Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Palm Exchange suggestion

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think the Palm Exchange could be improved if it were restructured. Currently the subforums are as follows:

• For Sale
  • For Trade
  • Plants Wanted
  • Freebies
  • Palm Grower/Buyer Ratings

Shipping typically isn't an option when you buy palms so it makes a big difference where the palm for sale/trade/wanted/free is located. I regularly find myself clicking into threads offering palms for sale just to see they're in California and immediately close the thread. In consideration of this, I believe the Palm Exchange would be more efficient if it were restructured to be location based.  Here are the subforums I propose:

• California
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • Other
  • Palm Grower/Buyer Ratings
Edited by RedRabbit

A worthy suggestion as I end up doing the same.  Even if the threads were tagged with the location and a "no shipping" or "shipping available", it would help those of us browsing for a deal.

Posted (edited)

You both live in Florida. There are nurseries here that have rare palms. See Grower Rating section. We grow them faster and you can assimilate quite the collection rapidly at a lesser cost.

Edited by Moose

There is a new IPS website that has been in the works for some time now. I am under the impression that it was proposed to have in it a more detailed For Sale section and even auctions. But that is not something I know anything about.

Posted (edited)

On 4/17/2018, 10:26:21, PALM MOD said:

There is a new IPS website that has been in the works for some time now. I am under the impression that it was proposed to have in it a more detailed For Sale section and even auctions. But that is not something I know anything about.

Ahh, cool. Thanks Dean. :) 

Edited by RedRabbit

The majority of plants for sale on PalmTalk are located in Florida and California, but as an International forum I don't feel it would be right to create 'local' forums whereby only 2 or 3 locales are presented to a worldwide community. A revamped Palm Exchange should ideally be run on a classified ads platform to allow all the benefits of online shopping. Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree John.

I, for one, would always do what I can to keep the "International" in the International Palm Society.