IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

All My Cham tuercks: Spring 2018

PalmatierMeg

For several years I posted photos of my 5 potted Chamaedorea tuerckheimii that I took every spring and fall when I gave them their semi-annual checkups and fertilization. Normally I keep them in shade in my back yard jungle where I can look in on them but otherwise let them commune with Nature. I've learned that these are palms that hate to be toyed with, worried over or put on display - they grow for me on their terms only. I'm fine with that. However, in fall 2016 I knew they need to be repotted (2-3 years in one pot is enough). I approach repotting with surgical care & precision but this time the two smallest palms took issue with my actions. Both went into decline and died within a few months. I was so bummed I took no photos last year.

I've had no luck germinating seeds but I decided to bite the bullet and ordered 4 seedlings from Floribunda. So far those are doing great for me. Then last fall I bought 2 1g from Scott Cohen. I just finished my spring checkup on my 9 Cham tuercks and took the following photos today. I estimate the largest, bought from Dale Holten in 2011, to be 22-24" tall. The second & third tallest are 15-18" tall.

Chamaedorea tuerckheimii x9

5a95ee1a9cd46_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee372631f_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee436b9b5_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee53968b5_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee602dad7_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee75cb43f_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix905a95ee8176cb5_Chamaedoreatuerckheimiix90

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Nice palms but sound too temperamental for me :P

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Fussy little buggers, I think that I might just follow yours. :P

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Hi Meg! I am so glad you posted these! I was literally out repotting stuff today and was wondering how these had done for you through this past winter, having seen your other posts/pictures of them. I’m very sorry about the two you lost, but the remaining ones, as well as your newer additions, are very impressively grown!  :greenthumb:

I would assume they spent a good bit of time inside over winter? Do you need to take any special measures in regard to humidity? I believe I’ve read here on PT that they’re very prone to spider mites? 

Either way, thanks for the photos and keep up the good work!!!

1 hour ago, CB Lisa said:

Hi Meg! I am so glad you posted these! I was literally out repotting stuff today and was wondering how these had done for you through this past winter, having seen your other posts/pictures of them. I’m very sorry about the two you lost, but the remaining ones, as well as your newer additions, are very impressively grown!  :greenthumb:

I would assume they spent a good bit of time inside over winter? Do you need to take any special measures in regard to humidity? I believe I’ve read here on PT that they’re very prone to spider mites? 

Either way, thanks for the photos and keep up the good work!!!

They stay outdoors year round. They are  more likely to be damaged by sun and high heat than cold here. Under green leafy canopy ambient temps are 10-15 degrees cooler in summer. They love high humidity. They really do prefer a coolish, humid, shady oasis. In winter I do spray them every 2-3 months with a miticide but not during rainy season. Keeping them indoors would increase the risk of spider mites. They really prefer to be left to their own devices most of the time. Most people who tour the yard never realize I have them, which suits me fine.

Meg

Florida

Thanks...all interesting info! You’ve clearly come up with the key to keeping them happy in Florida! So, just to clarify, they had no issue with being outdoors through the colder than usual, at times skirting freezing, temperatures this winter? I realize they aren’t crazy about heat, but had no idea they would be that tough with cold! 

3 hours ago, CB Lisa said:

Thanks...all interesting info! You’ve clearly come up with the key to keeping them happy in Florida! So, just to clarify, they had no issue with being outdoors through the colder than usual, at times skirting freezing, temperatures this winter? I realize they aren’t crazy about heat, but had no idea they would be that tough with cold! 

Under canopy, away from damaging cold wind or frost, no rain or irrigation, good to mid 30s. Freezing or below, I'd bring them indoors. Ultimate low in Jan. was 34.5.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida