IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Unusual Agave Inflorescence

iwan

Two years ago I noticed some odd growths about 18" away from my largest Agave parryi.  At the time, I though they were just some remote pups, but it turns out they were flowers.  I have never seen agave produce an inflorescence remote from the core.  The blooms continued again last year and this spring.  A couple of the blooms from last year are now producing bulbils instead of seed (which I think is the norm for A. parryi).

This is not the best picture, but you can see two unopened flowers between the concrete and the agave.

DSCN2129.thumb.jpg.62ab05963f0e813a02dba

Here is a better shot showing the distance from the mother.

20160706_200706.thumb.jpg.1cce63e1dc61cd

And a couple of unopened flowers.

20160706_200624.thumb.jpg.f1e6672312ca10

The flowers have been very sparse, nothing like a normal inflorescence.  The mother plant showed no traditional indicators of flowering.  Unfortunately, I am not able to located pictures of the unopened flowers from last year.  I assumed that maybe the inflorescence was blocked and blowing out the side, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed a traditional bloom spike pushing out. 

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

And here she is with a traditional bloom stalk starting.

DSCN3833.thumb.jpg.ae53eddc419fb068a4bd2

Love the color!

DSCN3837.thumb.jpg.56fcce6c4e7fc9200c169

• Upvote 5

Robert

9A

Again, very nice! I have several of these also. Can't get enough of these and other compact species

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Not that unusual. A. Americana is notorious for this anomaly. 

Thanks,  I have never see this before and have inquired with several "experienced growers" that have never seen this.  Good to know.

• Upvote 1

Robert

9A

Agree w/ Gonzer, not unheard of but yea, haven't encountered this in any local Agave specimens I have seen either. Thinking this has been discussed over on Agaveville in the past. 

Curious, is this A. parryi truncata or straight parryi? Great specimen regardless. You'll have to update us when she flowers. 

Like Josue, also attracted to the more compact species myself. Have A. pygmae,  parviflora ssp. flexiflora, toumeyana V. bella, pintilla and an unnamed "strings and things" type ( maybe striata or schottii) Atm

This was salvaged from an estate about 6 years ago, so I don't know.  I suspect it is a standard parryi and wouldn't consider it a truncata.  It is not as pointy as my var huachucensis though.  My toumeyana V. bella flowered last year, but no offsets nor seed.  So far it has not died.  I have several smaller species/varieties and a few various A. utahensis ssp. 

I never migrated over to Agaveville from Xericworld, but check there occasionally.  If you happen to run across the reference to this condition, please post it here or PM.

I officially change my subject from Unusual to Uncommon.

Robert

9A

Progress pictures.  4/17

DSCN4003.thumb.jpg.16ecc38c8cdb03015e888DSCN4017.thumb.jpg.dcf33c6cb994100807f7b

4/22

DSCN4077.thumb.jpg.789eb2d6a0769903a1d06

Terrestrial bulbils.  You can see the ground being lifted by the inflorescence.

DSCN4013.thumb.jpg.91525d1d1805f0fc8af0d

Edited by iwan
  • Upvote 2

Robert

9A

It's Audrey II all over again...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."