IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Early Start to the Rainy Season?

kinzyjr

~0.5 inches yesterday and probably a little more than that today.  All of the new plantings are going to love this!  Same with the coconuts! :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I was beginning to think today was going to be like yesterday and get very little rain. Late this afternoon the clouds opened pushed the total for today to 1.05". B)  

• Upvote 1

We are ranging from .3in to 1in per day the past week...

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

It is now official according to our Fort Myers News-Press: Rainy season started 5/15/18

Or, rather, the NWS designated May 15 as the start to FL rainy season, as duly reported by our revered local rag and bullet paper sycophant. Used to be rainy season didn't get fully underway until June 15.

I hope NWS notified Mother Nature.

This year I concur with this assessment as rain has fallen since last weekend.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I thought yesterday was going to break the streak of rainy days.  At ~11:30PM, the sky let loose and kept the streak alive.  Today there was no doubt about it.  ~1:00PM it started raining diagonally because of the wind.  The rain drops were as big as quarters.  Having this weather after planting a bunch of new stuff is definitely what the chiropractor ordered. :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Here I am having a drought for the last three weeks. Total for the month May so far, 0.04" No complaints yet.  

Edited by Palm crazy

The big days were tuesday at nearly 2in for the day and tomorrow will be 1.5in with everything before tue and in between being around .5+! No need to water my plants for a while lol.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Another day of solid rainfall.  We've exceeded our average for rainfall in May in this week alone.  The plants are just loving this!

Almost 5 inches of rain recorded this week.

20180520000_LakelandRainfall.png

The averages recorded at my location from www.weather.com:

201805192350_LakelandAverages.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing it rain from the time I woke up this morning until now, with more on the way, Lakeland will likely set a record for rainfall for the month of May:

http://www.theledger.com/news/20180530/17-days-of-downpours-may-2018-setting-rainfall-record-in-lakeland

Lakeland, FL

We got 3.8" of rain overnight. Much of the yard still has standing water even this late in the day (excess drains into the canal). The canal was up over the dock.

And it is raining again now.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I had 3.5" of rain overnight and the entire back yard was flooded. The last few weeks I have received 17.78" and the ground is saturated, and that is impressive being it is all sand!

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Let up here today. Looks like some drier air is heading our way.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Cloudy day, not hot, but it is S-W-E-L-T-E-R-I-N-G out there. Absolutely calm winds - another deluge in the offing?

Meg

Florida

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cloudy day, not hot, but it is S-W-E-L-T-E-R-I-N-G out there. Absolutely calm winds - another deluge in the offing?

For us, there is a deluge in progress.

Lakeland, FL

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

For us, there is a deluge in progress.

Got my fair share here too. B)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Way to go egging on the rain, guys.  My normal rainfall in May is 4.5 inches.  This month, we are at just about 14.5 inches.  Insane deluges over the past couple weeks.

This kind of weather is what spreads disease, especially in vegetable gardens.  I need to spray like crazy for my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons in this humidity, but the rain keeps washing everything away, making the efforts futile.  Come on, drought.  Drip irrigation cures the watering woes, and drought keeps the diseases away and the tomatoes from cracking.

We might actually have a day without rain today.  It's been sunny and hot all day.  I thought we might break the streak yesterday, but we got rain around 8pm.  Only a 20% chance of rain today, so the streak may stop at 19 days.

Lakeland, FL

On 5/31/2018, 11:04:08, Anthony_B said:

Way to go egging on the rain, guys.  My normal rainfall in May is 4.5 inches.  This month, we are at just about 14.5 inches.  Insane deluges over the past couple weeks.

This kind of weather is what spreads disease, especially in vegetable gardens.  I need to spray like crazy for my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons in this humidity, but the rain keeps washing everything away, making the efforts futile.  Come on, drought.  Drip irrigation cures the watering woes, and drought keeps the diseases away and the tomatoes from cracking.

Our may average is around 4 to 5in for may as well depending on where in the state you are and we go nearly 10 for the month. My yard has a couple of fungus brown spots and some plants I'm legitimately worried about....but just like you a fungicide would be futile!

Having grown up on family farms I won't cheer drought, but would love just a few days without torrential rain...

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

The last 4 or 5 days have been absolutely picturesque so I was able to spray before the weekend and again tonight.  My good old mix of neem, copper and baking soda.  Diseases are going to kick in soon.

Got almost 3" overnight after nothing for 8 days. It's scorching out there.

Meg

Florida

Is there a way to solidly tell when a Florida rainy season has begun (like, with say, the monsoons in India)? Because it seems quite relative.

Edited by AnTonY

• 2 weeks later...

The day when you live in the red spot on the radar map:

201806221130_LakelandRedSpot.png

Lakeland, FL

On 6/10/2018, 9:02:21, AnTonY said:

Is there a way to solidly tell when a Florida rainy season has begun (like, with say, the monsoons in India)? Because it seems quite relative.

Usually, they consider June 1st the official start of the rainy season here.  This year, it seems to have started between 2 and 4 weeks early in Central Florida, depending on location.

Lakeland, FL