IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

can this be a Dypsis decaryi x leptochelios?

Mohsen

I bought this palm 2-3 years ago from Bunning Warehouse as oneof my palms under normal Triangle palm,

I put it in ground few months after, it was always slow but happy ...but I could never see it like other established D.Decaryi ones, I thought it might be young yet, but few days ago I noticed similar texture of the Crownshaft of this palm and my D. Lepto and then I though is it possible I have a cross  decaryi x leptochelios,?

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

• Upvote 4

Looks like a decaryi to me and not the hybrid.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

7 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Looks like a decaryi to me and not the hybrid.

But when I touch the crownshaft it’s exactly like my Lepto also the color similar ?

also I found this picture on web for Decaryi x Lepto , I can see similarities ?

5788144D-8634-4099-85A8-AA3744B612EE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

True, just got a nice size tribear and the fronds are much more relaxed than the decaryi and not so much of a V shape. But maybe yours does have a bit of teddy bear in it, but it certianly looks different than my tribear.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I'm no expert, but that looks like a tri-bear to me.  The pure decaryi usually has a little fuzz and reddish color in the crown, but not that much.  Also, decaryis tend to have a more gray-green leaf, not as deep green as yours.  

Whatever it is, its a nice looking palm!

• Upvote 1

I have seen exceptionally fuzzy and lush decaryi when greenhouse grown.

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

18 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I have seen exceptionally fuzzy and lush decaryi when greenhouse grown.

Thanks, its been in full sun in ground since 30 months ago , so all new fronds are grown in open area, whatever it is its nice, but would be interesting how the huge department store Bunnigs got them if its hybrid...

• Upvote 1

Regular decaryii. Color is wrong for the cross. Mine gets quite fuzzy as well.

D4BF19B0-E05A-4315-BF4F-0B8BB22E751A.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Looks like straight D decaryi to me Mohsen. As others have mentioned, they are highly variable and can have quite a lot of fuzz, but the colour and V shape of the leaves are decaryi traits. 

• Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

looks just like a well grown triangle palm unfortunately. still a great palm. I have lots of 5 gal Tri-bears and they look nothing like yours.

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24