IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerodea elegans I'm trying to save

mdsonofthesouth

Saved these from a poinsettia holiday basket at work.....at least I hope I can. Looks like they got a little "sun burn". Split the 8 palms into pots and gave them a sea kelp shot and will be seeing how they do. Hoping I can save them, guess time will tell.

20180415_221804.thumb.jpg.232b387de67ff0

20180415_174916.thumb.jpg.52351a3b49a161

• Upvote 3

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I've done that several times. I bought a 4" pot with 30-40 tiny palms, separate, then pot. They do very well in pots. Keep them in shade and they should take off once warm weather sets in. Good save.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

19 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I've done that several times. I bought a 4" pot with 30-40 tiny palms, separate, then pot. They do very well in pots. Keep them in shade and they should take off once warm weather sets in. Good save.

Im not about to turn down free palms and they seem to be happier so far separated and not stuck in 1 to 2 inches of "soil". Worst case they die from works neglect, best case I'll be sharing little palms with people.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

They are naturally solitary palms so forcing them into clusters is palm abuse. They are not as delicate as many people assume so yours should do well overall with proper care.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Im hoping with some spoon feeding the roots will mature and grow deeper. Currently they are pretty small from being clumped and in a not so nice "planting". With more soil and nutrients I'm hopeful!

Hi,

did the same with a plant I received after two years of beeing kept in a small pot with many others. Could only safe one very small one but his one is growing steadily.

Keep my fingers crossed for yours

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018, 3:19:52, Palmensammler said:

Hi,

did the same with a plant I received after two years of beeing kept in a small pot with many others. Could only safe one very small one but his one is growing steadily.

Keep my fingers crossed for yours

Eckhard

Thanks! Most of them have put off a new spear or frond. 1 or 2 arent so productive so time will tell. Hoping to keep these in the shop to clean the air.