IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Interesting new Chamaerops

iwan

I always keep an eye out for interesting Chamaerops.  I had the opportunity the other day to spend a couple hours searching through a few hundred and picked out a few that were interesting.

DSCN3921.thumb.jpg.91584ca1c8404f448b027DSCN3933.thumb.jpg.80726b26a3d832802dec1DSCN3929.thumb.jpg.a0b635e19db5ef0882df8

• Upvote 8

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

#2 Compact fronds and short petiole version.  The bigger fronds were from shade growth.  The smaller fronds are fully sun hardened.

DSCN3937.jpg

DSCN3935.jpg

• Upvote 11

Robert

9A

#3 - Split and wavy fronds.  The hastula is very pronounced in this variety.  Unfortunately, the wave does not photograph well.DSCN3941.thumb.jpg.e39a5e7103d81e6be27e2DSCN3945.thumb.jpg.ecb2ba5fb63fd1e7a8da8DSCN3950.thumb.jpg.f533ca204092f41102923

• Upvote 8

Robert

9A

30 minutes ago, iwan said:

#3 - Split and wavy fronds.  The hastula is very pronounced in this variety.  Unfortunately, the wave does not photograph well.DSCN3941.thumb.jpg.e39a5e7103d81e6be27e2DSCN3945.thumb.jpg.ecb2ba5fb63fd1e7a8da8DSCN3950.thumb.jpg.f533ca204092f41102923

I can see the waves.

Cool palm.B)

I know what you mean. These have prove to be be quite variable in my little world. I was pumping gas on the strip one time in Vegas and noticed some with petite leaves and long petioles. I snatched up some seed and brought them back to Cali. I like the look on them now that they have grown a bit now, I sometimes find myself second guessing the species.

That one in your photo looks tight. I mean that literally; very compact and robust. The exact opposite of the ones I discovered in Vegas.

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

6 hours ago, The Germinator said:

I know what you mean. These have prove to be be quite variable in my little world. I was pumping gas on the strip one time in Vegas and noticed some with petite leaves and long petioles. I snatched up some seed and brought them back to Cali. I like the look on them now that they have grown a bit now, I sometimes find myself second guessing the species.

That one in your photo looks tight. I mean that literally; very compact and robust. The exact opposite of the ones I discovered in Vegas.

Yes, they are all fairly tight.  I will try and get a ruler on the smaller frond variety.  On most of these, you can see the larger and more stretched fronds and petioles from when they were shade grown.  I just wonder how they will mature.  Hopefully they will stay on the smaller side.

I saved the best examples for tonight (hopefully).

Robert

9A

Nice plants!  I have always thought that one could have an entire garden of different forms of Chamaerops.

Here is one from the flower vendor stalls adjacent to the Cite metro station in Paris.

20180403_155320.jpg

20180403_155248.jpg

• Upvote 7

San Francisco, California

Nice Chamaerops! Darold, there is some thought that Chamaerops "Compacta" are actually Chamaerops grown from Vulcano seed that don't quite make the grade to be sold as Vulcano. They sure are similar.

Regards Neil

Yes, too bad that it was not possible to bring a few plants home !    29 euros is a good price, also.   :rolleyes: 

San Francisco, California

#4 Short petiole, prolific fronds.  This is my favorite of the C. humilis varieties acquired.

DSCN3981.thumb.jpg.35eb47857594f2ee8181dDSCN3986.thumb.jpg.6f9fb8d1d6cd1c5817049

Up close and personal. 

DSCN3988.thumb.jpg.97de97548beb38cdffa4f

Edited by iwan
  • Upvote 8

Robert

9A

I am going to start a new thread for the next two, because they are intentional hybrids of C. humilis var argentea with a male Volcano.

DSCN3952.thumb.jpg.9aab2a39835d1f682fa0a

DSCN3960.thumb.jpg.f390e256af5d0105c0208

• Upvote 7

Robert

9A

maybe they can do wavy leaves when they get lots of water and food

actually the older leaves were a bit wavy too but not like this

Edited by Jamesasb

real nice iwan.

#4 is my favorite.  europeans have an upper hand on us in the states when it comes to chamaerops with good reason (origin)

i agree with darold ... the variability in this palm could fill a garden.  i always loved the volcano and have an overwhelming amount of 1 gallon seedlings after receiving hundreds of seeds from a very gracious fellow palm talker from portugal 4 years ago.  these grow extremely slow from seed and are still not exhibiting their specimen leaves yet  

thanks for sharing

cheers

tin

• Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

I love this topic. I have a number of variable Chamaerops planted around the yard. Most come from Vulcano seeds sent to me years ago by a palm lover in Italy. They show a range of Vulcano traits. I also have one I grew from seeds of a variety called "red haired" and came from another European palm friend. It is extra slow growing and is palmate. I don't have a photo of the mother so don't know what a red-haired Chamaerops looks like.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Maybe like this? :D

Hopefully yes, some day. Thanks so much for the photo

Meg

Florida

Today I took photos of some of my variable Chamaerops. Most I grew from a batch of Vulcano seeds. Those seeds yielded a range of Vulcano traits from extreme to almost none, i.e., normal. I also have a variety called Red Hair that has not trunked, so hasn't shown that trait yet.

#1) My much prized Vulcano showing extreme traits.

5ada7168de463_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano1-5ada718108fce_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano1-

2) Two more offspring from the Vulcano seeds. Palm on left is green and shows few Vulcano traits. Palm on right is bluer, has short petioles and smaller leaves.

5ada72204556f_Chamaerops2n304-20-18.thum

Left

5ada722a90f3d_Chamaerops204-20-18.thumb.

Right

5ada7246a3487_Chamaerops304-20-18.thumb.

3) This palm shows some Vulcano traits, I believe

5ada73240c27c_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano5-5ada7334b6713_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano5-

4) This little palm has some Vulcano traits. It was flattened during Hurricane Irma so I staked it in hopes it will survive.

5ada73b7bb0a0_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano6-5ada73c01132b_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano6-

5) Chamaerops humilis Red Hair

5ada74185b642_ChamaeropshumilisRedHair015ada7423c2748_ChamaeropshumilisRedHair02

6) I found this Chamaerops for $5 at a BB clearance. It is so far typical except hasn't shown signs of clustering yet. I hope it will be a rare solitary palm.

5ada74c7e23e7_Chamaeropshumilis4-0104-205ada74d574752_Chamaeropshumilis4-0204-20

• Upvote 6

Meg

Florida

Hi Pal,

like the squirrel. I have some in my area too and sometimes I'll see them close to the Trachies :rolleyes:

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/4/2018, 6:54:22, iwan said:

#2 Compact fronds and short petiole version.  The bigger fronds were from shade growth.  The smaller fronds are fully sun hardened.

DSCN3937.jpg

DSCN3935.jpg

I have a similar specimen, which is the result of an intentional crossing (by Trava) of  cerifera with a dwarf form (pollen donor). 

IMG_20180505_142952.thumb.jpg.7f6d730e9aIMG_20180505_143046.thumb.jpg.688fb1b76eIMG_20180505_143013.thumb.jpg.fc52021ca8

• Upvote 5