IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philly Windmill palm winter damage.

Oldmagoo

My now 7 year old Trachy survived that brutal January freeze in zone 7b Philadelphia, pa area. But, mostly all frons are fried. It is pushing up new frons, so i know it's OK. I think my wrapping was insufficient this year. Any expertise on fertilizer, and any other care? 

Was it heated what a good wrapping might be is make like a covering out of pvc pipes then wrap that with some kind of plastic so it acts like a greenhouse and you can put that on the existing covering when it really gets cold.Finnaly great to see someone from Nj/pa on this,forum!

It’s good sign that your palm is growing. If I were you I’d pour a little bit of hydrogen peroxide in the crown, to ensure it isn’t secretly rotting. If you hear fizzing or see white foam, pour more. I did this with my Trachycarpus back in March and now you can see a brown stripe on its newest frond, that’s where the spear was beginning to rot, but it’s fine now.

I’ve lost more palms (cold hardy, subtropical, tropical, etc.) to rot coming out of winter than anything else. And I only fertilize my palms when they begin growing normally.