IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My indoor microclimate

Rickybobby

So I’ve gone to the level with my hobby 

I have an oil radiator with the room around 75 degrees relative humidity is around 55 percent and my lumens gauge has the cold hardy palms right on the money in between natural light coming in from the west

just thought I’d show my setup 

8C041DBD-C26A-4EEA-A0B7-9A09A9DA8FE8.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Also outside this room upstairs is around 35 percent humidity  I could go higher then what I have but don’t want mold or issues 

Wow, nice. With that setup you will be able to grow some very rare palms.

Well, rare for Ontario.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 3/12/2018, 2:36:08, Rickybobby said:

Also outside this room upstairs is around 35 percent humidity  I could go higher then what I have but don’t want mold or issues 

Time to move to a tropical island.  It will happen eventually.  Might as well just be honest with yourself and make it happen.

• Upvote 1

Moving will never happen I’m in my paradise in rural Ontario but I’m just having fun with the hobby and there will be all kinds of palms around the pool this summer!

Very nice! 

On a side note, what type of bird do you have? I’m a parrot nut and have a severe macaw and an umbrella cockatoo. 

• Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Jenday conure and a Senegal  there ying and yang but love having the warmth and the plants in their room win win for everyone 

Ahhh, I see the senegal there now. I could make out what I thought was grey feathers there before, but the green body was merged with the palms in my mind and basically invisible. Makes me realize how well they must camouflage in the wild! haha

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I have a 15 month old so the bird room was a must for baby nap time. The room is also sound insulated   Which also helps keep the heat in and the heater on a lower setting  

20 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I’m a parrot nut. 

Bird nerd here as well :hmm: Here's my critter..

bails.jpg

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

Bird nerd here as well :hmm: Here's my critter..

bails.jpg

Awesome! I just love macaws. I rescued both my birds, the Severe Macaw and the Umbrella Cockatoo. Pickle, my macaw was living with a hoarder for five years who had 15 other birds and 12 afghan hounds all living in a house that was essentially falling apart. His tail feathers had been plucked out by the dogs through the bars of his cage. They've grown back and he looks awesome now! There's a before and after of him below when I finally got him onto a good diet and given a lot of out of cage time. 

My cockatoo, Sunshine, is 23 years old and had the same owner her entire life. The man adored the bird, but he passed away a bit ago, and his daughter couldn't bring herself to rehome the bird, despite not providing the best care. She developed a plucking habit and shes essentially bald on her stomach. She is a riot! She loves dancing and talks up a storm, proclaiming "Hi Sunshine!" every chance she gets, haha. I've only had her for a few months, but I'm hoping her remaining plumage will improve during her next molt when she grows new feathers in. 

22426912_1486550481461121_7511743555543498752_n(1).jpg

28432890_2028552507417574_8814647048998486016_n(1).jpg

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Awesome! I just love macaws. I rescued both my birds, the Severe Macaw and the Umbrella Cockatoo. Pickle, my macaw was living with a hoarder for five years who had 15 other birds and 12 afghan hounds all living in a house that was essentially falling apart. His tail feathers had been plucked out by the dogs through the bars of his cage. They've grown back and he looks awesome now! There's a before and after of him below when I finally got him onto a good diet and given a lot of out of cage time. 

My cockatoo, Sunshine, is 23 years old and had the same owner her entire life. The man adored the bird, but he passed away a bit ago, and his daughter couldn't bring herself to rehome the bird, despite not providing the best care. She developed a plucking habit and shes essentially bald on her stomach. She is a riot! She loves dancing and talks up a storm, proclaiming "Hi Sunshine!" every chance she gets, haha. I've only had her for a few months, but I'm hoping her remaining plumage will improve during her next molt when she grows new feathers in. 

They are absolutely gorgeous! I am allergic to cockatoo feather powder so I'm not around them too often, but I did once watch a severe macaw for a few months while her owner was away. She was the most sassy little thing! She'd climb down from her cage, find my feet, and attack them! :wacko: Yours looks like a sweetie, though! I've spent a bunch of time volunteering with parrot rescues in the state. If you get a chance to come to Naples, you should visit Bird Gardens of Naples (close to Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and my place as well). It's a huge parrot sanctuary where most of the birds are in outdoor flights. https://birdgardensofnaples.org/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Missi said:

They are absolutely gorgeous! I am allergic to cockatoo feather powder so I'm not around them too often, but I did once watch a severe macaw for a few months while her owner was away. She was the most sassy little thing! She'd climb down from her cage, find my feet, and attack them! :wacko: Yours looks like a sweetie, though! I've spent a bunch of time volunteering with parrot rescues in the state. If you get a chance to come to Naples, you should visit Bird Gardens of Naples (close to Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and my place as well). It's a huge parrot sanctuary where most of the birds are in outdoor flights. https://birdgardensofnaples.org/

Oh, Pickle is pretty sassy too. haha He reminds me of a grumpy old man, but he does reluctantly accept head scratches and loves to spend time with me. His personality is that of a curmudgeon who actually does enjoy people but doesn't want to admit it haha. 

That place sounds great! Definitely somewhere I'd stop by and take a look at. I've always said if I win the lottery, I'd open a bird sanctuary as well. That's probably the only way I could satisfy my urge to get more and more birds without it being unfair to the birds. haha I've got two now and I'll get a third, probably a greenwing macaw, somewhere down the road!

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2018, 10:26:07, chad2468emr said:

Oh, Pickle is pretty sassy too. haha He reminds me of a grumpy old man, but he does reluctantly accept head scratches and loves to spend time with me. His personality is that of a curmudgeon who actually does enjoy people but doesn't want to admit it haha. 

That place sounds great! Definitely somewhere I'd stop by and take a look at. I've always said if I win the lottery, I'd open a bird sanctuary as well. That's probably the only way I could satisfy my urge to get more and more birds without it being unfair to the birds. haha I've got two now and I'll get a third, probably a greenwing macaw, somewhere down the road!

Ah yes, the bird addiction! Been there, done that, NOT going back! :wacko::rolleyes: However, I certainly do admire greenwings! I wish I had all this knowledge before I went bananas for parrots, or at least wish I would have started with adult birds so I knew what my birds' personalities would be like for the long haul...they NEVER stay like they are when they're sweet cuddly babies! I digress...

Just an update. I was able to town down the wattage on the heater. Buy turning the tower fan on light wind mode. It passes the air through the fins on the heater and does a better job at spreading the heat. I’m sure the trees like the warm breeze I mist the air out of the fan as well and spread some moisture 

Update again after I split my majesty’s 

6 of them 1 windmill 1 saw palmetto and the dome has a ton of germinated medjool dates  my coconut is still in the dark

B5D64D28-14BF-4D36-84A7-87EF4F14398E.jpeg

1C5E2D06-1EAE-4D98-AE08-78B5B2BA0BA0.jpeg

• Upvote 1