Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PSSC May 19, 2018 Meeting

11 posts in this topic

I am pleased to announce that we will holding the PSSC’s May 19, 2018 meeting in two gardens in Huntington Beach, in the OC by the sea. The first garden is the never-before-visited home and garden of Frank and Kathy van Twist. The second is the previously visited home and garden of John Boyer.

The Van Twists open their garden to show off a nice collection of rare palms. Highlights include: a HUGE Arenga pinnata, Beccariophoenix alfredii, a mature Pritchardtia forbesiana, grown 20’+ tall and almost 2 feet across the base, Pritchardtia martii, a maturing Parajubaea torallyi torallyi, various Dypsis including droopy onilahenis and many more.

John Boyer’s home and garden sit on a quarter acre, with many palms, some very well-established. The front is guarded by a stately Rhopalistylus sapida, brazen beneath the sun in all its glory. That’s just the start; other highlights include a fabulous understory Dypsis with pink crownshaft, toweringly mature Dypsis leptocheilos, mature Roystoneas, mature Chambeyroneas (including a “mealy bug”). Stopping now, catch breath . . . plus Burretiokentia veillardii (12 – 15 feet tall), Hedyscepe 15’ with 6 – 7’ of trunk, and a 10 foot tall Dypsis decipiens. Plus a Ravenea sambirinensis that’s 20’ tall and many many more.

ITINERARY

9:30 a.m.  PSSC Board meeting at Van Twist Garden

10:00 a.m. Self-guided tours of Van Twist Garden

11:30 a.m. Exit Van Twist Garden go to Boyer Garden

12:00 noon. Potluck Lunch; chicken will be provided

1:00 p.m. General meeting

1:30 p.m. Auction

3:30 p.m. Adjourn

DIRECTIONS

To Van Twist Garden:  From the north: Take I-405 south, exit Golden West; right on Golden West to Bolsa;

From the south: Take I-405 north, exit Golden West ramp which will take you right onto Bolsa, continue west on Bolsa;

Common directions: right on Bolsa; left on Capetown Lane; left on Dover Drive; right on Kingston Lane; Garden is located at 15102 Kingston Lane. Garden phone number is (714) 894-2191.

To Boyer Garden: Exit the Van Twist Garden, retrace to Bolsa, then to 405; drive I-405 south exit at Brookhurst south, take Brookhurst to Victoria/Hamilton; right on Hamilton; left on St. John Lane; right on Clearbrook Lane; right on Archer Circle, garden is at 21551 Archer Circle. Garden phone number is (714) 655-6168.

Participate in the potluck. While we provide a protein, you can provide something you like! Whatever it may be; grandma’s goulash, uncle’s eggrolls, or your own salad, if you like it, we will too, so bring it! We don’t care if you make it or buy it. All donations to the potluck are appreciated.

Participate in the auction. Donors can give 100% or 50% (and keep 50%) of the selling price of auction plants. Palm-themed objects d’art are also welcomed. The best auction plants are rare palms in 1 to 7 gallon sizes, though we’ll do bigger ones if you want. We also appreciate small plants for the raffle. (Please, no Washingtonia, Phoenix canariensis, Sabals, etc.) We try to get each plant to sell for a minimum of $20 if possible.

Thanks so much for your support!

So sorry about the distracting variety of fonts

So, who's coming?

Represent!

Locked and loaded in the calendar. Wouldn't miss it!

Here's a picture of the Van Twists' back yard. Looks like a really nice Kentiopsis oliviformis to the right.

5addddaaaf84b_VanTwistPalmyardback.thumb

Planning/hoping on being there... :D

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎20‎:‎55‎, DoomsDave said:

Here's a picture of the Van Twists' back yard. Looks like a really nice Kentiopsis oliviformis to the right.

5addddaaaf84b_VanTwistPalmyardback.thumb

Attack Kitty of Doom? :huh:

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

Attack Kitty of Doom? :huh:

My fierce guard cats all lurk within the house, to frighten off the coyotes that might break and enter . . . .

Count me in. 

I'm on call, but will see if I can sneak up..

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎58‎:‎18‎, BS Man about Palms said:

I'm on call, but will see if I can sneak up..

Missing the Ranch Hand Bonanza? :huh:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• PSSC November 17, 2018 meeting
      By DoomsDave
      Space. The final frontier, even (especially!) if you have a palm garden. Your palmy artistic ambition often exceeds the physical dimensions at your disposal. Most of us find ourselves, sooner or later, measuring in feet to avoid being too close to a property line, or encroaching on something else, or, heaven forbid, interfering with utility wires. We find, fall in love, then try to shoe-horn it in. If we can.

