adonidia merrillii, the Christmas palm.

Storm proof, immune to any bugs or diseases and an enormous germination rate of its seeds.  

003x.thumb.JPG.2a6adcf6409cb7fdc9cf7ba61

Still pretty young but already producing countless seeds...

004x.thumb.JPG.cf6e20244ffe4679c50ec611b

Same plant`s bottom, a wood is emerging. 

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 2

In my neighborhood Phoenix canariensis, Washingtonia robusta, and Syagrus can be found volenteering. In my current garden Trachycarpus is the only mature palm to set seeds there are now a few sprouts under it.

• Upvote 2

The undisputed palm seedling producer in our yard is Phoenix reclinata.  I can see why it gets called invasive.  

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

In my Hawaii garden, Archontophoenix alexandrae are everywhere.  I am constantly pulling them up , because if I don't, a few months later they are trunking. There are perhaps a dozen tall feral Alexanders on my wild acre, and the babies would proliferate profusely without culling. Actually they probably will take over that acre if I don't take some serious action soon. I have plans, all I need is time to execute them...

I may have created a monster with the 36 Areca vestiaria 'maroon leaf' planted along a curving path. They seed like dandelions, popping up everywhere. When weeding I pull up a wheelbarrow full of seedlings. That sounds like exaggeration, but not much, truly.

DSC_0264_jpg_aeffbdd2eb4316b43e30fd54c31

• Upvote 7

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Washingtonias, and Archontophoenix. My cup runneth over. And over. And over.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 hours ago, Kim said:

In my Hawaii garden, Archontophoenix alexandrae are everywhere.  I am constantly pulling them up , because if I don't, a few months later they are trunking. There are perhaps a dozen tall feral Alexanders on my wild acre, and the babies would proliferate profusely without culling. Actually they probably will take over that acre if I don't take some serious action soon. I have plans, all I need is time to execute them...

I may have created a monster with the 36 Areca vestiaria 'maroon leaf' planted along a curving path. They seed like dandelions, popping up everywhere. When weeding I pull up a wheelbarrow full of seedlings. That sounds like exaggeration, but not much, truly.

DSC_0264_jpg_aeffbdd2eb4316b43e30fd54c31

Jeez Kim, life sure is rough huh? ;>)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

Jeez Kim, life sure is rough huh? ;>)

:lol: All that getting low to the ground and pulling is hard on my arthritis! B)

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

6 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Sabal palmetto, because I threw seed around everywhere! :mrlooney:

I remember that:

I hope this keeps up!

Awesome seedlings especially for VA with little/no protection.

Good work and good luck with those seedlings! :greenthumb::)

My most common volunteers are Carpentaria acuminata. The mature plants are way too tall to cut off the inflorescences so the ground below is carpeted with seedlings like lawn. The seeds are also carried off by birds and Flying Foxes and end up all over. For a palm whose natural environment is riverine and swampy situations they're remarkably drought tolerant. But they're a native here.

The other natives that do it a bit less are Ptychosperma macarthuri, and much less are the Livistonas benthami, mariae ssp rigida, and humilis.

The worst exotic is Caryota mitis, having to forever pull out seedlings. There's also a NOID, looks a bit like a Sabal, maybe.

Coconuts could be included as well, but birds don't tend to spread their seed around so they're easier to control.

pt-n-18042613.jpg.63fd8c3590c4b56885f87d

• Upvote 2

There are certainly a lot of Palm Talk Members that pop up at the Searle Brothers Spring Extravaganza. :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B