IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix reclinata - gender reveal

Josue Diaz

15 hours ago, Cikas said:

That will be very interesting cold hardy cross. 

There is however a minor interest in Phoenix hybrids compared to cocoid ones especially in Europe. Cocoid hybrids may be pickier in soil requirements in mediterranean climate, but those places in Europe are suitable for the most of the Phoenix spp, so no real reason for particular interest in Phoenix hybrids.  Further inland or further north, it is on the other hand to cold and wet for genus Phoenix but probably not so for cocoid hybrids.

• Upvote 1

I'm beginning to suspect that mine are not pure reclinata - no way of tracing the seed origin of these. They're getting very large. i suspect they have a lot of canariensis in them - though with thinner trunks. 

20190909_085059.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

I'm beginning to suspect that mine are not pure reclinata - no way of tracing the seed origin of these. They're getting very large. i suspect they have a lot of canariensis in them - though with thinner trunks. 

20190909_085059.jpg

Josue: Your front yard is looking very lush at the end of summer! Is that your P. rupicola on the right next to the bougainvillea? And your Jubaeopsis on the left?

27 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Josue: Your front yard is looking very lush at the end of summer! Is that your P. rupicola on the right next to the bougainvillea? And your Jubaeopsis on the left?

yes! i have mulched and watered religiously.  That rupicola grew up overnight it seems. One day i just noticed it arching overhead. It even flowered for the first time - it's a male.  

Here's the other side, mulched and planted pretty densely with grasses. I feel as though the grasses help shade the root zones and take minimal water. My bismarckia poking its head above the grass in the back. 

20190907_071348.thumb.jpg.31f6eafc96b9332d42975b36a54eb540.jpg

4 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

yes! i have mulched and watered religiously.  That rupicola grew up overnight it seems. One day i just noticed it arching overhead. It even flowered for the first time - it's a male.  

Here's the other side, mulched and planted pretty densely with grasses. I feel as though the grasses help shade the root zones and take minimal water. My bismarckia poking its head above the grass in the back. 

20190907_071348.thumb.jpg.31f6eafc96b9332d42975b36a54eb540.jpg

Very nice! Everything looks great in your yard. This is my fav time of year to enjoy the garden after the usu. scorcher of a summer in the interior.  But I really anticipate the rainy season so I don't have to drag a hose around every week! ;)

• 5 months later...

Another bump! I grow two seedlings from my own cross (reclinata x theophrasti). So far seeds had been quite big and a small part of them had sone kind of deformity. Those deformed seeds never germinated but rotted (I suspect lack of embryo). Now the two seedlings produced a chunky plumule and subsequent eophyll feels leathery but not as rigid as this of a theophrasti. What about your experience with same kind of hybrids on the other side of the ocean?

20200218_131104.thumb.jpg.3181ecd324cd8106fc0b8c0dc675d15f.jpg20200218_131125.thumb.jpg.8bcc1a3782fb3173d241c5e19cbb04ae.jpg