IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How fast do Pindo palms grow? Does it matter wether it's a single or double trunk?

floridanewbie

We bought this pindo yesterday (pic https://i.imgur.com/nQVKAsG.jpg) and were wondering what a good placement would be. Are they fast growers? I keep seeing mixed information online, so i was hoping to get a more accurate answer from the experts :)

Kissimmee, FL | 9b 

These are slow growers, and they have growth speeds comparable to/possibly slower than a Sabal palmetto, but they will never get as big as a Sabal palmetto can.

• Upvote 1

Agree. I've learned that palms planted as doubles grow slower than two solitary palms. Often one palm of a duo dominates or even crowds out the other. Makes sense because they compete for light and resources. I have twin coconuts and both are significantly slower than a single coconut.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

34 minutes ago, Palmsbro said:

These are slow growers, and they have growth speeds comparable to/possibly slower than a Sabal palmetto, but they will never get as big as a Sabal palmetto can.

Clarification: I meant to say that Sabal palmetto may grow faster than Butia odorata/capitata after it forms a trunk. Butias grow very slowly.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

10 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

Clarification: I meant to say that Sabal palmetto may grow faster than Butia odorata/capitata after it forms a trunk. Butias grow very slowly.

Actually the Butia odorata/capitata do get taller than a Sabal palmetto. They are slow but are long lived. Seen some habitat photos on very old ones that are huge. We just will not see a newly planted one achieving such a stature in our life time.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

19 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

Butias grow very slowly.

Not necessarily.  That one's got some good size to it.  I've seen recent posts of Butias growing faster with extra water.  Check out this thread from The Steve:

I suspect his palm got some extra irrigation from a nearby leaky underground water line.  Alberto from Brasil (where the plant is native) agrees that they can grow fast.  It might depend on the soil type also - in sandy soil it might not grow so fast.

Jon

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Not necessarily.  That one's got some good size to it.  I've seen recent posts of Butias growing faster with extra water.  Check out this thread from The Steve:

I suspect his palm got some extra irrigation from a nearby leaky underground water line.  Alberto from Brasil (where the plant is native) agrees that they can grow fast.  It might depend on the soil type also - in sandy soil it might not grow so fast.

Jon

The ones around here grow very slowly, so that might be it. The soil here is really, really sandy.