IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too Much Flare (and Mulch)?

fernonvernon

Hi all, 

Just finished repotting a Christmas Palm that'd been sitting in a big ol' plastic pot since we moved in.

It'd been (essentially) living in fine sand, so we went ahead and prepared a mix (sourced from JungleMusic), but --  having read that palm's are particularly sensitive when it comes to their roots -- attempted to keep the (root-bound) ball as intact as possible.

Am very much a minnow around here, and seeing as how I've basically never done this sort of thing before... I'd hugely appreciate some feedback/advice re whether I'm "meant" to cover more of the flare.

IMG_0699.thumb.JPG.8382beb823d2cc62e587a

[Not entirely sure what I can do about the relative "mossiness" of the sand-tangle between the thicker roots. And tampering with the thin surface roots (sort of buried at this point in the photo) seemed to contradict what I think I'd picked up re palm's and root sensitivity).

Also wondering how accurate the allocation of mulch I've put down is. I did try to adhere to a rough 3inch thick/high guideline (the "black" somewhat fibrous stuff's a layer of compost and the wood mulch is... bark mulch), but would be grateful for some advice re whether I've veered too close to the trunk (tried to stick to an overall 6" spacing, but have clearly winged it some).

IMG_0700.thumb.JPG.24ef3bfd431b846e9f9b2

Not that I wouldn't also welcome any input concerning the aesthetic merit of such mulch(ing)... but am, ultimately, such a feeble novice here that I'd take/appreciate any info I can get re the overall feasibility of compost+bark mulching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I think your Christmas palm will be very happy with the new soil. Most important thing is that the soils' drainage is optimal, especially if the palm encounters temperatures below those of its natural habitat. (cold and wet feet means trouble)

Secondly I would personally add some more topsoil so all the roots are covered. Allthough I don't think the palm is suffering from having some adventurous roots.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I really appreciate the response and the advice.

Do feel  as though the sheer amount off... rootage... hanging around the surface could use some more topsoil, so am quite glad/relieved to hear/read that topping-up wouldn't be an ill-advised move.