IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice Trachycarpus and Butia in upstate SC

Brad Mondel

This Trachycarpus is HUGE and survived an extremely cold winter this year FF8AF9AA-411B-428E-ACCF-73A34C4A091B.thu2F76D811-EB61-4A29-8762-51B1E515A7BD.thu(14F). The Butia survived also but has some damage. 

Edited by Brad Mondel
  • Upvote 5

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Always nice to look at the palms in Mauldin.

Glad to see the Butia is still doing well after the January cold. Most of the mature ones I've seen in the upstate seem to have survived. 

Yes the largest Butias seem to have made it but the small Butias are toast. Trachycarpus love the upstate! Seedlings to adults survived this past winter without any problems. 

• 2 months later...

Looks to have recovered it just needs some pruning to the older fronds. Any idea how long it has been planted there or how old it is? One of the biggest Butia I've seen in the area. 

IMAG0732.jpg

IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

Edited by Ninja88
  • Upvote 2

Not too sure on age. But it seems to have a good microclimate with all of the concrete. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this nice mature Trachycarpus at the nearby Botanical Gardens. Surprisingly all the older fronds are still green and cover the entire tree.

IMAG0767.jpg

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a collection of some Butia of the upstate SC area. All known mature specimens have survived with varying degrees of cold damage on older fronds. Most of these are planted facing North or West. All the pictures are from this month. 

IMAG0947.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Which restuarant location is that? 

2 plantings at a Seafood & Oyster House and one planting at a Red Lobster. 

I heard that an established Sabal palmetto could survive everywhere in SC except for the little area where the mountains are. Does anyone know of this is true? I have seen Sabal palmetto (healthy looking ones) in Greenville before. 

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I heard that an established Sabal palmetto could survive everywhere in SC except for the little area where the mountains are. Does anyone know of this is true? I have seen Sabal palmetto (healthy looking ones) in Greenville before. 

Yes, I would think so. I have seen many mature ones being planted here as of late. A big grouping were recently planted at the entrance of South Carolina Botanical Gardens in Clemson. I don't think the botanists there would have invested that much money into them if they thought they couldn't survive. 

Palmettos can survive here just fine if they're properly cared for. 

• Upvote 1

I love it when Trachys get old and tall. They look so good!  They remind my of Washingtonia Robusta quite a lot.  You see them that large quite often in Va Beach along with some gorgeous Sabal Palmetto.    The most shocking thing to me was to see these planted even down here in zone 10A.   I have even seen them in Fort Luaderdale and Miami of all places!  

• Upvote 2

I bought this 15g Butia from ChillyPalms and planted it back in late April. Has had some nice growth in the past 2 months. We had some great growing weather this Spring. Hot temperatures but also frequent rain and thunderstorms.5b3fc9fff35ad_IMAG09852.thumb.jpg.529698

IMAG0231~2.jpg

• Upvote 3

I was driving around town and found 2 more butia planted among many trachycarpus fortunei and a few Sabal palmettos. Most of the Holiday Inns around here like to plant various palms. 

IMAG0996.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was driving home from Greenville today and was surprised to see this huge mature butia in Mauldin. I didn't get to take a picture of it but it's even bigger now than this street view picture. 

Have you seen this one Brad or do any people in the upstate know how long it's been there? 

Screenshot_20180926-200235.png

• Upvote 1

I've never seen that one! It's the nicest one in the area so far. I wonder if they protect it or anything?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It has been there for 10+ years. I don't know how big it was when first planted but The earliest Google Street view image is from February 2008 and it was at least 6 or 7 feet tall back then. I don't think it's been protected especially at its current size. It's must have seen some very low temperatures over the years. 

• Upvote 1