IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops humilis var cerifera...painfully slow

mdsonofthesouth

Both put on 2 fronds right away but have taken months to barely push out a 3rd. They get OK sun, sit at 70f+ and get controlled watering. Gave them a shot of organic sea kelp and water few weeks back and thats what seemed to start the next fronds. Might do a monthly light handed "feed" for them from here on out. Love the way these palms look but they grow slow as molasses in winter time!20180412_080555.thumb.jpg.8e48547794b19120180412_080618.thumb.jpg.b357ecc03552f4

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Since I am limited to 8MB here is the other one.20180412_080622.thumb.jpg.b7c6873fcf7f53

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Jungle Music lists them as slow growers.  I would have to agree.  I've had one in the ground down here for more than a year, and it hasn't changed in appearance that much.  Since palms are typically slower in pots, watching that grow probably seems like watching paint peel.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Jungle Music lists them as slow growers.  I would have to agree.  I've had one in the ground down here for more than a year, and it hasn't changed in appearance that much.  Since palms are typically slower in pots, watching that grow probably seems like watching paint peel.

Yeah it is lol! But I diligently test to see if it needs water and feed it when it needs it. Hoping for the best, but planning on the worst. One goes to my grandmas in Leesburg and the other will stay with me on the SE facing "nook" Ill be getting come summer. Absolutely LOVE cerifera as its a cooler looking version of my first palm, but I worry that the slow growth might be its undoing here. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

They are very slow here too. I have one I grew from seeds 4-5 years ago. I planted it on one edge of my garden lot because they are quite drought tolerant once established. It is palmate but its skimpy leaves are only about 6" diameter. I have to be careful not to smother it with red mulch. They really like full sun, will mope & be prone to mealybugs if kept in shade. My much larger/older palm stayed in a perennial funk for years until the palms nearby grew tall enough to let the sunshine in. Below is a photo of my largest argentea/cerifera taken in 2014 when it finally was exposed to much desired morning sun

Chamaerops argentea nee cerifera, 2014 Cape Coral, FL

5ad1329bdb22b_Chamaeropsargenteaneecerif

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Very cool! 

Today I took this photo of my smallest cerifera. I grew it from seed 3 years ago. I sometimes have doubts about its ultimate survival but it keeps putting along.

Chamaerops argentea/cerifera

5ad5292eeecf1_Chamaeropsargentea-cerifer

• Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

Love yalls cerifera! What temps can my smaller ones take in pots? We are in the 60s and low 40s at night. Going see april weather soon hopefully but I want to take the pots outside without killing them. Figure ill be planting these near my citrus I plan on putting a greenhouse for the winter around them.

Potted ones can easily take the temps you mention and lower. Let them go out and grow.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Ahh good to hear as wife will be happy for sure! Figured they'd be happier in the house where the temp is the same.