IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oh no! I haven't finished yet.

Pip

Hello everyone, I've been fairly quiet on this forum for a while now due to being busy in  my new job, I haven't had much spare time to spend in my garden. Any one who takes notice of my posts would be aware I have a few show dogs. I now have three Borzoi who love nothing more than to gallop around our back yard. This is a problem as their galloping isn't very compatible with establishing plants, I've lost a few plams. We have decided that we have out grown our current property and have made an offer (that has been accepted) on a small farm a few kilometers away. The farm has boarding kennels so there is plenty of room our dogs and huge amount of space for me to plant. I have decided that I can't leave behind my Jubaea that was the first palm I planted in my current garden. It is coming with me because I fear that when it finally trunks the conopy will be touch to close to the overhead powerlines. 

20180315_175007.thumb.jpg.13fd28c08771c9

The other palm I'll dig up is my very slow growing Dypsis ambrositrae 

20180315_175050.thumb.jpg.937700d3e06251

As exciting as the prospect of creating a new garden is I'm a little sad as my current garden is far from being finished. I will be saying good bye to the Dypsis decaryi I inherited from my grandmothers garden. After three summers the D.decaryi looks like it has settled in well now I just don't want to put it through the stress of moving again.

20180315_175217.thumb.jpg.3e1a4888c67c87

• Upvote 9

It doesn't look settled to me, the next mob will probably just rip it out.

You don't want to distress the decaryi, do you forget how big that golden cane was when you moved it? 

And remember the enjoyment that you got from that adventure?

I am assuming that it was mostly beer and skittles. I would take everything that I could.

I really don't know but it looks like it might be tough. :) 

Developing a new place is as much fun as hard work (if you are doing it right)

Congratulations!

And don't look back.

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Your probably right Steve but if anyone tries to remove that golden cane they will most likely damage the swimming pool pipework. I have a good collection of potted palms that I never planted out because of the dogs. The realestate agent seems to think the garden I have created at this point is a positive selling point, although a little unique for the neighbourhood it is uncharted territory for them.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful pups!

I'd be very tempted to take that triangle palm with me considering it came from your grandmother's house. Might put it through some stress, but people dig up and move palms all the time. 

• Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

17 hours ago, Pip said:

Hello everyone, I've been fairly quiet on this forum for a while now due to being busy in  my new job, I haven't had much spare time to spend in my garden. Any one who takes notice of my posts would be aware I have a few show dogs. I now have three Borzoi who love nothing more than to gallop around our back yard. This is a problem as their galloping isn't very compatible with establishing plants, I've lost a few plams. We have decided that we have out grown our current property and have made an offer (that has been accepted) on a small farm a few kilometers away. The farm has boarding kennels so there is plenty of room our dogs and huge amount of space for me to plant. I have decided that I can't leave behind my Jubaea that was the first palm I planted in my current garden. It is coming with me because I fear that when it finally trunks the conopy will be touch to close to the overhead powerlines. 

The other palm I'll dig up is my very slow growing Dypsis ambrositrae 

As exciting as the prospect of creating a new garden is I'm a little sad as my current garden is far from being finished. I will be saying good bye to the Dypsis decaryi I inherited from my grandmothers garden. After three summers the D.decaryi looks like it has settled in well now I just don't want to put it through the stress of moving again.

Congrats on the new property, @Pip .  The dogs are awesome as well.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

23 hours ago, Pip said:

Ok here are a few pics of the dogs

Stunning! My mom has an Afghan hound and she is UBER sensitive. The look in the eyes of your beauties reminds me of that sensitive soul. Dear Lord does she tear up the ground when she runs, though!

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I took a few screen shots of the new property to give an idea of the size and scope of oour new project. The photos might give an idea about the climate too.

Screenshot_20180316-230244.jpg.332571461Screenshot_20180316-230333.jpg.e39665aebScreenshot_20180316-230401.jpg.734c7c8d5Screenshot_20180316-230432.jpg.860133492Screenshot_20180316-230635.jpg.f4b30ee24Screenshot_20180316-230604.jpg.3890142b0Screenshot_20180316-230538.jpg.d13884408

• Upvote 8

When I was about 12, I was playing golf in the rain on a desolate area of the course. All by myself, I saw what appeared to be a very large and wet animal hightailing it directly at me. Scared to death, it was clear that this apparent wild animal was coming for me! He jumped me and started licking me. The first Afghan I had ever seen! Greatest dog in the world!

• Upvote 3

What you look for is what is looking

18 minutes ago, Pip said:

I took a few screen shots of the new property to give an idea of the size and scope of oour new project. The photos might give an idea about the climate too.

