IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pictures of Naturalized Palms In Florida?

PalmTreeDude

I have not seen any naturalized palms in Florida before with my own eyes. I have seen some pictures of them scattered around the forum though, but I wanted to make a thread specifically about them. Can people post some pictures of naturalized (non-native) palms in the wild in Florida? 

PalmTreeDude

South of Orlando on the turnpike there are Plenty of Phoenix hybrids naturalizing and there is another spot L chiniensis is natyralizing but I can’t rememeber where that was on the turnpike 

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Here are some in St. Pete:

Syagrus romanzoffiana in Sawgrass Lake Park:Screenshot_20180406-074314.jpg.dc1be18cf

Washingtonia palm in Boyd Hill Nature Preserve, near intersection of MLK St S and Country Club Way S:

Screenshot_20180412-221151.jpg.7b67a947f

I will most likely post more at a later time as I find more naturalized palms growing in the wild on Google maps as I look around on it.

This brings up another question. What exactly are we calling "naturalized" here? 

Almost every palm I see in Florida - be it in a shopping center parking lot, a public park, a Bot. Garden, or a vacant lot, has seedlings surrounding it. Is that not naturalizing? 

4 hours ago, santoury said:

This brings up another question. What exactly are we calling "naturalized" here? 

Almost every palm I see in Florida - be it in a shopping center parking lot, a public park, a Bot. Garden, or a vacant lot, has seedlings surrounding it. Is that not naturalizing? 

In this discussion, `naturalized' means that it is growing in an area considered wild such as a nature preserve or other almost entirely undeveloped area, but is not a result of cultivation (of that specimen only).

Does this help?

Looked it up to clarify… here's what "google says." 

An intentionally or unintentionally introduced species that has adapted to and reproduces successfully in its new environment.

So, we are both correct. 

Don't try that rationale in California

24 minutes ago, santoury said:

Looked it up to clarify… here's what "google says." 

An intentionally or unintentionally introduced species that has adapted to and reproduces successfully in its new environment.

So, we are both correct. 

That rationale doesn't fly here in California. Any palm that isn't native (1) is considered "invasive". The ultra-conservationists can't wait to fire up their chain saws when one is spotted.

• Upvote 1

It isn't obvious at first glance, but they're all over the place.  Phoenix reclinata are probably the most invasive species around. 

Here are some growing on Ft. Desoto:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6219265,-82.7180742,3a,75y,306.62h,85.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWfrsaOQzGpGvM3H-D90VtA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Livistona, Syagrus, and Washintonia are common in the Tampa Bay area too.

• Upvote 3

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

More pictures (Is C. nucifera naturalizing on the gulf coast of fl?, second one is on Keywaydin Island):

Screenshot_20180413-220324.jpg.cffd90259

Screenshot_20180413-221835.jpg.caa64fe98

• Upvote 3

I will post some pictures I personally took at Boyd Hill Nature Preserve that show numerous naturalized palms. This first one is of some banana-like palms (though likely in the Musa genus [though this is not in the Arecaceae family]).

20180414_183737.jpg

Some palm of unknown species that grows somewhat commonly around St. Pete, but I also found wild in Boyd Hill:

20180414_183101.jpg

• Upvote 2

I know that I can post more than 2 pictures per post, but it kept giving me a "you are only allowed to post 8mb" error. This will most likely be my last picture about some palms I found growing wild in Boyd Hill Nature Preserve, and it is a young Syagrus romanzoffiana:

20180414_183604.jpg

1 hour ago, Palmsbro said:

Some palm of unknown species that grows somewhat commonly around St. Pete, but I also found wild in Boyd Hill:

Looks like phoenix roebelenii

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

39 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like phoenix roebelenii

That looks like the right species (after a short search on Phoenix roebelenii).

Edited by Palmsbro
Badly written

• 3 years later...

I went for a walk in the woods yesterday with my son. It’s been very dry here lately so we were able to venture into a cypress swamp that’s currently dry.

C7EF4677-BE93-4E79-AF94-8959E6FACD7A.thumb.jpeg.d80785f83efa210f3517a6cb304d0660.jpeg

Nobody ever goes back there (and usually can’t) and it’s at least 1/4th mile from any subdivision. I was surprised to find a small queen palm growing in the swamp. 
ACC62BB2-86AB-4661-ACA2-4C87E566ECD4.thumb.jpeg.5bd235a22d8325c078e83c066a003e04.jpeg

There were actually a few other seedlings around there. I think it’s interesting to see this. I knew queens were invasive in Florida, but I thought it was mostly just volunteers here and there. Evidently they’re growing in random swamps so they must be more established than I realized.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Little royal palm growing in the woods near the highway 64 on ramp to I-75. 

image.png

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B