IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia grows 6’ of trunk overnight

MattyB

Cut about 100 fronds off of my alba and prunifera and gained about 6’ of trunk instantly. 

5E819835-D7BC-4B31-864D-957CC6C45F6E.jpeg

• Upvote 10

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Helping the rats access the roof easier. You’re welcome rats. 

16DAD846-A386-4DFD-8290-036ACD771FC5.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Another still photograph 

F872BB28-19A5-4774-850E-75EEB9F5C273.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow, they look fantastic! Seriously, impressive palms, Copernicia no less.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

His alba rocks compared to my sad sack specimen 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The woof wats will be grateful for sure. No more armed petioles to circumnavigate, Copernicia escalators now. :D

That certainly took some time to have those beauties trimmed up esthetically perfect. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

Cut about 100 fronds off of my alba and prunifera and gained about 6’ of trunk instantly.

Nicely trimmed indeed!  To my amateur eyes those 2 look like the same palm - is the alba on the right?  I'm assuming that you planted them at the same time and roughly the same size.  I hope my alba looks like that some day!

Jon

Jon Sunder

I remember these palms in an older post. I have cut and pasted this photo from September 2014 for comparison.

Really nicely grown MattyB!!!!

Nice Matt.

I also did a bit of pruning myself. For us mackerel snappers, tomorrow is Palm Sunday and I took advantage of the haircut I gave, yes, I gave to the robusta and donated the leaves to my parish priest. No, I'm not worried. In three months time, the leaves will grow ad nauseaum. 

Yesterday:

Screenshot_2018_03_24_20_28_11.png
free pic hosting sites

Today

20180324_165123.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I forgot to add, staying on topic, the robusta grew 3-4 feet of trunk after the haircut..

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

13 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Nice Matt.

I also did a bit of pruning myself. For us mackerel snappers, tomorrow is Palm Sunday and I took advantage of the haircut I gave, yes, I gave to the robusta and donated the leaves to my parish priest. No, I'm not worried. In three months time, the leaves will grow ad nauseaum. 

Yesterday:

Screenshot_2018_03_24_20_28_11.png
free pic hosting sites

Today

20180324_165123.jpg

So for Palm Sunday you have provided your priest with some nice fronds, it looks like you are preparing to give him hearts of palm for Easter.

Back to the Copernicia's they look great Matty!  You have set a high bar for others growing these two species in So California.  I'm sure that after seeing yours some more folks may be tempted to give the a shot here.

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 3/24/2018, 1:47:45, MattyB said:

Another still photograph 

F872BB28-19A5-4774-850E-75EEB9F5C273.jpeg

Not bad....not bad at all!

How long in the ground to get this size for you?

On 3/24/2018, 8:52:26, Tracy said:

So for Palm Sunday you have provided your priest with some nice fronds, it looks like you are preparing to give him hearts of palm for Easter.

Back to the Copernicia's they look great Matty!  You have set a high bar for others growing these two species in So California.  I'm sure that after seeing yours some more folks may be tempted to give the a shot here.

Won't be for much longer. I can't continue to climb up a ladder to those heights in order to prune the  mature leaves. I do not want a rat/bat haven in our yard like many others aroind here have with their untrimmed washies... I will shortly be giving it the Kaput... I've always preferred self-cleaning palms. 

Fact is, the dragon fruit cactI will take advantage of the decapitated fan palm and employ it as a base. 

Personally, I dislike washies/fan palms...

Bismarkias & Copernicas are the exceptions.

Damn matt! I haven’t been to you place in about 6 months and those buggers look to have grown 6 feet! I guess your right about spreading human manure around. Which reminds me. I filled the 55 gallon drums you gave me. They’re ready for pick up now. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25