IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

If you watch anything about palms on YouTube, who do you watch? I know if you do watch YouTube videos about palms you probably watch a lot of videos from different people (I do too), but if you ever come back to certine channels, which ones? I mainly watch BananaJSSI and The Palm Fiend. Also the IPS has a channel but I am not sure if they use it these days, here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkcr0EhbVXmIp80dtFdqhjA

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

It doesn't look like they use that channel anymore (IPS Youtube channel; last video was 2 years ago!). I currently watch hardly any Youtube videos about palms (I don't watch that many Youtube videos in general anyway though).

• 2 weeks later...

I watch many palm and tropical plant related YouTube videos, as well as upload my own. The last one I uploaded was in September of 2017, just three days before my property was ravaged by Hurricane Irma. I had planned on uploading a Hurricane Irma aftermath video, but just haven't been motivated enough to do it yet. I lost a few palm species, and some large trees. Also, I lost about 10-12 large slash pine trees. They weren't blown down, they were traumatized to the point where pine bark beetles infected and killed them.

• Upvote 6

Mad about palms

6 hours ago, Walt said:

I watch many palm and tropical plant related YouTube videos, as well as upload my own. The last one I uploaded was in September of 2017, just three days before my property was ravaged by Hurricane Irma. I had planned on uploading a Hurricane Irma aftermath video, but just haven't been motivated enough to do it yet. I lost a few palm species, and some large trees. Also, I lost about 10-12 large slash pine trees. They weren't blown down, they were traumatized to the point where pine bark beetles infected and killed them.

Nice video, sorry to hear about the damage from the hurricane. Please upload that aftermath video! I browsed some of your videos and they are really well made, I like them! 

PalmTreeDude

15 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice video, sorry to hear about the damage from the hurricane. Please upload that aftermath video! I browsed some of your videos and they are really well made, I like them! 

I think I will try to start making the post Irma video this week. I have pics and video both on my cell phone and camera. I need to upload all of them to my video editing program. My biggest loss in palms was my tallest Syagrus botryophora, followed by the loss of my shorter one. Both were snapped in two halfway up their trunks. I had big mature queen palms also snapped in two. My county was second hardest it in Florida, as we were in the right-side of the eye (the worst side).

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

• 1 month later...

Have you folks heard of the palm fiend? 

https://youtu.be/evdqQJFrSjc

He's a low key member of ours. Honestly humble.

And he's spot on with his videos!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018, 1:24:58, GottmitAlex said:

Have you folks heard of the palm fiend? 

https://youtu.be/evdqQJFrSjc

He's a low key member of ours. Honestly humble.

And he's spot on with his videos!

Yeah I have seen his videos, they are really good. I like how when he talks about a palm he finds one and shows it to us. Speaking of him being a member, I am surprised Banana JSSI is not a member here. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

8 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Yeah I have seen his videos, they are really good. I like how when he talks about a palm he finds one and shows it to us. Speaking of him being a member, I am surprised Banana JSSI is not a member here. 

I believe there is a pnw palm forum?  I have never checked. Is so, he may be a member there.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)