I don't know much about Australian climates, but that is one incredibly stunning property! Sorry to sound cliche, but I can picture mobs of kangaroos high-tailing it through those clearings and flocks of noisy cockatoos swarming from tree to tree! :wub:

17 minutes ago, bubba said:

When I was about 12, I was playing golf in the rain on a desolate area of the course. All by myself, I saw what appeared to be a very large and wet animal hightailing it directly at me. Scared to death, it was clear that this apparent wild animal was coming for me! He jumped me and started licking me. The first Afghan I had ever seen! Greatest dog in the world!

They really are just the sweetest goofs!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Wow, how exciting for you and for the dogs! What an incredible property. You have many years of happy palm growing ahead of you. Congratulations!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow that is a gorgeous property. I love Australia, I just haven't been there haha. You guys have the best native fauna and some of the most gorgeous landscapes.

So much land to do so much with. In south Florida you're lucky if your $400,000 + house has 2 acres to work with haha.

• Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Congratulations!

Your sighthounds will have plenty of space inside and out and you will enjoy planting many new trees! Enjoy and keep the photos coming.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Here is a happy snap taken by one of the professional photographers at last Saturday's dog show. I was just trying to keep my 7 month old (Dr Zachary Smith) calm before his turn out in the ring I had no idea there was a camera watching.

FB_IMG_1521377797166.jpg.4e74b8c5f862019

• Upvote 6

On March 16, 2018 at 5:46:02 AM, Pip said:

Screenshot_20180316-230244.jpg.332571461Screenshot_20180316-230333.jpg.e39665aebScreenshot_20180316-230401.jpg.734c7c8d5Screenshot_20180316-230432.jpg.860133492Screenshot_20180316-230635.jpg.f4b30ee24Screenshot_20180316-230604.jpg.3890142b0Screenshot_20180316-230538.jpg.d13884408

Very cool house and property. Only been to Broome myself. My next house will have outdoor showers.

• Upvote 2

Looks like I need to plan a second trip to Australia, beautifull property you bought!
Something like that would cost a fortune over here!

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Upvote 2

Southwest

On 3/15/2018, 1:58:31, Pip said:

We have decided that we have out grown our current property and have made an offer (that has been accepted) on a small farm a few kilometers away.

Looking at the photos of your new home, it will be hard to run out of planting space!  You can focus on one area at a time, and like you said, plenty of room for the dogs to romp around as well.  The Dypsis decaryi is a dilemma as to whether to take it.  On the one hand, they are speedy growers (although I don't know how available they are in your area).  The other side is the sentimental value of the plant, coming from your grandmother's garden.  I can understand that with all the other things you will be dealing with (selling the current house, packing and moving) that digging a large plant to move it, may not fit into the schedule.  Wishing you well on this new adventure though.  It will be interesting to see your posts as you start adding your personal touches to the farms flora! 

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 3 weeks later...

Today I started digging out the few palms I have in the ground that I definitely want to take with me to plant in the new garden. I first started with my very slow growing Dypsis ambositrae.

20180406_084856.thumb.jpg.8a411e844c304d

20180406_085546.thumb.jpg.3ea9ec51549260

Once the Dypsis was potted up I moved on to the Parajubaea torallyi var. microcarpa

20180406_092730.thumb.jpg.5472251bf66095

20180406_092846.thumb.jpg.91451d0604806e

20180406_094040.thumb.jpg.bfcc28c7acc7bb

Recovering in the shade. Next will be my Jubaea that has been in the ground for almost eight years I need to get some more potting compost before I begin the dig.

• Upvote 3

Whoa @Pip you have been busy!

Want some seeds? Now you have room to grow plants!

Great house, plenty of room for the doggies to run. I live right down the street from a greyhound rescue.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Even though I've  been regularly watering this area of my garden the soil is bone dry and hard. I'm almost ready to shovel all that soil back and leave the Jubaea where it is.

20180406_122933.thumb.jpg.8e045c8f366699

20180406_123008.thumb.jpg.c1bbc84cb4d0cf

20180406_132222.thumb.jpg.31db47be79e919

20180406_141422.thumb.jpg.cd06021dacb221

• Upvote 4

Finally I heard that familiar "crack" sound of the last  root being sliced through.

20180406_145348.thumb.jpg.741556a75fd2b8

And into a giant pot to recover until I finally decide where to plant it.

20180406_150317.thumb.jpg.9df8ab2000cf92

• Upvote 5

Pip,

How big is the new place? How much water do you have access to? Is it in an area that might get frost? Looks good!

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

1 hour ago, Bennz said:

Pip,

How big is the new place? How much water do you have access to? Is it in an area that might get frost? Looks good!

