IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seeds Syagrus lorenzoniorum

caixeta

Few seeds fresh and ripe . 15 seeds for 30 USD with international freight included . send me PM. Thanks .  Mother plant ( very beutiful and rare )5ac7a59fa0ea7_Syagruslorenzoniorum001.th5ac7a60aad841_Syagruslorenzoniorum002.th5ac7a6a1d2d76_Syagruslorenzoniorum004.th5ac7a6f48b8f7_Syagruslorenzoniorum005.th and details .

• Upvote 5

Caixeta

It is a beautiful palm and so tempting. But last time someone in Central/South America tried to send me seeds, US Customs seized them because I didn't have a Small Lot Seeds import permit. Then they sent me a notice that if I tried to get more seeds they would prosecute me. So, I don't dare try.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hey Meg;  Shoot me a PM, I do have an Aphis 587 permit, and I have used it successfully several times !  :P

San Francisco, California

Applying for a permit was not difficult several years ago.  The hardest part was hvaing to show up in person at a USDA facility (think it was my county AG commissioner) to provide proof of ID.  I think mine expired due to lack of use.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I will post an overview of my permit experiences in the next few days.  As Robert stated, it is an easy process, entirely on-line until the very end when one must appear in person to verify his on-line identity.  However, the real world experience is more complicated, especially concerning hand carry of seeds at the point of entry to USA.  I have imported seeds from Argentina, Australia, Ecuador, and Spain.

It is not raining at this moment, so I am leaving virtual Palmtalk for my real garden !!!!!!!  :mrlooney:  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iwan said:

Applying for a permit was not difficult several years ago.  The hardest part was hvaing to show up in person at a USDA facility (think it was my county AG commissioner) to provide proof of ID.  I think mine expired due to lack of use.

I had one too but never used it. I would have had to drive 3+ hours to Miami to collect my seeds. Or give someone there my credit card #(!!!??!!) to have them mailed. Or set up a personal Fed Ex acct. to have them shipped. I decided the occasional batch of seeds wasn't worth all that hassle.

Meg

Florida

The seeds were exhausted . Thank you for hall . Good germination . Caixeta .

• Upvote 1

Caixeta

• 1 month later...

Hello to all.  I received these seeds from Mauricio, utilizing my USDA Aphis 587 permit. This permit allows the importation of small lots of seeds without documentation or phytosanitary certificate.  The application is done on-line and the penultimate step is appearance before a government agent to verify one's online ID.

The text of the permit documents is somewhat misleading, one can get the impression that seeds can be hand carried at one's arrival airport when entering the USA. 

This is not true.  The Agriculture agents are mostly working to check for prohibited items like fruits, meats, and contraband.  (I lost some very expensive salami purchased from Peck in Milan!) :mrlooney:

If your arrive with your 587 permit and hand carried seeds it is likely that the Agriculture agent is not familiar with the correct response. We once waited an hour while the agent researched his course of action.  In this case the agent is supposed to take your seeds, issue a itemized receipt to you, and then to forward the seeds, at government expense, to the proper inspection facility within the Same State, as your port of entry.  For example, I landed in Dallas/ Ft Worth from South America, and the seeds were sent to Houston, rather than the inspection facility closest to my home in San Francisco.

After inspection sometimes if the package is lightweight the government will just re-seal the package and forward it to the permitee.  Once when I had a kilogram of seed I purchased a label from United Parcel Service for the approximate weight, and the UPS store faxed the label to the inspection facility.

The easiest method is just to have the seeds shipped from the country of origin, using the Aphis green label as the mailing address.  This requires some advance planning.  Keep in mind as well that it can be illegal to export seed without documentation from the country of origin, for example, Ecuador. Also, international shipping like UPS or DHL are often clueless about the proper procedure.  I attempted to ship seed from Buenos Aires, but I received conflicting and incorrect advice from these two companies.  In this case therefore I just hand carried the seeds, and surrendered them upon arrival.

Now that you have read all this tedious text here is the payoff.  :D  I imported more seed of S. lorenzoniorum that I want for my personal propagation and I wish to distribute them more widely at no profit.  I will mail four packages of  5 seeds anywhere in the 48 contiguous states. Mauricio charged $2/seed so send me $10 plus $5 postage and handling for a total of $15 via PayPal.  My computer savvy wife advises me Not to put my actual email online, so here is the approximation;

daroldpetty    using the hosting service of           gmail.com 

Please send me a PM FIRST, do not send money unless I confirm that you are among the first four respondents.

If you are among the four recipients and all your seeds germinate, please consider to share with your palm buddies, so that we can most widely distribute this species.  ( The Lorenzi books states that " the seeds germinate with relative ease in 2-3 months")  

Please remember to include your name and mailing address in the PayPal box titled "Add a Note"        Good luck that you are among the first four respondents!  :greenthumb: 

• Upvote 2

I am happy to know that my seedswill be redistributed and helped in conservation of this rare and beautiful species . Good germination for all ..Thank you very much for your initiative Darold .

• Upvote 2

Caixeta

Two packets of five seeds still available, act now !!  :D

OK Shep, send the money !! :D ,  If you don't use PayPal, then send green cash in the snail mail.  Let me know now however, yes or no.

I only have a few packets left. 

• Upvote 1

Shep confirmed,... I now have just ONE packet of 5 seeds left !  Carpe Diem !  :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Seed distribution is finished, I am on the way to the post office this morning. Thanks to the respondents in my effort to more widely distribute this new species!  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

How is everyone's seeds going? This a great way to help preserve a species that may be threatened in its native habitat. Some purist might say it puts undue pressure on a species by seed collectors, and this may be true....but I think with some controls such as retaining enough seed in a native habitat....a number of seeds can be dispersed to provide a backup plan....kind of like a zoo for threatened animals. Kudo's to Darold for making such a large effort to distribute thsee seeds and Caixeta for collecting them.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I sent 5 to a friend, they all germinated promptly.  I kept 20 for myself and none have germinated.  I don't understand, I am now thinking of cold stratification in the refrigerator for a month long interval.  :huh:

I managed to sprout 6 out 15. I kept them in a baggie outdoors where they received full sun for a few hours of the day. The soil temperature must have reached over 100F at times. Lows at night would have been around 60F.

20181218_193008.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I sent 5 to a friend, they all germinated promptly.  I kept 20 for myself and none have germinated.  I don't understand, I am now thinking of cold stratification in the refrigerator for a month long interval.  :huh:

None of my germinated either, Darold. I checked the pot a few weeks ago and all had rotted away. It could be they aren't suited for my sweltering summers. I kept them outside in full sun. Heat and lots of rain over summer may have been the wrong germinating trick for these. Seeing as most people had some success, I assume the fault lies with me.

Meg

Florida

Just checked mine also and so far no sprouts. They've been outdoors in an unheated greenhouse and it's been fairly cold (lows in the 40s, highs in the greenhouse at about 80F when the sun hits it.) when I first placed them in the greenhouse, temperatures inside were regularly reaching 110F+.

I decided to bring them inside and give them bottom heat - trick them into thinking it's spring. fingers crossed! No sign of rot on any of my 5 seeds.