IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Franken Brahea seeds

DoomsDave

Wow, it's Easter evening, and I sit, gazing at a HUGE amount of Brahea hybrid seeds, needing a home, and love.

Below is a picture of the parent. GORGEOUS, I think.(Pic below.) 10 M (30 feet) tall, 3.33 M (10 feet) across crown, about 2 - 3 feet (.6 - 1 M) across base of trunk (without leaf bases). This plant is awesome.

I've sent many seed before, and I'll send many more again. These will take heat, cold, and more water than most Braheas. What is not to love?

If you want seeds, FREE OF CHARGE send me a Private Message ("PM") with "Brahea seeds" in the topic, and your mailing address, and some seeds will be yours!

Happy (no, ECSTATIC) palm growing!

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.ec3193d84bb9430e370cd

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've seen this brahea in the flesh. It is a very beautiful palm. You want these seeds.

• Upvote 1

P.M. sent, beautiful palm.

I know this is off subject, but I always appreciate you knowledgeable opinion.

Still searching for Caryota gigas (obtusa), but did find C. Ruphiana. May be as close as I can get this year.

How is your C.maxima holding up. I know you said you weren't offering those seeds because of the fast growth and height, but I have found it to be a great potted indoor plant. Easy to care for and very impressive.

Just had all 10 red latan seeds germinate, the first is starting it's first leaf, hoping to keep that nice red, but time will tell, they are getting great sunlight.

Mark

27 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

P.M. sent, beautiful palm.

I know this is off subject, but I always appreciate you knowledgeable opinion.

Still searching for Caryota gigas (obtusa), but did find C. Ruphiana. May be as close as I can get this year.

How is your C.maxima holding up. I know you said you weren't offering those seeds because of the fast growth and height, but I have found it to be a great potted indoor plant. Easy to care for and very impressive.

Just had all 10 red latan seeds germinate, the first is starting it's first leaf, hoping to keep that nice red, but time will tell, they are getting great sunlight.

Mark

I run screaming at large Caryotas, but . . .

If I hear of any seed I'll let you know.

Get some C. mitis instead. They branch and they don't turn into [quite so enormous] monsters like their cousins. Or, even better, experiment with the tropical "zebrina" types with convict stripes . . . .

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for the great response, but I want to set a record.

I have TONNES and TONS of seeds, and it would KILL me to have to dump them.

The hermaphroditic mother plant is so magnificent.

If you've gotten some before, you're absolutely welcome to have more. If you want to Franken-Brahea-cize your corner of earth, maybe a large quantity can be arranged, if you pay shipping. (They're big seeds.)

No holds barred!

Molly bar to the door!

Dave,

Out of curiosity, do you know the parentage of your Franken Brahea? Or is it a Brahea species and the seeds are hybrid cross products.

Tough palm, but in Florida is it a palm of Doom? :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

@Moose We'll find out when the seeds get here ;)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/3/2018, 11:11:01, jimmyt said:

Dave,

Out of curiosity, do you know the parentage of your Franken Brahea? Or is it a Brahea species and the seeds are hybrid cross products.

I'm pretty sure it's a cross between B. armata and B. brandeegii. Don Hodel examined it and agrees with me, though it's not a slam-dunk guarantee.

I hear that Clara is also a similar cross, but I've got a B. Clara and it's different; much skinnier, with a far airier crown than the Monster.

The Monster does seem to have tolerance to water that other Braheas don't; Clara has similar tolerances, too.

• Upvote 1

Well, she is a beautiful one.  I hope she retains the cold-hardiness of the armata.  Thanks for the info.......

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'm not too concerned about what percentage of each that it is. The palm is beautiful and obviously very healthy. The shimmering blue silver of the foliage speaks for itself. Very well grown and maintained, only hope that eventually after germination mine looks equally as nice.

I understand some people are very picky about their plantings, there are specific things I look for, both in the palm world and other interests, but I am most appreciative about what I receive.

I thank Dave for being willing to share with the palm world, free seeds are a gift, he could list and sell them on e- bay or any number of other sites. Just he thinks if all of us first.

Thanks again Dave. Mark

Hi, pm sent.  Thank you.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Got my seeds today.  Cleaned them and getting them ready.  Thanks a lot @DoomsDave!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

@kinzyjr you’re welcome!

Everyone: don’t be shy!

