IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota ochlandra- Chinese Fishtail Palm

Eric in Orlando

Here is the largest Caryota ochlandra here at Leu Gardens. It was planted in 2007. It was a big 1 gallon sized specimen, grown from seed in 2006. It is growing adjacent to the main parking lot at the edge of the Tropical Stream Garden. No cold damage from the past winter, we had a low of 28F one night this past Jan. It was a windy freeze. Nearby Roystonea elata were burned. There are some 30ft Archontophoenix cunninghamiana next to the Caryota with some slight burn. Previous specimens of Caryota ochlandra here at Leu Gardens have grown for about 15 years and reached 40-50ft tall before they began flowering. I wished they stayed right at this size, its a great looking palm with a prehistoric look.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

@Eric in Orlando, your "Ochies" look just like mine. One of them is now going to seed.

They're so much nicer than C. urens; prettier coloring, nicer leaves, and, most important, they don't turn into the Monster that Ate Guada La Habra. (Or, Orlando.) Instead of 70 - 100 feet (23 - 32 M) tall, and 18 - 24" (45 - 60 CM) across the trunk like urens, ochies are about half that size. Not small, but manageable. Instead of a Great Dane or Mastiff, a nice, big German Shepherd or Golden Retriever.

I'm going to save the seeds if I get the chance. (Urens will be castrated, then felled.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Anyway to tell the difference in a young one wether it is urens or ochlandra ? Mine is 10 foot tall or so 

Cool palm, thanks for sharing Eric!  I'm surprised to see the A cunninghamiana had damage from this winter, is it an Illawarra?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

15 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Cool palm, thanks for sharing Eric!  I'm surprised to see the A cunninghamiana had damage from this winter, is it an Illawarra?

It is just plain A. cunninghamiana. It is open to the north so they got the brunt of the cold winds. We have a couple dozen others and none of them had any damage. The Illawarra form isn't really any hardier. In fact in past freezes we had an Illawarra form next to "regular" A. cunninghamiana. The Illawarra form had no damage while the other was burned. This was during the cold winter of 1995-96 when there were several nights below freezing (29-32F) in Dec and Jan and culminating with a low of 26F in Feb.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great to see something different, to my eyes - at least. Thanks for sharing!!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I love these palms but have never been able to find one. I only ever see the C mitis (a clumper...ugh) on sale here.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s mine from the other side of the house.

I took the double shot to see if there's a difference between HDR pictures and "regular." Regular is on top, HDR is below.

383DF36B-7532-45AA-8D3B-870D26CDF90D.thu017994AE-BEF3-43BF-8D95-A365C038F899.thu

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 3/19/2018, 4:58:07, JubaeaMan138 said:

Anyway to tell the difference in a young one whether it is urens or ochlandra ?

Good question.  I'm hoping you get a response, because I'm interested in the responses as well.  If anyone can answer, please do.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 3/19/2018, 4:58:07, JubaeaMan138 said:

Anyway to tell the difference in a young one wether it is urens or ochlandra ? Mine is 10 foot tall or so 

46 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Good question.  I'm hoping you get a response, because I'm interested in the responses as well.  If anyone can answer, please do.

They're hard to tell when young; it's easiest when you have both side by side for comparison. Urens get a lot taller, a lot faster, and they don't develop that white fuzz, though I'm not sure when it turns up on the ochies. Ochies also have a droopier "closer" leaf, i.e., leaflets are closer together.

• Upvote 1

Hmm ok I will have to take a closer look at mine I believe mine has that white fuzz already. We are talking the fuzz around the boot or trunk area?

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Caryotas guys, going to have to search that one out. I contacted RPS for the C.obtusa, courtesy of Josh76 and Texas Cold Hardy Palms, who were kind enough to let me know that they had received word on fresh seeds.  Thank you to everyone that offered assistance and was watching for me. 

Now I will be watching for the C.ochlandra seeds. Something about the fishtails. I like the Snakeskin and the Zebra but those seeds are practically impossible to find.

Currently waiting patiently for the C.rumphiana to germinate, 24 seeds. By time I'm finished, if ever, I will have a forest of Caryota growing throughout my house. Something about them for me. Just a shame that after seeding they meet a slow demise.

Mark

• 1 year later...

I have been growing Caryota ochlandra for over 20 years in the ground here in Brea, CA. it's a great species. I have three of them; the largest has been flowering for over 10 years so I don't know if they are truly monocarpic but the inflorescences keep forming lower on the stem. Also, the second largest plant started flowering over a year ago and now I have ripe seeds for the first time on the plant that has flowered for over 10 years. My three plants are in close proximity- less than seven feet apart.

One note--the powers that be at theplantlist.org lump C. ochlandra into C. urens. I haven't researched the source of this lumping yet. 

• 2 months later...

Finally decided today to 'liberate' my C. ochlandra (at least that's what it was labeled) from the pot it's been in for years and put it in the ground.  It will get some overstory shade in the afternoon in this new location. The rocks at the base are to deter squirrels and scrub jays. I bought this palm at least ten years ago as a tiny strap-leaf seedling from a going-out-of-business palm grower in SoCal. It's done well here and handles low temps without a problem. Haven't seen much "white fuzz" on the petioles.

CaryotaOchlandra2020spring.png

CaryotaOchlandra2.png

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

My Caryota ochlandra (although I suspect it may actually be C. urens) is putting out a new leaf this spring. It gets scorched the hottest time of the year, but I'm hoping  the Handroanthus beside it is now big enough to provide shade to avoid the worst effects of the summer sun here in interior NorCal. https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Caryota_ochlandra

20230502_125240.jpg

• Like 2

I can see the white fuzz mentioned, so I wonder what this black fuzz is on my caryota that I grew  for 20 years as ochlandra?

20230505_142249.jpg

40 minutes ago, Tomas said:

I can see the white fuzz mentioned, so I wonder what this black fuzz is on my caryota that I grew  for 20 years as ochlandra?

20230505_142249.jpg

If it does not yellow up easily in your Mediterranean garden, then it must be ochlandra lol

59 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

If it does not yellow up easily in your Mediterranean garden, then it must be ochlandra lol

It does Yellow up easily indeed😁

• 9 months later...

Just got a new batch of 10 seeds today from Fl that were sold as C. ochlandra. They all sunk in water, so that's a good sign. Now to see what develops over the next few months (and years).

Caryota_ochlandraSeeds.png

• Like 1