Hi Benz, the new place is about 17 acres with a seasonal creek (winter usually) a spring fed dam, a bore, rainwater tanks but no mains water. The previous owner's puppies destroyed the irrigation all the plants you can see only have only what falls from the sky. There are so many little jobs to do around the property I'll be kept busy till I die (if I take after my grandparents I've got at least another 50 years) fixing the irrigation is high on that list. The property is really close to a commercial logging plantation so the natural rainfall is higher than most areas of Adelaide but still has a long dry period. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2018, 6:03:13, Pip said:

Here is a happy snap taken by one of the professional photographers at last Saturday's dog show. I was just trying to keep my 7 month old (Dr Zachary Smith) calm before his turn out in the ring I had no idea there was a camera watching.

FB_IMG_1521377797166.jpg.4e74b8c5f862019

Forget the palms, that is one majestic looking pooch there!

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎45‎:‎36‎, chad2468emr said:

Wow that is a gorgeous property. I love Australia, I just haven't been there haha. You guys have the best native fauna and some of the most gorgeous landscapes.

So much land to do so much with. In south Florida you're lucky if your $400,000 + house has 2 acres to work with haha.

Where? You couldn't buy my 1/4 acre with that low number

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Show dogs, Show palms, 17 acres  and show cats too!  Man you have it all.

Pip, Looking at those aerial shots makes Lizzy and I want to go through another of our repeated pattern

of getting itchy feet for another bigger place out of town away from people,

finding some suitable places, then getting cold feet and staying put.  

I look forward to the time when I hear that  ' "crack" sound of the last  root being sliced through" and we are free to move on again too.

(Or maybe we should just wear thick socks.)

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Okay so rub it in that I live in a pokey little slummy hovel with a pissy little yard and even after 25 years of searching (plotting, offering perverted acts etc) I have never been able to get hold a parajubaea of any variety. And you chose a house with split levels so I can't even get free accommodation if I am in town...... you could have at least found something with wheelie access. Totie Goldberg, my morbidly obese pekingese can do more garden damage all by herself than 3 borzois and a bloodhound thrown in for good measure so she might come and visit you one day for a week or two.

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

5 hours ago, peachy said:

Okay so rub it in that I live in a pokey little slummy hovel with a pissy little yard and even after 25 years of searching (plotting, offering perverted acts etc) I have never been able to get hold a parajubaea of any variety. And you chose a house with split levels so I can't even get free accommodation if I am in town...... you could have at least found something with wheelie access. Totie Goldberg, my morbidly obese pekingese can do more garden damage all by herself than 3 borzois and a bloodhound thrown in for good measure so she might come and visit you one day for a week or two.

Sorry Peachy, if Totie Goldberg ever visits she will be confined to one of the twenty boarding kennels. I think I'll be kept busy fighting the local mob of kangaroos from eating my collection of palms. There are a huge number of them in the area due to the proximity of the scrub.

• Upvote 2

Pip, sweetie,lamb, darling, precious...there'll be no room for Totie or even my man eating chihuahuas in your kennels till you have enough paying guests to  replace that hidieous

carpet in front of the fireplace and get some divine Eames furniture to match the lovely mid century modern room.

Edited by peachy
misspelled word

27.35 south.

2 hours ago, peachy said:

Pip, sweetie,lamb, darling, precious...there'll be no room for Totie or even my man eating chihuahuas in your kennels till you have enough paying guests to  replace that hidieous

carpet in front of the fireplace and get some divine Eames furniture to match the lovely mid century modern room.

HAHAHAHAHA! Yes I know that carpet hurts my eyes too. I think we will be far to busy getting the property ship shape that we will be so tired that I won't actually see that carpet very often.

Peachy, nice to see you posting again !!  Please consider sharing a better photo of that beautiful beast in your avatar pic !!!!!

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Hi Pip !
Do I even need to comment this ?! :bemused:
Screenshot_20180316-230432.jpg.860133492

The landscape looks fantastic, and with that much space, even if the grass disappears in summer that doesn't really matter, the forest garden will just look beautiful !

(Btw, I ckecked Adelaide's wiki page, we happen to basically have the exact same climate ! :))

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Peachy, nice to see you posting again !!  Please consider sharing a better photo of that beautiful beast in your avatar pic !!!!!

Which beast Darold, Dr Watson or the fancy shmansy wheel chair or moi ?

27.35 south.

Dr. Watson, I presume ...:rolleyes:

How can we steer this back to Pip's house move ?

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

We are busy moving anything that is not required out of our current house to get it ready for sale my shade house now looks like this.

15232452083571612040792.thumb.jpg.86dfd2

And a partial view of my now old garden.

1523245303780480229545.thumb.jpg.8966480

1523245345238393232385.thumb.jpg.402debe

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Update. After two opens and one private viewing our house is sold. We move house in just over a month. Then the real work will begin due to the back log of maintenance.

• Upvote 3