IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix maxima growth

JubaeaMan138

It is crazy how fast these palms grow . This thing was a small 5 gallon just a little over a year ago. How does purpurea growth compare?IMG_3163.thumb.JPG.19a22ba1ab71164b2f634

• Upvote 3

Depends on how much the purpurea likes where it's been planted. A few months back, I would have said they are glacially slow, based on my experience. But my neighbor got a one gallon Floribunda plant two years ago, planted it in full sun, and today saw that it has two rings of trunk. Like the others in the genus, crazy fast when happy.

• Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Nice palm! Wish I could find a maxima around here, they're hard to come by!

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Purpurea is by far the slowest of the genus. It is really slow in comparison. After being in the ground for 4-5 years it picks up speed. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Purpurea is by far the slowest of the genus. It is really slow in comparison. After being in the ground for 4-5 years it picks up speed. 

And for me a difficult grow.....even in shade.

• Upvote 2

I have noticed winter was rough on mine. Went and looked at my triple purpurea earlier last few days of heat have changed it completely I have mine in shade and it gets a ton of water 

I need to come see your garden someday Jim I believe your garden was the one 5150cycads was telling me about 

• Upvote 2

On 4/8/2018, 9:24:36, RedRabbit said:

Nice palm! Wish I could find a maxima around here, they're hard to come by!

Want some free seed?

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Purpurea are slow, but pretty, worth the wait.

They're really susceptible to pink rot in my garden. My best one was hanging over my shingled roof, extra heat seemed to be good for it. Alas, had to take it down, insurance co orders, trunk on fascia. :badday:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

20 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Want some free seed?

No thanks, my germination rate has been really low. Don't want your perfectly good seed to go to waste with my ineptitude.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

24 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

No thanks, my germination rate has been really low. Don't want your perfectly good seed to go to waste with my ineptitude.

Try anyway! Practice makes perfect.

If I had a dollah for all I've killed . . . I'd be embarrassingly rich.

BUT

Up to you . . . . .

One of my purpureas, 2 years exactly from a 1 gal., back filled with sand. This area gets plenty of water and a decent amount of sun. The newest frond opened a few weeks ago. 

805554C6-763F-42B7-877E-2A4BF0A5C11B.jpeg

947D4E48-71DE-4BC8-BDBF-993076DF110A.jpeg

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

Finally was able to get a hold of my first Maxima which is only a 5 gallon. I hope it grows as fast as most users report. Archontophoenix is my favorite type of palm. I have about a dozen Alexanders and 12 Cunninghamiana planted. So far my Alexander palms are growing much slower than my Bangalows. Although with both species I have noticed they do grow slow until they hit 6-7 feet then start to speed up from there. I dont currentyl have any Purpea in my yard. Jubeaman if your in Riverside, I'm in Rancho Cucamonga we probably have somewhat similar growing conditions. I'm in 9B as I am above the 210 near the base of the San Gabriel Mountains at approx 1600 feet elevation.

Edited by James B

Yeah we are similar I’m also a higher elevation situated on top of a hill get excellent air drainage I’m usually 10 degrees warmer than at the bottom of the hill down the street from my house . I am off Van Buren directly across from California historic citrus park not sure if you know the area at all ?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

No I am not familiar with the area. But it’s nice to see someone in a similar climate zone who also is an Archontophoenix fan. Keep me posted on your results!

I had a maxima in my garden and it died the first winter from frost. They definitely take the heat better than other species but cold is a different story. Basically should grow great up the hill there but definitely not down in the valley below. 

• Upvote 1

The little guy under canopy of some larger Alexander and Cunninghamiana is the Maxima I planted almost 4 weeks ago now. Bought in a 5 gal size.

75EFA875-8F3C-447B-95D7-A93A715C9CC6.jpeg

E5F4417C-D050-4DCC-8F30-35D58C6FD496.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Here is a "Maxima" that I got from Bret "quaman58" back in August 2013, as a five gallon.  It has grown well, but is a little yellow because I have never fertilized it.  It is a nice palm here in inland Escondido, CA.

Maxima King Palm.jpg

• Like 1

I meant to ad that Bret said this palm's parent was originally labeled as A. purpurea -- which he said it obviously was not.