IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Juania australis Palm Possible Climates

Palmsbro

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Zero sucess,  if you have sucess with this palm I salute you!  Supposedly there are a few nice ones in Ireland.

Haha no way in !#@$%!!!!

<beginRant>

I've burned something like $40 on palm seeds this far and all I've got to show for it is a P. Dactylifera strap leaf (1/6 seeds, I had 2 more but necrosis lol). I also got a miracle Jubaea (1/28, just 45 days in too!) that rotted/fungus'ed away despite half a bottle of pricey fungicide applied over the course of months :rage:. My only P. Canariensis to pop simply shriveled up and I haven't had even a single Washingtonia (those suckers grew out of sidewalks back when I lived in SoCal!!!) pop out out of 50!!! I thought I was being a smug genius and by placing them in full sunlight in a baggy and probably roasting them at 180F like the Bismarckia "torcher chamber" someone tried a while back! Buying from shady-ish Ebay sellers didn't help either.

I've wised up a bit and put the Jubaea's in the garage (although it's probably too late) and I have some freshly harvested B. odorata's I'm excited may actually work this time around!

Then I impulse-bought the last remaining Jubaeopsis batch on RPS (of course probably sitting around for months and the embryo's are toast) with some Copernicia Macroglossa's (no chance of surviving here anyways in the case of another "miracle") that are still on the way, of course $50-ish later. Of course we'll see how that goes... :rolleyes:

<endRant/>

On the bright side I've had a lot of success with Baobab (the one in the pic has almost doubled in size now!) along with various fruits and vegetables (non-tropical). I guess I'll survive a famine if anything :violin:

I'm dipping my toes in cycads as well, with some Dioon edule seeds on the way. Their shelf life is much stronger and I think I'll have a little better luck. +not so much of a pain to transplant and they never get too big. And the resale $$$$$ :mrlooney:

I've made almost a bit of a truce to my inner self to only "splurge" on Tahina spectabilis from now on, the germination comments on RPS are quite inspiring and I'm enamored by the Tahina project overall!

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, Darold Petty said:

My good friend, the late Garrin Fullington planted several Ceroxylon quindiuense palms near a permanent stream in the woods near Fort Ross, CA.  Several grew well at first but they all died eventually.  :(

Some were forcefully removed by the Fort Ross State Park officials, sadly.

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I haven't seen anyone mention the higher elevations of Hawaii yet. Haleakela Volcano's ranger station at roughly 7000' elevation provides average temperatures between 43F and 66F with annual rainfall at almost 50" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakalā). These are somewhat similar conditions to those found in Ireland where this species has thrived.

I wonder how the species would react to the volcanic soil and the high UV indices found at the low latitude and high elevation.

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 1

Well I’ve got some Juania seedlings happening now. They’ve been through there first summer no problem. In WA these would only have a hope of survival along a very narrow coastal strip along the extreme southern coast line. Go inland a bit and get a warm night and they’d be toast. It’s not a success story yet of course. If I can get them to trunk then maybe.

• Like 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:17 AM, CodyORB said:

I haven't seen anyone mention the higher elevations of Hawaii yet. Haleakela Volcano's ranger station at roughly 7000' elevation provides average temperatures between 43F and 66F with annual rainfall at almost 50" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakalā). These are somewhat similar conditions to those found in Ireland where this species has thrived.

I wonder how the species would react to the volcanic soil and the high UV indices found at the low latitude and high elevation.

There's fairly regular winter frost at that elevation, plus most land above about 5000ft above sea level in Hawai`i is in public hands. Those areas also tend to harbor remnants of the highly endangered Hawaiian native flora; any exotic additions would be unwise and unwelcome. I think maybe the gardens around Volcano on the Big Island might be good candidates for growing Juania, though it might be a bit too warm and wet there at 4000ft on the windward side.

• Like 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 1 year later...

When there are next seeds available, I am hoping to try to put some in Artvin, Turkey. It is in the Northwest corner of Turkey, and almost never gets above 28 C.