Now imagine a garden that seems divorced from such piddling concerns, with two acres of reasonably level land. A garden where its owner falls in love with, say, 60-plus foot tall Royals, and acquires them, and has the trucks, trailers and a trained, experienced crew to properly remove, haul and plant such magnificent monsters. A garden with an owner who bought a palm tree nursery to supply it. A garden that makes you forget that you just drove along teeming freeways in one of the world's largest conurbations to get there. A garden that makes first-time visitors stare in open-mouthed wonder, like I did when I first saw it about 10 years ago. A garden that lives up to its owners' sobriquet, "Lost World" and you happily lose yourself in its engulfing tropical greenery.

The garden of Pat and Jolynn Mahoney at 191 South Cobblestone Lane, Anaheim, California, in Orange County, is such a place. They own and operate West Coast Arborists, which, among much else, digs and moves large palms, and trims, trains and maintains trees all over Southern California. Mr. Mahoney grew up in Tustin, started trimming trees right out of high school and never stopped. 
        Come and give your wearily over-stimulated senses some fresh exercise. Crane your neck to see the tops of the tall palms. Gaze below at koi ponds with koi like swimming Chinese lanterns. Check out the terra-cotta paths and eight waterfalls. And see, everywhere you look, plants, plants and more plants. Palms, bromeliads, philodendrons and much more. Cycads include Encephalartos altensteinii, Encephalartos ferox, Encephalartos gratus, Encephalartos horridus, Dioon mejia and Ceratozamia robusta. Palms include Roystoneas (big), Caryota and many more. Take a deep breath and smell the air that smells the way only a tropical forest can. Listen to birds chirping, co-visitors laughing and the soughing of the wind through the palm leaves. The Mahoney garden was established in 1995 and the passage of 23 years makes it better and better.    This garden also includes a grand house, featured in an OC house and garden magazine, with, among much else, three exterior bathrooms. And lots of seating areas, all over.    So, come and join us on November 17, 2018 at the Mahoney's Lost World, and lose yourself in it for a while. Find old friends, and find new ones. Eat some potluck food, and maybe bid on some plants at the auction. Remember why you're in California in the first place.   POTLUCK. This will be a potluck meeting. Chicken will be provided; we greatly appreciate food donations from attendees. Salads, desserts, sandwiches (cut into pieces), appetizers, eggrolls, empanadas, etc. If you love it, so will we. If it's your grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better, and we'll love it whether your grandma came from Boston, Baden-Baden, Saigon or Guadalajara. If you make it, great; if you buy and bring, great too. What's better than great food, great company and a grand palm garden? Eat, look at the palms, and be merry.    AUCTION. There will be a plant auction at this meeting. Since the auction provides about half of the PSSC's funding we are grateful for the support of all donors. Donors can donate 100% to the PSSC (we sure love that) or 50/50. But, there are limits on time which require us - and everyone - to work together to make the most of this. Time is limited, so we try, if we can, to get a minimum of $20 per plant, or more. Accordingly: (a) the best plants are rare palms in 1 - 5 gallon pots; (b) we also accept other plants, especially cycads; and (c) we also accept palm-themed objects d'art. We will do larger palms, up to 15 gallons and larger, but they sometimes don't bring the prices donors want. Please, no common palms, such as Phoenix canariensis and robellenii, Trachycarpus fortunei, Sabals, etc. or other common plants. On the other hand, if you have something common you want to re-home, bring it, and we can use it as a raffle plant. Or, just give it to someone who will love it.   DIRECTIONS: From the west (LA, OC, etc): Exit 91 Freeway go right to Imperial Hwy (Rte 90) south. From the east (Riverside), exit 91 Freeway go left on Imperial Hwy (Rte 90) South. Everyone:  Go right on East Santa Ana Canyon Road; go left (south) on Royal Oak Road; go right (west) on E. Crescent Drive; go left (south) on South Peralta Hills Drive, which makes a right (west) elbow-bend; the garden is at Cobblestone Lane and South Peralta Hills Drive.   AGENDA   9:30 A.M. - PSSC Board meeting (all members welcome) 10:30 A.M. - Self-guided tours of the garden 12:00 noon - LUNCH! 1:00 P.M. - General meeting 2:00 P.M. - Auction 4:00 P.M. - Adjourn
    • PSSC November 17, 2018 meeting
      By DoomsDave
      Everyone, I'm thrilled to announce the PSSC's next meeting in Anaheim Hills, Orange County, on November 17, 2018.   Space. The final frontier, even (especially!) if you have a palm garden. Your palmy artistic ambition often exceeds the physical dimensions at your disposal. Most of us find ourselves, sooner or later, measuring in feet to avoid being too close to a property line, or encroaching on something else, or, heaven forbid, interfering with utility wires. We find, fall in love, then try to shoe-horn it in. If we can.

Now imagine a garden that seems divorced from such piddling concerns, with two acres of reasonably level land. A garden where its owner falls in love with, say, 60-plus foot tall Royals, and acquires them, and has the trucks, trailers and a trained, experienced crew to properly remove, haul and plant such magnificent monsters. A garden with an owner who bought a palm tree nursery to supply it. A garden that makes you forget that you just drove along teeming freeways in one of the world's largest conurbations to get there. A garden that makes first-time visitors stare in open-mouthed wonder, like I did when I first saw it about 10 years ago. A garden that lives up to its owners' sobriquet, "Lost World" and you happily lose yourself in its engulfing tropical greenery.

