IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Allagoptera leucocalyx

caixeta

Allagoptera leucocalyx under eucalyptus plantation , near Pedra Chapéu do Sol , Cristalina , Goiás.5ab1410e74899_Cristalina-Gois078.thumb.J5ab141cd0f2d8_Cristalina-Gois079.thumb.J5ab142360af38_Cristalina-Gois080.thumb.J5ab142e800fb0_Cristalina-Gois088.thumb.J

• Upvote 8

Caixeta

Great pictures as always. Thanks for sharing. That A. leucocalyx is a really neat little palm. Much slower to go pinnate in my experience. Your closeup shots really show the difference between that & arenaria.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

19 hours ago, caixeta said:

Rock inscriptions about 2 million years old.5ab14b0eb6980_Cristalina-Gois058.thumb.J5ab14b5cc41f2_Cristalina-Gois059.thumb.J5ab14bb0adbf4_Cristalina-Gois060.thumb.J

2 million is a bit too much?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

@caixeta, those A. luecocalyx are almost as nice as mine! Except they undoubtedly set viable seed!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Had  this one from a seedling given to me in the UK about  5  years ago, they grow quite  quickly  here and produce  masses of  seed  regularly but they never  seem to mature

20180323_131607.jpg

20180323_131637.jpg

20180323_131649.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 3/21/2018, 11:08:13, Firepalm said:

Great pics, thanks for sharing.  Looks like it would make a great understory palm in cultivation.

Mines in full THAILAND  sun it  doesnt need to be an  understory at all

• Upvote 1

Maybe if you only have 1 palm you need to save the pollen, because i recieved very good seeds and this seems to be a common problem with people who only have 1 palm

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2018 14:58:23, caixeta said:

Rock inscriptions about 2 million years old.5ab14b0eb6980_Cristalina-Gois058.thumb.J5ab14b5cc41f2_Cristalina-Gois059.thumb.J5ab14bb0adbf4_Cristalina-Gois060.thumb.J

Probably 12 thousand year old

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thanks for sharing this photos. This palm is also native here in the campos vegetation of south Paraná

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

On 23/03/2018 03:05:09, Tingtongthai said:

Had  this one from a seedling given to me in the UK about  5  years ago, they grow quite  quickly  here and produce  masses of  seed  regularly but they never  seem to mature

20180323_131607.jpg

20180323_131637.jpg

20180323_131649.jpg

Thanks for sharing this photos. This palm is also native here in the campos vegetation of south Paraná

Paul do you know the sourceof the seed/

Here’s my biggest about 1.3 M 4 feet tall overall.

Love these things! Much superior to arenarum; nice petite size, pretty color, and doesn’t get The Nasties.

9D806878-01B0-4F8C-96BA-E1CE3FDD1DAC.thu06278003-AA25-4A11-8B69-ACA20F211112.thu1A957708-CD42-4852-B0AB-83B171B3877A.thu

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/2/2018, 7:08:38, Alberto said:

Paul do you know the sourceof the seed/

Yes well sort of and youd  have to ask him, DAVE ISON in the Uk hes  on the eps  forum I think you know  him

Oooh, I like those.  Are they as cold hardy as A arenaria?  How about growing in sand?  We have lots of sand and sun here, always looking for plants that like those conditions.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.