IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cycad fertilizer

Tiki Ty

i got a encephalartos lehmannii and trispinosus today  and i was wondering what the best fertilizer was to get the most flushes per year

NOTHING!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think most people use the same palm fertilizer that their using on palms. To my knowledge, there is no cycad fertilizer made.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

actually Jeff....your Florida compatriot Tom Broome has a fertilizer for sale that is specifically formulated for cycads....

Myself...I just throw some Apex palm plus in there, but I wanted to make sure that Tiki Ty didn't throw a load of fert on a seedling....

Ty, were you at the Quail sale?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tropicalb is right, I have been producing my cycad fertilizer for sale to others for 6 years now. I get lots of feed back from people who are using it all over the US and several people your way have told me some great things. A few botanical gardens, a theme park, as well as many cycad collectors are using my stuff. 5 people have told me about the same thing who live in the LA area and a bit south, but as an example one person told me he had been growing cycads for 30 years and never got more than 1 flush in a year and the first full year he used my Cycad Special he got 2 to 3 flushes on his blue encephalartos plants.( I think he had about 2 or 3 of each of the blues) Cycads have an eposodic growth pattern and the older they get, the more energy they need to push a larger flush, and then more often. That is why the regular palm fertilizers just don't cut it because they are usually weaker in nitrogen, on purpose. When these cycads are small, the flushes are smaller and the need for as much energy is less. You can use my fertilizer and it doesn't hurt, but smaller plants flush more often each year than larger plants. In the first few years from a seedling, I use the 18-6-8, 360 day Nutricote. It lasts all year so you only have to use it once a year, but as soon as the flushes get about 3 or more leaves on a flush, I start using the Cycad Special. If I had just purchased some medium sizedlehmanniis, I would put down some triple super phosphate (0-46-0) to initiate extra fast root growth and wait about 3 weeks, and then start on the Cycad Special. If these plants are less than 1 1/2 inches in diameter, I'd go with the TSP  and mix in the Nutricote at the same time because that stuff takes about a month or so to really kick in and by that time the TSP is used up.

Another Cycad Special endorsement.  Plus - you can get a lot of good info off of Tom's website.  He is the foremost expert on many cycad topics:

Cycad Jungle

Matt

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

I guess that takes care of it, thanks KatyTX. So how is it working in your area? For anyone, you can see the link on my main page for both my fertilizers that I have formulated and other products. I also have just about every cycad cultivation subject covered in my website, so everyone can get good information without having to buy an expensive book.

Just to let everyone know though, when I first started collecting I had colonies of 6 or more plants for about 70 species of cycads. EVERY plant was tagged and I conducted just about every experiment someone could think of for testing different fertilizers, soils, watering, all kinds of things. I documented every leaf flush, every cone emergence, receptive cone timings, pollen shedding, everything that happened to ALL these plants for a full 7 years, which filled 3 entire note pads. I learned what worked and what didn't work instead of believing what was in someone's book. For the fertilizer, it is the first fertilizer I have seen that you can truly see it work. Most times you figure it must be working because the plants didn't turn yellow or something, but with healthy plants that are being taken care of, you can use this fertilizer like a tool that will make your cycads produce leaves on schedule.(given you don't try to force leaves in the middle of winter) It also increases cone production on mature cycads as well, which for me increases my seed production, which is one of the most important things in life to me.

Ok...testimonial time...

After years of reading about Tom's fertilization techniques..last year I went ahead and followed his advice.

After using the Nutricote on smaller plants....almost every plant threw a MEGA leaf or two or three....

Dioon merolae

post-376-1180323014_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Encephalartos natalensis...

post-376-1180323087_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

So I figured, what the heck...let's use it again this year....

Encephalartos altensteinii....

post-376-1180323353_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Ceratozamia sp...

post-376-1180323475_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

With the Cycad Special concoction...

This E. arenarius went from a 5 leaf flush in '05 to a 7 leafer in '06.... and it's gettin' busy again (looks like a 7 leafer again....)

post-376-1180324033_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

And although this M. moorei flushes continuously...I do believe it had it's best year of growth last year...

post-376-1180324341_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Tom,

The fert seems to be doing the trick (along with much patience).  My e.lehmanii seedling has flushed 6 times in the past 2 years.  My e.ferox has finally awakened after 18 months dormant in the ground - flushed 5 leaves.

