IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Normal weather temps finally returning for SOCAL

GottmitAlex

It's noon and the garden thermometer is 24C/75.2F 

My tarps have officially been put back in storage. 

20180305_120814.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Picture taken today after our two-week "winter".  I honestly thought we would skip winter altogether this year.

20180305_143423.jpg

20180305_143319.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hi Alex,

if you want to change places... had -13,7°C (~ 7F) and frost for many days.

Would love your winter.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

guten Abend Eckhard.

Yikes. 

In that case, I am content where I am.  Seriously, we are blessed to have this weather in this region. It's interesting, If I travel south of Baja, (pacific side) it gets colder. I don't know what it is. And I am referring to sea elevation towns and cities. One has to get to mid-Baja California Sur (the southernmost state in the peninsula) in order to achieve the "dry tropical" climate.  

Bitte,

Alex

Edited by GottmitAlex

Alex, Id suspect a direct influence from the California Current plays a key role in keeping the northern half of Baja cooler/colder, ie: more fog, cooler air flowing onshore there.  Btw, the Coconuts look good:greenthumb:

If one takes general look at the region from a " what grows there" perspective, you see the ranges of many plants that you might see in/ around San Diego extend down into the northern part of the peninsula, Pacific side/ west facing mountain slopes in particular.

At the same time, there are several things considered borderline tropical whose ranges extend north into San Diego.. esp. on the east side of the county where there is less  direct influence from the Pacific.

Like you said, it isn't until you get into Baja Sur that tropical- esque flora becomes more dominant, for the time being anyway.  I read something in reference to the climate in La Paz suggesting that while it itself could be considered tropical ( a  very dry version obviously) cooler air from the Pacific can cross over the peninsula and temper what would be some very hot summer evenings from time to time. Regardless, Baja's variable climate is one factor that makes it a biological hot spot. Itching to spend a couple weeks exploring down there.

Weather wise, agree w/ you. its nice to have the 70s back, and see a few days in the 80 - 85F range forecasted this week.

While the past couple weeks were below normal here as well, I would be hard pressed to say it was "cold" ..While there may have been a couple nights it briefly touched 33-32F, I didn't see any frost, and don't see evidence of post -frost damage around the yard/ in the neighborhood on anything considered "tender" ( ie: Corner neighbor's young, Lychee, Longan, Mangoes, Guavas; All planted late last summer.. Ficus Benjamina hedges, Cassia Fistula and Royal Poinciana in other yards around the corner, neighborhood Plumeria, including my own) 

Regardless, still not sure I'm ready to call the season yet, might be another good cool down around the 20th.. for a day or two at least.. Frost?.. strengthening March sun pretty much guarantees we're out of the woods in that regards, though surprise events have occurred before, even in late March. Still, winter- dormant stuff is beginning to awaken/ bud up around the yard.

First plant sale of the season resumes tomorrow as well, another sure sign spring is upon us ( Spring training events being the first locally ). We'll see what I come across tomorrow down in Tucson. Will likely be one of the last trips there before a big change happens in May.

• Upvote 1

March 6, 12:21pm pst. TJ, 6 miles south of the San Diego Border.

20180306_122953.jpg

Below are pictures (can't arrange the order on my cell phone) in no particular order of my B.fenestralis, my 5 cocos. Some San Pedro cacti, a guava and zee dragon fruit cacti.

20180306_123545.jpg

above you can immediately see the store-bought dehusked Mexican tall (golden) coco. It germinated in my outdoor restroom/aka greenhaus.

20180306_123535.jpg

above is the Jamaican tall. This guy got about 2-3 gallons of liquide cement into its plot... thank God they're on 3,3,3ft of pure coarse sand.
20180306_123523.jpg

Here's the B fenestralis

Edited by GottmitAlex
Pics
  • Upvote 2

Agree that the coldest temps of winter are likely over but March can be a very chilly month. For example March 2006 was nearly 10° below average with the coldest average maximum [64.0] of any month I have recorded in the 24 years living at this location. This year from 2/19 - 3/1 minimums were in the 40's here and well below that in nearby low-lying areas. Now a subtropical air mass is raising dew points and rain is forecast later this weekend w/ more storms into next week. But the CPC has been consistently predicting much below normal temps over the western states well into mid month and lots of rain which we desperately need. If there are any clear nights during the passage of cold GOA [Gulf of Alaska] storms than we can experience frost in SoCal.

