IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nor Cal bike-by: Ravenea rivularis (?)

awkonradi

I encountered this trio of Ravenea rivularis (?) while biking through San Mateo.  I know this species is common in warmer climes, and these specimens are not too pretty, but these are the first I have noticed outdoors in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I wonder if these are 20 years old.

IMG_20180419_161400.jpg

IMG_20180419_161434.jpg

IMG_20180419_161508.jpg

Edited by awkonradi
  • Upvote 3

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

You see them around in Norcal.  That one doesn't look great - I bet it doesn't get enough water.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here's one i grew in Chowchilla for several years.  It was later removed by the new owners to build a patio. Chowchilla is both hotter in summer and colder in winter than San Mateo.

received_10155354045617124.jpeg.1f1c9236

• Upvote 4

That triple looks like it's got some frost damage. It's right next to green turf so I hope it benefits from that irrigation. Still it looks a bit thirsty and in need of fertilizer. They are hungry, thirsty palms. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

3 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

That triple looks like it's got some frost damage. It's right next to green turf so I hope it benefits from that irrigation. Still it looks a bit thirsty and in need of fertilizer. They are hungry, thirsty palms. 

Agree with you for the most part Jim, but they didn't take any damage whatsoever here this winter - even in pots sitting fully exposed!  These guys are pretty hardy.  I'd say they should be more widely grown here, but they are a PITA.  R. glauca is a much better choice - so trouble free.  I have a large trunking one on the way.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Josue, that one looks good. Sadly all the ones I see in my area are too dry.

Mine has never taken damage and I try to keep it wet in the summer, but it is a real slug. Not a fast palm for me at all

This one in Sacramento is decent but probably could use more water

F9259CE0-9289-4D5E-87BD-E91E4A7B45ED.png

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Agree with you for the most part Jim, but they didn't take any damage whatsoever here this winter - even in pots sitting fully exposed!  These guys are pretty hardy.  I'd say they should be more widely grown here, but they are a PITA.  R. glauca is a much better choice - so trouble free.  I have a large trunking one on the way.

Ben, those damaged leaves are old and likely a few years old so past years winter's frosts are still a possibility. Notice how all the younger leaves look pretty fresh. I'm just speculating of course but it's typical of what I've seen in these in colder winters.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

8 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Ben, those damaged leaves are old and likely a few years old so past years winter's frosts are still a possibility. Notice how all the younger leaves look pretty fresh. I'm just speculating of course but it's typical of what I've seen in these in colder winters.

True.  Could be a lot of things.  Probably would have grown out of that damage by now with plentiful water and fert!

Ben Rogers