IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to protect your Coconut palm

Patrick Palms

I am learning all the time. Never did i think coconuts would suffer from sun burn or wind. But yes, i need one used to being in full sun. 

• Upvote 1

My Christmas palm, over 2 metres is doing great. Needs new pot as now getting a bit root bound

IMG-519440349ab9732671386947cdc1840f-V.jpg

• Upvote 2

Coconut bottom stem looks very strong. Just the upper leafs sun burnt, it apoears

Screenshot_20180418-152828_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 1

I use liquid seaweed solution and fish emulsion, I give mine a watering can with this mixture once a week and it seems to thrive. I also add some sulphate of potash to this mixture once a month and every few weeks I pour five litres of seawater around the roots but it is in the ground.

Hello Patrick,

To answer your question here is my 2 cents. I have a house in Funchal at 130 m (426 ft) elevation where we have some trees and palms. Funchal and the south coast in my island is not know to be windy (except the east and west sides), however my house for some reason is situated in a place where it has some wind.

During late February/March we had a very windy storm that came from the south and lasted weeks, a storm that no one I know remembers, at my place things were even worse. The more exposed fronds of my palms got very brown even a queen palm and Euterpe edulis which grow in way cooler places than Funchal. I never see people mentioning winds as a possible cause, but now I believe it can be a great factor if the winds are sustained for a long period of time which was our case (2 or  3 weeks). Lower elevation trees and palms close to the sea got totally burned, it seemed like a big fire consumed all, but that is probably also due to the salt.

With that in mind I believe that cocos might not enjoy sustained high winds for a long period of time, especially in cooler weather where they would probably do well otherwise (with less wind that is).

Let us know how your coco is doing after your wind protection to see if helped!

Regards,

Pedro

Yes I will.  Most likely will grow new stunted leafs, and will take about a year to get strong again.  I will give it plenty of water, and will use liquid seaweed solution and fish emulsion, as earlier advised.   When palm recovers, I will post new pics

• Upvote 1

We get our fair share of harsh Santa Ana winds. However with my limited knowledge of cocos during this one and a half years of attempting to grow them in our latitude  32.7.. 

They don't brown out because of it. Yes, cold rain, cold, wet roots can do this, however, the winds, and they have gone through their share of strong Santa Ana's and have not skipped a beat. Possibly some penciling. But nothing like browning out because of it. Now, folks in my same layitude, but beachside, well, that's a horse of a different color. They get a wallop.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

We get our fair share of harsh Santa Ana winds. However with my limited knowledge of cocos during this one and a half years of attempting to grow them in our latitude  32.7.. 

They don't brown out because of it. Yes, cold rain, cold, wet roots can do this, however, the winds, and they have gone through their share of strong Santa Ana's and have not skipped a beat. Possibly some penciling. But nothing like browning out because of it. Now, folks in my same layitude, but beachside, well, that's a horse of a different color. They get a wallop.

I agree with this, we get very strong winds in Perth that blow for days at a time also and I've never had any problems with the fronds browning, even with temps in the 40c + range but I have had that happen due to the cold in winter.

We did not get below 11 c during the coldest day (zone 12), our queen did get burned in one frond. I can't say if it is only the wind or if the salt can reach our place (which would contribute to the burning) as being 130 m elevation and 500/600 m from the ocean we are quite far. What I can say however is that these palms grow in way cooler climates and thta we had high sustained winds for weeks, never seen anything like that there.

One does not simply ignore the wind:D, I have learned it now...:

r1oWxqs.jpg

BWRvt5X.jpg

qZuekCz.jpg

Jd0yCl7.jpg

vUKWHYv.jpg

Il9bYmG.jpg

This is the result of the tragic March, gusts of 170 km/h, strong winds were also sustained for weeks. For anyone that is used to our climate this is shocking (we are not used to such winds like I said, not for quite this long in an otherwise windless city). If one is to visit Madeira this year it will look quite sad.

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎46‎:‎47‎, Cluster said:

We did not get below 11 c during the coldest day (zone 12), our queen did get burned in one frond. I can't say if it is only the wind or if the salt can reach our place (which would contribute to the burning) as being 130 m elevation and 500/600 m from the ocean we are quite far. What I can say however is that these palms grow in way cooler climates and thta we had high sustained winds for weeks, never seen anything like that there.

One does not simply ignore the wind:D, I have learned it now...:

r1oWxqs.jpg

BWRvt5X.jpg

qZuekCz.jpg

Jd0yCl7.jpg

vUKWHYv.jpg

Il9bYmG.jpg

This is the result of the tragic March, gusts of 170 km/h, strong winds were also sustained for weeks. For anyone that is used to our climate this is shocking (we are not used to such winds like I said, not for quite this long in an otherwise windless city). If one is to visit Madeira this year it will look quite sad.

Wow!  That's really bad, Pedro.  I hope everything recovers there.

John

• Upvote 1

Thanks John,

When I saw this thread I thought it could be somewhat related to the experience we had on the island, of course it is hard to judge based on wind alone as a lot of times the salt is a problem too. In any case in some cases you can clearly see only the more exposed fronds to a certain wind direction took massive damage.

• Upvote 1

On 18/04/2018, 8:26:21, Patrick Palms said:

My Christmas palm, over 2 metres is doing great. Needs new pot as now getting a bit root bound

IMG-519440349ab9732671386947cdc1840f-V.jpg

Xmas palm in England. That just makes me smile. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

England . You must be joking.  Tyrone. Please read previous comments. You can see my property in Fuerteventura , Canary islands , is where my palms are. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018‎ ‎7‎:‎25‎:‎50‎, Cluster said:

Thanks John,

When I saw this thread I thought it could be somewhat related to the experience we had on the island, of course it is hard to judge based on wind alone as a lot of times the salt is a problem too. In any case in some cases you can clearly see only the more exposed fronds to a certain wind direction took massive damage.

Pedro,

That is the WORST salt and wind injury I have ever seen, with the only exceptions being actual hurricanes and tornadoes!

John

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2018 at 21:58, Patrick Palms said:

Inghilterra. Stai scherzando. Tyrone. Si prega di leggere i commenti precedenti. Puoi vedere la mia proprietà a Fuerteventura, Isole Canarie, è dove sono i miei palmi. 

how's your coconut? Grows there in fuerte?