Even though the last half of Feb was quite cool the monthly average max was 70.4° [one degree above average] at my station.

Love you palms, Alex. B)

3-9-18.gif

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

20180311_163328.jpg

20180311_163312_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2018, 9:20:19, happ said:

Agree that the coldest temps of winter are likely over but March can be a very chilly month. For example March 2006 was nearly 10° below average with the coldest average maximum [64.0] of any month I have recorded in the 24 years living at this location. This year from 2/19 - 3/1 minimums were in the 40's here and well below that in nearby low-lying areas. Now a subtropical air mass is raising dew points and rain is forecast later this weekend w/ more storms into next week. But the CPC has been consistently predicting much below normal temps over the western states well into mid month and lots of rain which we desperately need. If there are any clear nights during the passage of cold GOA [Gulf of Alaska] storms than we can experience frost in SoCal.

Even though the last half of Feb was quite cool the monthly average max was 70.4° [one degree above average] at my station.

Love you palms, Alex. B)

3-9-18.gif

Thank goodness that map hasn't been true for me this month... record highs today around 70F.  If you think that's not very warm the normal is 55F. LOL!  Alex those are some great looking palms. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

Minimums stay mild so long as it stays wet/ cloudy.

Forecast today thru this week:

Downtown Los Angeles
    MOCLDY   RAIN     SHWRS    RAIN     SHWRS    SHWRS    PTCLDY   
      /71    59/68    57/65    54/62    52/60    50/61    49/61    
       /10    10/60    50/20    40/60    60/60    70/60    50/20   
Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

80 today here but rain is on the way... Can't wait for high pressure to build finally when it does happen :)

Here is yesterdays weather map at 5 pm. I woke up this morning to 55F with light rain with some real rain coming this afternoon. The house is so dark now compared to the last few sunny days. LOL. Lots of things leaving out now and flower buds swelling. This rain will really help the summer bulbs I planted this weekend to take root. 

acttemp_1280x720.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Enigma99,

You may not have to wait much longer... if, and I say, if this mornings 12z GFS run is catching on to a suggested pattern change, or modification there of.. suggested by Judah Cohen in his blog yesterday, anticipate spring like temps sometime around the 25th. 2m temp plots @ 00z that week have most of CA in.. at least the 70s.. with some possible 80s returning down south, and maybe in the Central Valley on the 27th/28th.. 

At the same time, we here might see our first official 90F of the season ..85/88F is currently suggested but, as was the case yesterday, Phoenix hit 83f at Sky Harbor, as did the airport here in Chandler. We ranged between 85 and 88F on my side of Chandler per the closest 7 neighborhood Wx stations to the house I monitor. I rarely use Chandler airport's reading since it is usually cooler out there, even though there only a few miles away.. Could tell the neighborhood stations were on to something because the thermostat in the house  was reading 81F at 11pm, a good indication it was warm enough outside. Last summer, there were a few days it hit 92F inside, mid afternoon during the hours you're supposed to shut off the Air conditioning, unless you want a $ $250.00 - 400.00 electricity bill.. I won't miss that at all.. Anyways, appears that spring is movin in. Let the count down to "Blow torch season" begin:bemused:

22 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Enigma99,

You may not have to wait much longer... if, and I say, if this mornings 12z GFS run is catching on to a suggested pattern change, or modification there of.. suggested by Judah Cohen in his blog yesterday, anticipate spring like temps sometime around the 25th. 2m temp plots @ 00z that week have most of CA in.. at least the 70s.. with some possible 80s returning down south, and maybe in the Central Valley on the 27th/28th.. 

And last nights gfs run was showing the high pressure weaking, and now showing it’s completely gone and yet another outbreak of cold.

Staying cool;  showers are well appreciated. MOS keeps minimums way above freezing except Ojai/ parts of Central Cal.

Long range:

3-15-18.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23