IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attacking my Dypsis plumosa

Tracy

As I turned the corner, I thought I saw a Cobra reared up in my Dypsis plumosa.... but it was green.  Now I have to decide whether to let it continue to grow in the palm, or cut it back, or possibly even move it elsewhere, so that it can grow into another plant.  My wife isn't a fan of the tentacles growing up against the house, so the decision may be done for me.

20180321-104A8881.jpg

20180321-104A8882.jpg

20180321-104A8883.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

What plant is this ?

I believe it is some species of epiphylum.  Neighbors of mine at work in Chula Vista had one growing for decades, and gifted me a rooted cutting from their plant.  Unfortunately they didn't know the name.  It is a night bloomer, with the blooms only lasting a couple of nights, and it closes up during the day.  I don't think I've ever photographed the flower, and now I can't even remember what color it is.  It has flower buds now, so I'll try to capture a bloom when it happens, as that will be my guide on which species.

• Upvote 1

I did a quick search and came up with some blooms on the parent plant to mine, in Chula Vista.  It was loaded with blossoms about to open in August of 2013 when I took this shot.  Unfortunately, I didn't stay until dark to capture any of the flowers opening.

20130822-IMG_7077 Epiphylum at Bill Leah Pack Chula Vista.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tracy,

Could it be Epiphyllum oxypetalum aka: Queen of the Night? Looks a lot like mine did before the sun here did a number on it. Probably the most commonly encountered Epi. sp. around.

If you have to move it, ( not sure I would, seems to like it's spot) you could put a trellis between it and the wall, and tie up the canes. As you know, cuttings are easy, if you choose to take some and plant elsewhere in the garden.  If you ( or your wife) hasn't yet smelled the flowers, you're in for a treat.. She might also decide to let you leave it where it is. :greenthumb:

11 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Could it be Epiphyllum oxypetalum aka: Queen of the Night? Looks a lot like mine did before the sun here did a number on it.

I'll have to look at the flower when it blooms to assess.  It very well could be E oxypetalum, but I just am not that knowledgeable about the genus to answer.  While I know it has bloomed since I have had it, I can't recall what it looked like or if I have photos, but this summer I will be diligent about getting out to snap a few at night... that's why I have a flash is for things like this. 

^^ I hear you Tracy, forgot to get pictures last summer when the Triangle Cactus ( Acanthocereus tetrogonus) out front flowered. The "other" Queen of the Night, Peniocereus greggii still has another year before I should expect flowers   ..After dark of course.

• 1 year later...

I never seem to make it out at night with the flash, but here is a flower partially open during daylight hours.  Lot's more blossoms coming too!

20190712-104A4156.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This is a cutting of the Epiphylum I had growing in another part of the garden previously.  I put it in a corner and basically forgot about it until it started climbing over my Pritchardia maideniana.  I had already woven in a Hoya, some Tillandsia and orchids on the Pritchardia.  I just should have gotten out a flash and captured it during the night instead of in the morning.

20220629-BH3I8110.jpg

20220629-BH3I8111.jpg

• Like 3

I went out at about 9pm last night and caught the action with a couple of the flowers wide open.  When I checked them just before 5am, they were already closed up, so a good 45 minutes before sunrise and I was too late to try again.

20220629-BH3I8117.jpg

20220629-BH3I8118.jpg

• Like 2