IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newest Acquisition H. Belmoreana

el-blanco

I already have 1 of these already but could not resist this one.  Nice 15 gallon from Blue Bell palms in Anaheim.

In the ground photos to follow.

Post pictures of yours if you have this species.

JW

IMG_8046.JPG

• Upvote 12

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

There's some very mature ones in and around my new neighborhood, all gorgeous.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Howea belmoreana definitely has a very distinctive appearance.  Here is one of mine.

20180312-104A8757.jpg

• Upvote 12

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This reminds me of a potential topic, The dirty secret about H. belmoreana.  This species is variable in the degree of keeled and recurved shape of the fronds.

Some are just OK, and some, like Tracy's palm, are superior.  I have examples of this spectrum of frond shape with my own plants.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

19 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

This reminds me of a potential topic, The dirty secret about H. belmoreana.  This species is variable in the degree of keeled and recurved shape of the fronds.

Some are just OK, and some, like Tracy's palm, are superior.  I have examples of this spectrum of frond shape with my own plants.  :rolleyes:

Pictures?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking pretty sweet there El Blanco!!!  This is one I sold to Sherman gardens about the same size a few years back...It was big and I basically just was their buyer. ..

30223158_1704015276330771_39735913_o.jpg

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My own in my front yard is getting pretty hard to photograph... but its fighting for the light!

30223760_1704007182998247_766443321_o.jpg

30769101_1704007212998244_2035786834_o.jpg

30223615_1704007342998231_1879108373_o.jpg

30232434_1704007349664897_1476137731_o.jpg

• Upvote 5

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

This species is variable in the degree of keeled and recurved shape of the fronds.

Darold, do you think that the less recurved specimens could have been hybrids with Howea forsteriana?  I really like the recurved look.  Our moderator and  now his son have a nice very recurved one that you can see from the street in Dean's old, now Dorian's garden here in Leucadia.

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Darold, do you think that the less recurved specimens could have been hybrids with Howea forsteriana?  I really like the recurved look.  Our moderator and  now his son have a nice very recurved one that you can see from the street in Dean's old, now Dorian's garden here in Leucadia.

@Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms showed me a beautiful one that is supposedly a hybrid. It's worth some pictures!

I never saw any intermediate forms on LHI.  The four palm zones have very little overlap.  There is one palm here in San Francisco that seems like a potential F1.  I'll try for a photograph of that one also.

No observed hybrids in habitat does not mean this is not possible in California.  Plants don't necessarily behave the same out of habitat.  I have two very large Rhopalostylis sapida x baueri.  All of my visitors from Oz or NZ insist this is not possible because the two species flower at different times of year.  In my garden, and San Diego gardens, they do flower concurrently.  My plants exhibit characters of both species.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

@Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms showed me a beautiful one that is supposedly a hybrid. It's worth some pictures!

Just to clarify, I was discussing the Howea belmoreana, not the hybrids in my comments after asking Darold if the less recurved ones could be hybrids.  The nice specimen in Dorian's garden here in Leucadia that I have seen while walking by is the real deal (Howea belmoreana).  I will be interested in seeing what the hybrids look like.  Relative to Darold's comments above about "natural hybrids" in habitat not existing, it goes without saying that outside habitat, humans intervention has created some really interesting hybrids, both in palms and other plants.

I am 99.9% sure I have a hybrid that I planted near my Kentia and Belmore. I got it from Palm Mountain waaaay back and at first while getting it was told it was a Hedy.... when I noted it looked very different (Bunches of them in 1 gal pots.) I was then told they were Belmores. They did not look Belmores I found out later, BUT these exhibited Hybrid vigor PLUS! I got two, Put one in a 15 gal and it took off, the other left in a 1 gal. During the 2007 freeze event, due to location or more likely my learning curve, I killed the 15 gal. After a while I had looked at these a while I decided it had to be a Hybrid. My Kentia had super droopy fronds, the Belmore was recurved and upright and these were right in the middle. Basically a flat leaf. After I found a very good Belmore in a 15 gal and planted it next to my Kentia within a short time I decided to plant the remaining 1 gal. At the time the Kentia was nearly trunking, the Howea a Very nice 15 gal, maybe slightly smaller than El Blancos and in went the 1 gal Hybrid. It took maybe 2 years to pass the belmore, another year or two to catch the Kentia and now has probably 5' of trunk and holding a few seeds. (no idea if viable at all).

I am also sure that Marks palm came from the same batch.

I "think" I started a thread about it/them waaay back, I'll look.

Mine are hard to see, they are jammed in. They all came together years ago bought from Lord Howe  Island.

The first little one is in heavy shade, it may account for the different growth rates.

P4130001.thumb.JPG.bcead8fa82bb9b9354a7e

P4130002.thumb.JPG.33bdb795b492afb80e4cb

• Upvote 4

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Only guessing but I would imagine that having bought my 3 from Lord Howe Island that 'they' would know what they were, unfortunately for me, my plants are not the strikingly recurved or keeled ones. The under developed one looks like any number of various Chamaedoreas around it, and the two big ones are no different just bigger.

I'm just suggesting that just because they don't recurve may not be sufficient reason to suspect a hybrid. Mind you we have all bought plants mislabelled haven't we. As Darold said they are highly variable.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I have some fresh photos, but they are not very good.  The best photos of the best forms are previously posted by Tracy and Matt in OC.  The fronds are both highly keeled in their attachment to the rachis ( above the horizontal, and less than 180 degrees)  and the rachis is highly recurved.

The first two photos show my palms I consider good. 

The third photo is one of mine that is inferior, with a more flat blade.  This plant was imported from the LHI nursery, so the ID is correct.  It is quite similar to the one just posted by GTSteve. I am so disappointed with this one that I might yet remove it. 

The last photo is the "odd" Howea in my old neighborhood of Cole Valley. There has been conjecture that it might be an F1 hybrid.  I spoke with the owner today, and there is 'some' chance that he will allow me to use an extension ladder for a closer examination.   

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

• Upvote 8

She is in the ground.  Love all your pictures of this species.

IMG_8065.JPG

• Upvote 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎39‎:‎42‎, BS Man about Palms said:

My own in my front yard is getting pretty hard to photograph... but its fighting for the light!

30223760_1704007182998247_766443321_o.jpg

30769101_1704007212998244_2035786834_o.jpg

30223615_1704007342998231_1879108373_o.jpg

30232434_1704007349664897_1476137731_o.jpg

Wow Bill, I can see mulch and the top of your soil in your third photo! The lack of copious amounts of towering weeds is impressive! :greenthumb: :D

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018, 7:49:03, Darold Petty said:

This species is variable in the degree of keeled and recurved shape of the fronds.

Shortly after this I was visiting my cousin's garden and noticed two side by side.  One with very recurved leaves which had tips pointing toward the ground (the taller one behind) and another smaller one in front which didn't exhibit nearly the amount of recurved leaves.

20180504-104A9222.jpg

• Upvote 4