IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Closest I can grow to coryphia.

Stevetoad

I’m still not sure if this is sabal causiarum or domingensis. There seems to be some confusion on which one has liguels. But none the less I love this huge Sabal. It’s finally going vertical after walking about 5 feet from its original planting spot. I planted it 7 years ago for my son (the monkey in it). It’s been a blast watching them both grow. Today he said “ I want to climb my palm” so up he went. 

D0E290C3-283F-40BA-8388-A6C5CACC451A.jpeg

• Upvote 25

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

26 minutes ago, Moose said:

Nice  Sabal causiarum  :wub:

How can you tell? It’s never even tried to flower so I can’t use that. You guys see way more Sabals than we do so I would really appreciate your input. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

prominant ligule  remnants suggest  S. causiarum ------ not as pronounced in  S. domingensis -----  If the seeds are huge and pear shaped than its S. domingensis .     S. causiarum has venation on leaf undersides 

Wow Steve, that's s monster. (Having raised two sons, I can say that he'll ultimately be well worth the effort!) Seriously, they both look happy & well grown.. That palm is huge!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

12 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

D0E290C3-283F-40BA-8388-A6C5CACC451A.jpeg

Beautiful and well taken care off,I meant the Giant palm..:drool::yay: And Great to see kids taking time to play in that palm garden.Nice Visual.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

3 orders of branching on inflorescence and small round 7-10mm fruits and its a causiarum according to Scott Zona's monograph.  Great looking palm!.  Look at the trunk on that fatty!  I'd guess causiarum on that trunk thickness.  I know its subjective, but the causiarum are supposed to have somewhat heavier petioles and thicker trunks.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Beautiful! How much has it grown in the last 7 years? 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

7 hours ago, Monòver said:

Son or Sabal?:P

OMG! :blink: SABAL CAUSIARUM!! :floor: It's the CHILDFREE life for this gal! ^_^ If I had a kid it'd take time and attention away from my animals and plants and we can't have that, now can we! :crying::lol:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

PS, I ordered 2 nice size S. causiarum seedlings this afternoon shortly after I saw this thread. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

19 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

How can you tell? It’s never even tried to flower so I can’t use that. You guys see way more Sabals than we do so I would really appreciate your input. 

Tom is correct about how to truly ID this palm. I have Sabal dominguensis growing here in the Moose Land with 4 ranks of branching. I based my ID on the girth of your trunk. Growing in Florida, fertilized, heavily mulched, averaging 58 inches of rain per year, it ain't nearly as fat as yours. Yours has to be S causiarum, or a mutant Sabal from Hell. :evil:

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

14 hours ago, Moose said:

Tom is correct about how to truly ID this palm. I have Sabal dominguensis growing here in the Moose Land with 4 ranks of branching. I based my ID on the girth of your trunk. Growing in Florida, fertilized, heavily mulched, averaging 58 inches of rain per year, it ain't nearly as fat as yours. Yours has to be S causiarum, or a mutant Sabal from Hell. :evil:

thank you! It could be the mutant from hell as it has destroyed one wall already. One day it will flower and I will know for sure but I sure you guys are right and it is causiarum.  

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

20 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Beautiful! How much has it grown in the last 7 years? 

This much. It was a 15 gallon when I planted it. 

4D029787-3FCA-4067-A432-0A57A1177D0E.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Wow! That is absolutely amazing that it grew that much. Very interesting! 

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I had what I thought was domingensis(nursery ID), and I thought that until the trunk started to thicken massively to 40"+ at the base with only 2-3' of trunk.  The next year it set seed and the orders of branching at 3 and fruit size(7-10mm round) gave the definitive ID as causiarum.   

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Just wanted to add that this thread inspired me to start growing both s. causarium and c. umbraculifera. I’ve got some causarium seeds on the way via mail and an umbraculifera seedling as well. It’ll be a long time before I’ve got anything impressive, but I’m looking forward to watching them both grow! 

Edited by chad2468emr