I’ve got TWO jars like this, full of a couple thousand seed I think 

03328B2C-F54C-4036-8990-83C0B39DFDEA.thu

• Upvote 3

Cat not included . . . . .

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Cat not included . . . . .

I was looking through the envelope thinking something was missing...

• Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

Brandegeei is more cold tolerant than people give it credit for.  Leaf hardiness is better than a W. Robusta or L. Chilensis, and bud hardiness is better than a Washingtonia Robusta as well. I also think the 360 degree leaves are attractive as well.

• Upvote 4

There's plenty of seeds.

If you're in a place like Texas, southern Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Louisiana, Northern Florida, Crimea, Italy, southern France, Spain, anywhere in northern Africa, South Africa, India, maybe give some a try. They get a bit on the large side, but they're tough and heat and drought tolerant, as well as also tolerating moister climates.

Ask and ye shall receive! Send a PM.

• Upvote 2

Getting ready to send out the first round, likely Monday or Tuesday of next week.

If you want, ask, and I'll make it a double, i.e., two envelopes. The seeds are a bit on the large side, so not many fit in an envelope.

What are you waiting for? Christmas is still months away . . . .

I've been watching this, and waiting….. for the cat to become part of the deal! :)

I'll bite - thanks Dave. 

17 hours ago, santoury said:

I've been watching this, and waiting….. for the cat to become part of the deal! :)

I'll bite - thanks Dave. 

Cat stays, but send your address, the usual drill and I'll send you some seed.

On 4/14/2018, 8:23:11, santoury said:

Did that yesterday - thanks again! 

Could you re-send your address?

I'm getting ready to print up a whole mess of labels.

Seeds mailed out this morning in more than 40 envelopes. They're going to Croatia, Italy, Texas, California, Washington DC, Mississippi, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Arizona, Utah, Florida, Ohio, New York, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Canada, Spain, Colorado, Georgia (U.S. state), Australia and the Untied Kingdom.

The seeds have NOT been cleaned; they're mostly covered by this leathery husk, which might make them float. Soak all of them anyway (remove the husk if you must) for a few days, then plant them in well-drained soil ("cactus mix") about 8" (20 CM) deep, and keep warm, like 90 F (32 C). They may take a long while, like several months or more, to sprout.

Don't give up on them till they rot in the pot. If you have doubts, reach in with your fingers and give a squeeze; if they're still solid, they still might grow. They send down a taproot from which the leaves sprout. They'll be pretty fragile till they produce a few leaves.

Once they get about 6 leaves on them, their growth rate picks up a lot. Indoors up north, the more sun and heat the better. Outdoors, in the south, pretty much the same, though let them acclimatize a bit. If you're able to plant them outside, note how big they can get. My specimen is about 30 feet (10 M) tall in about 11 years. That one just misses the wires, thank heaven.

Let me know when you get them, and how they grow. We all love to coo over baby pictures!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got the seeds today. Just 6 days after my request. Hope i get some nice container plants tolerating some frost. Thank you Dave.

Seeds arrived yesterday with the speed of light!

Thank you very much Dave.

Regards,
Ondrej

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

On 4/22/2018, 4:02:25, frienduvafrond said:

Received my seeds yesterday. Much obliged DoomsDave!

You're welcome!

On 4/22/2018, 8:55:25, David York said:

They've arrived! :greenthumb:

That was fast!

On 4/23/2018, 3:44:39, southpacific73 said:

Seeds have arrived minus the cat. Damn it. Oh well  Thanks anyways Dave :D

She pees and poops all over, sheds like crazy, trust me you won on this one. She loves to eat palm leaves . . . .

15 hours ago, Subwoofer said:

Received mine today, but some managed to escape the letter :lol: thanks, me so happy :yay:

WHOA, PICTURE?

11 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Arrived! Soaking mode :)

Thank You Dave

Ante

All the envelopes, to share across the Dalmatian coast?

11 hours ago, KjellP said:

Got the seeds today. Just 6 days after my request. Hope i get some nice container plants tolerating some frost. Thank you Dave.

Yow, that was FAST

9 hours ago, Grasswing said:

Seeds arrived yesterday with the speed of light!

Thank you very much Dave.

Regards,
Ondrej

Well, not that fast, but wow, good.

Nota bene, germination will take a while. Not the speed of light.

• Upvote 3