IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS PLANT! MANGAVE

The Silent Seed

Mangave Expresso, and other variegated Mangaves. such as Carnival, and others not available through Google. Manfreda as well. Any other Mangave / Manfreda enthusiasts here? 

Never new there were named Man Caves. Check Amazon Man Caves

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thank you Darold.

I have almost all of the varieties that PDN offers (which by the way can be found much cheaper elsewhere.) Nobody seems to have any Expresso, or Carnival which are the key varieties I'm hunting at the moment.

Thanks! 

I have mocha macho which is one of my favorite plants in the yard. They almost look like bromeliads. I have one blooming that I will experiment cross- pollination with using agave "sharkskin" and agave desmettiana variegata. 

Where do you find these? The only place I know of is PDN, and the occasional plant that shows up at specialty nurseries. 

Josue,

I'll be interested to hear if your Macho Mocha dies after flowering? Also, if it develops pups where the seed pods normally would develop? 

There are a bunch on Ebay, and google definitely is your friend in this case - I'm not sure we can name places here? If you would like to know more, PM me. 

Your experiments sound very interesting - especially with introducing some variegate genes. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty please - anybody - help me? They aren't available ANYWHERE that I can find. (Even from the source.) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm offering a reward for anyone who can help me find these - one or the other, or both. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

It's become personal…. I must find Mangave Espresso and Carnival!!! C'mon guys… how about a little challenge? :)

I pollinated my manfreda mint chocolate chip with parryi neomexicana but it didnt take... i was bummed. 

Darn! That would have been a cool one. Have you done other crosses? 

Does your Mint Choc Chip offset? I have one, and am wondering what to expect from it. 

UPDATE: I have tentatively found Espresso. Now on to "Carnival." Please :) 

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2018, 8:27:37, santoury said:

Josue,

I'll be interested to hear if your Macho Mocha dies after flowering? Also, if it develops pups where the seed pods normally would develop? 

There are a bunch on Ebay, and google definitely is your friend in this case - I'm not sure we can name places here? If you would like to know more, PM me. 

Your experiments sound very interesting - especially with introducing some variegate genes. 

Mocha didn't die after flowering. I cut the spent flower stalk and new pups developed at the base of the stalk. 

I just saw there is a new variety called Red Wing. I'm curious just how red the color is...

There are maybe 10 new ones every time I look! I actually got 8 new ones that I didn't have before, yesterday. How are yours doing? 

What did the mother plant do after you cut the stalk? Just continued to grow? 

The mother plant just kept forming new rosettes at the base of the stalk. Here's a picture to better show what I'm trying to say. You can see the spent stalk growing toward the left side. 

20180811_095339.thumb.jpg.a8f5a5bb169667

On 8/11/2018, 5:59:07, santoury said:

There are maybe 10 new ones every time I look! I actually got 8 new ones that I didn't have before, yesterday. How are yours doing? 

What did the mother plant do after you cut the stalk? Just continued to grow? 

That's a beauty! If I didn't know better, I'd say that looks like a new flower stalk starting… 

• Upvote 1