The garden of Pat and Jolynn Mahoney at 191 South Cobblestone Lane, Anaheim, California, in Orange County, is such a place. They own and operate West Coast Arborists, which, among much else, digs and moves large palms, and trims, trains and maintains trees all over Southern California. Mr. Mahoney grew up in Tustin, started trimming trees right out of high school and never stopped. 
        Come and give your wearily over-stimulated senses some fresh exercise. Crane your neck to see the tops of the tall palms. Gaze below at koi ponds with koi like swimming Chinese lanterns. Check out the terra-cotta paths and eight waterfalls. And see, everywhere you look, plants, plants and more plants. Palms, bromeliads, philodendrons and much more. Cycads include Encephalartos altensteinii, Encephalartos ferox, Encephalartos gratus, Encephalartos horridus, Dioon mejia and Ceratozamia robusta. Palms include Roystoneas (big), Caryota and many more. Take a deep breath and smell the air that smells the way only a tropical forest can. Listen to birds chirping, co-visitors laughing and the soughing of the wind through the palm leaves. The Mahoney garden was established in 1995 and the passage of 23 years makes it better and better.    This garden also includes a grand house, featured in an OC house and garden magazine, with, among much else, three exterior bathrooms. And lots of seating areas, all over.    So, come and join us on November 17, 2018 at the Mahoney's Lost World, and lose yourself in it for a while. Find old friends, and find new ones. Eat some potluck food, and maybe bid on some plants at the auction. Remember why you're in California in the first place.   POTLUCK. This will be a potluck meeting. Chicken will be provided; we greatly appreciate food donations from attendees. Salads, desserts, sandwiches (cut into pieces), appetizers, eggrolls, empanadas, etc. If you love it, so will we. If it's your grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better, and we'll love it whether your grandma came from Boston, Baden-Baden, Saigon or Guadalajara. If you make it, great; if you buy and bring, great too. What's better than great food, great company and a grand palm garden? Eat, look at the palms, and be merry.    AUCTION. There will be a plant auction at this meeting. Since the auction provides about half of the PSSC's funding we are grateful for the support of all donors. Donors can donate 100% to the PSSC (we sure love that) or 50/50. But, there are limits on time which require us - and everyone - to work together to make the most of this. Time is limited, so we try, if we can, to get a minimum of $20 per plant, or more. Accordingly: (a) the best plants are rare palms in 1 - 5 gallon pots; (b) we also accept other plants, especially cycads; and (c) we also accept palm-themed objects d'art. We will do larger palms, up to 15 gallons and larger, but they sometimes don't bring the prices donors want. Please, no common palms, such as Phoenix canariensis and robellenii, Trachycarpus fortunei, Sabals, etc. or other common plants. On the other hand, if you have something common you want to re-home, bring it, and we can use it as a raffle plant. Or, just give it to someone who will love it.   DIRECTIONS: From the west (LA, OC, etc): Exit 91 Freeway go right to Imperial Hwy (Rte 90) south. From the east (Riverside), exit 91 Freeway go left on Imperial Hwy (Rte 90) South. Everyone:  Go right on East Santa Ana Canyon Road; go left (south) on Royal Oak Road; go right (west) on E. Crescent Drive; go left (south) on South Peralta Hills Drive, which makes a right (west) elbow-bend; the garden is at Cobblestone Lane and South Peralta Hills Drive.   AGENDA 9:30 A.M. - PSSC Board meeting (all members welcome) 10:30 A.M. - Self-guided tours of the garden 12:00 noon - LUNCH! 1:00 P.M. - General meeting 2:00 P.M. - Auction 4:00 P.M. - Adjourn
    • Wanted - Big Bizzie in So Cal
      By DoomsDave
      Everyone:
      I'm looking for a large Bismarckia to take the place of large Caryota I'm going to edit out.
      15 -gallon and up, send me a PM

• PSSC’s May 2018 meeting mass PRA
      By DoomsDave
      Here’s pics from our meeting 
      post your own!
      The Van Twist Garden 

• Location, Location, Location
      By Jesse
      The other day I was in conversation with a Realtor and was asked, "Where is the best place in orange county for building a palm garden?" This really got me thinking.  If I were to ever move, where would I want to go based on palms alone, within Orange county of course.  I'm in Orange, about 14 miles from the ocean. We can tend to get a bit cool but also fairly hot.  I've been here only 2.5 years and have recorded 107. My soil is fairly well draining and rich. The winds and dry air can get downright nasty with 40mph gusts with single digit humidity. I assume that this question is also dependent on what kind of palms. For discussion sake this palm garden would be focused on Dypsis and Pritchardia.
      Taking all things into consideration such as temperature, wind events, soil type, sun exposure, microclimate, and geography, where is THE spot.
      Looking forward to learning.