Great stuff.

Matt

Matt R - Katy, TX

Elevation 100ft (30m) - Zone 9a

Gumbo (clay) soil

Summer (May-Sep) Highs - upper-90'sºF (37ºC) Hot Humid

Winter (Dec-Jan) Lows - upper-30’sºF (3ºC) Mild/Cool Humid

Yearly Minimum - 26º (-4ºC). 1989 Record Low 6º (-14ºC).

50-60 inches rain annual

Tom, Thanks for all the great advice and I'm going to have to try your fertilizer. I have been getting REAL into Cycads again and have planted more recently. I use nutricote on my seedlings and will get up to 3 or 4 flushes a year depending on the species but once they get bigger most only flush once a year  :( . If I could get the big ones to throw 2 or 3 times a year I would be stoked  :D . It's amazing to me the amount of research and experimentation you did to formulate your fert.

Thanks again,

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

the trispinosus is a seedling and the lehmannii is a five gallon i just put some nutricote on them and no bill i missed it  :( but anyways does anyone know of a good source to get cycad seeds expessialy especialy blue encephalartos

Not to take anything away from Tom's brew, which I have only ever heard good things about.  I am using a standard palm fertilizer 15-5-15 on my Cycas taitungensis.  I use a fairly weak solution every 7-10 days.  I bought it as a two leaf seedling in August 2005 and it has produced new leaves every 4-6 weeks since then, other than recently when I had a couple of mishaps resulting in a broken pot and several broken fronds.  This is how the same plant looked on April 25th of this year.

Cycas_taitungensis_25-04-07.jpg

The caudex is about 175mm/7" diameter.  Admittedly Cycas taitungensis is generally quite a fast grower.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Tiki Ty @ May 28 2007,22:54)

but anyways does anyone know of a good source to get cycad seeds expessialy especialy blue encephalartos

The "Cycad Society" has a great seedbank.  If you would like to be on their mailing list, youll need to join the society.  I have found it to be very worthwhile over the last 12+ years  as they have offered many different species inclucing many of the blue Encephalartos.

http://www.cycad.org/

Glenn

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Dear Glenn  :)

it seems you have the entire cycas collection catalogue at your

garden ? great collection and each is a beauty !  :)

Dear Neo  :)

even your cycas looks great.

its time i do something about my collection too !  ???

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 6 years later...

I realize that this is a pretty old post, but I am currently looking for a good cycad fertilizer, and the information given here is a bit incomplete.

Tom never answered the question about where a person can buy his "special blend", and after further investigating, I learned that he doesn't ship to California.

Nutricote 18-6-8 (360) was reportedly the next best thing, but I can't find that either. Where are people buying this stuff?

I think Nutricote 18-6-8 might be wholesale only, But I’m not sure, I’m to lazy to look it up.

I realize that this is a pretty old post, but I am currently looking for a good cycad fertilizer, and the information given here is a bit incomplete.

Tom never answered the question about where a person can buy his "special blend", and after further investigating, I learned that he doesn't ship to California.

Nutricote 18-6-8 (360) was reportedly the next best thing, but I can't find that either. Where are people buying this stuff?

This question has been asked before so maybe there an answer in this old thread.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5146-california-nutricote-source/

Thanks for the lead, much appreciated.

I understand about being too lazy to look it up...I've been Googling it all afternoon and I just got to the point where I just want someone to give me the answer.

Your Welcome Will.

This year I’ve been using Dr. Earth organic 10 palm & tropical with good results.

But I’m going to try Toms HIGH nitrogen suggestion and applying some Vigoro water soluble all purpose plant food 24-8-16 on my Sago cycad and see if it will flush this year. I’m not big on chemicals so a little bit goes a long way.

Edited by Palm crazy

Encephalartos natalensis...

The same cycad as post #12 today, 16 oz beer can for scale. I'm currently using Nutricote 18-6-8 (180 day formula.) I bought the Nutricote (Florikan) online, sorry I cant remember the website. 50 lb bag....expensive but one application lasts through my entire growing season.

post-376-0-10332600-1374011925_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b