IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tall, vertical Saw Palmetto

Ubuntwo

Saw this when hiking through Myakka River State Park outside of Sarasota, a saw palmetto with a high, vertical trunk. I've seen plenty with a trunk going up maybe a few feet off the ground, but never as high or straight as this individual.

They have to be ancient. I've seen other photos of trunking saw palmettos in parks or conservation areas where there is no threat of development. Thanks for the habitat photo.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They have to be ancient. I've seen other photos of trunking saw palmettos in parks or conservation areas where there is no threat of development. Thanks for the habitat photo.

Hundreds of years old. Sandy soil, little natural nutrients

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Are you sure you didn't just find wild Acoelorraphe wrightii? I found one clump with and an individual 20ft tall growing naturally in South Pinellas. Does Acoelorraphe wrightii's native range go farther North than than current sources say?

On a side note, it would be pretty interesting if we have found a rare 'cultivar' of Serenoa repens.

On 3/21/2018, 5:00:33, Ubuntwo said:

Saw this when hiking through Myakka River State Park outside of Sarasota, a saw palmetto with a high, vertical trunk. I've seen plenty with a trunk going up maybe a few feet off the ground, but never as high or straight as this individual.

I found these Serenoa repens growing several miles from my house back in 2002. They were growing between a lake and orange grove, and so they were basically obscured. The orange grove was removed and a lakeside gated housing community was started. I discovered these palms when I drove into the development, looking at vacant lots for sale.  http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Serenoa_repens_(2)

Mad about palms

• 3 weeks later...

Found a bunch of tall Saw Palmettos in Sandestin. They’re everywhere around here but these are the tallest I’ve seen.

Some of these have an overall height around 15 feet with 8-9 feet of trunk. 

EBCDBB44-E6D4-4096-84F5-0991F1745685.jpeg

F5772257-5709-4DFD-B004-083B99E22823.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2018, 8:21:02, Palmsbro said:

Are you sure you didn't just find wild Acoelorraphe wrightii? I found one clump with and an individual 20ft tall growing naturally in South Pinellas. Does Acoelorraphe wrightii's native range go farther North than than current sources say?

I wasn't seeing the photos before, so I now stand corrected about these not being Serenoa repens.

I have never seen Serenoa repens that tall before!