IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sunbird Hybrid Aloes from South Africa

RichAZ

I'm fascinated by these amazing aloes (www.sunbirdaloes.co.za) and wondering if anyone knows where I can buy them in the US.   I've emailed their operations in both SA and Australia with no reply.  Any help on who has plants for sale would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks.   

RichAz,

I do also want to buy those beauties.

I think i must go there and bring back some cuttings?

Good luck.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Looks like US distribution of these aloes is in its early stages, and mostly to wholesalers. Here's a site with some background info: http://www.bloomingaloe.com/

Also, San Marcos has some information as well: https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3734

I'd love to get an 'Erik the Red' Aloe cultivar... someday. ^_^

SunbirdAloe.jpg

Thanks for that!  I tried Blooming Aloe but they haven't responded yet.  San Marcos is a good lead.  I'll let you know if I make any progress!

• Upvote 1

Rich, 

Have you contacted any of the specialty mail order nurseries in Tucson? Id imagine someone down there has access to these. Almost positive I have seen "Erik the Red" for sale while making the rounds picking up other stuff. Id list who id contact but listing nurseries not connected w/the palm society has been sort of a grey area in the past. Anyway, i'm sure you know where to look. 

Good luck, 
-Nathan

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Erik the Red

33B7C9FB-BFBC-41DC-817E-1F7BB5184C84.jpeg

Nice, Ben! Looks like it has a long (and continuing) blooming period.  Did you get it locally (NorCal?).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Rich, 

Have you contacted any of the specialty mail order nurseries in Tucson? Id imagine someone down there has access to these. Almost positive I have seen "Erik the Red" for sale while making the rounds picking up other stuff. Id list who id contact but listing nurseries not connected w/the palm society has been sort of a grey area in the past. Anyway, i'm sure you know where to look. 

Good luck, 
-Nathan

Nathan: For me (and others not in AZ) the best opportunity would be to locate these hybrids at a nursery that can ship them to Calif.

• Upvote 1

Hill,
:hmm:   Unless something has changed recently, most of the mail-order Cacti/Succulent places here can ship outside of AZ.  

If I didn't make the trip out to purchase in person, i'd order stuff from here when I lived in San Jose. Its how I got my Bursera collection started.

I have an update to share.  San Marcos Growers website indicates that they're producing a few of these including Moonglow, Topaz, Scarlett Rockets and Erik the Red (!)   You can't buy them direct but Trio Nursery in Santa Barbara, CA (www.trionursery.com) is a reseller and ships.  They're checking inventory and pricing for me now.  More to follow...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Rich, 

Good luck, 
-Nathan

Thanks Nathan!  I'll look into that!

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Nice, Ben! Looks like it has a long (and continuing) blooming period.  Did you get it locally (NorCal?).

I procured mine from Ruth Bancroft Garden in Walnut Creek, where I am a member.  Worth checking out next time you are in the area, if you have not been - lots of drought tolerant oddities you will seldom see elsewhere.  Ruth recently passed away at an exceptionally ripe old age - I think she started the garden around 1970?

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

18 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I procured mine from Ruth Bancroft Garden in Walnut Creek, where I am a member.  Worth checking out next time you are in the area, if you have not been - lots of drought tolerant oddities you will seldom see elsewhere.  Ruth recently passed away at an exceptionally ripe old age - I think she started the garden around 1970?

That's a great tip Ben, thank you.  I'm up there fairly often and have brought plenty of plants through TSA.  

• Upvote 1

As a bonus when visiting the Ruth Bancroft Garden, you can see some palms provided years ago by the late Dick Douglas.  He lived a couple blocks away and was friends with Ruth.

As far as nursery sources, Peacock Horticultural up in Petaluma is a neat little nursery and seems to stock some new and unique plants.  Not sure if they ship, but they have an online presence.

• Upvote 2

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

4 hours ago, iwan said:

As a bonus when visiting the Ruth Bancroft Garden, you can see some palms provided years ago by the late Dick Douglas.  He lived a couple blocks away and was friends with Ruth.

As far as nursery sources, Peacock Horticultural up in Petaluma is a neat little nursery and seems to stock some new and unique plants.  Not sure if they ship, but they have an online presence.

Peacock Horticultural Nursery frequently posts blog updates on available stock, which can include Braheas, bromeliads, interesting camellias and those aloes some of us are seeking, incl. Erik The Red. http://peacockhorticulturalnursery.com/blog/

I've been there and it should be on your itinerary if you're taking a Sonoma County specialty nursery tour. ^_^

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ben: Thanks for this suggestion. It'll be one of my springtime destinations this year when I'm on the prowl for plants!;)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RichAZ said:

I have an update to share.  San Marcos Growers website indicates that they're producing a few of these including Moonglow, Topaz, Scarlett Rockets and Erik the Red (!)   You can't buy them direct but Trio Nursery in Santa Barbara, CA (www.trionursery.com) is a reseller and ships.  They're checking inventory and pricing for me now.  More to follow...

Rich: I'll keep an eye on the Trio Nursery site since at least right now they're not accepting new orders. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

Rich: I'll keep an eye on the Trio Nursery site since at least right now they're not accepting new orders. Thanks!

Just spoke to Trio. Super nice guy and he did reach out to San Marcos about these Aloes.  Apparently the stock they have is small and it's all being repotted and not for sale currently....

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RichAZ said:

Just spoke to Trio. Super nice guy and he did reach out to San Marcos about these Aloes.  Apparently the stock they have is small and it's all being repotted and not for sale currently....

Thanks for the update. For me, a part of the satisfaction of gardening is in the 'chase' to locate specific plants!

• Upvote 1

Spoke to the nursery manager at Ruth Bancroft today.  He wasn't aware of Sunbird but I guided him to their website and he was intrigued.  He's going to see if they can pick up distribution.  That seems encouraging.  I feel like all these inquiries will eventually start a fire  somewhere.  Today I picked up a shrubby "aloe hybrid" from a local nursery as a consolation prize.  They have no idea what it is.  I'll post a pic tomorrow and maybe we can figure it out.  

• Upvote 3

Blooming aloe seems to be connected with aloe-aloe out of Australia. About 10 years ago I had thought about ordering from aloe-aloe but it was going to be pretty expensive (around $3000-5000 minimum IIRC) and they could not guarantee that our customs would let them through (they probably would, but couldn't swear to it). I don't know how much has changed today. They DO have some spectacular aloes. 

https://aloe-aloe.com.au/plants/

7 hours ago, richtrav said:

Blooming aloe seems to be connected with aloe-aloe out of Australia. About 10 years ago I had thought about ordering from aloe-aloe but it was going to be pretty expensive (around $3000-5000 minimum IIRC) and they could not guarantee that our customs would let them through (they probably would, but couldn't swear to it). I don't know how much has changed today. They DO have some spectacular aloes. 

https://aloe-aloe.com.au/plants/

Blooming Aloe is designated as the US distributor on aloe-aloe's website but they don't really seem to be up and running.  Both their website and Facebook pages are bare bones and more like placeholders at the moment.  I've sent messages through both platforms but no one responds.  Not sure if their on the way in or on the way out.  This has turned into a real quest.