IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

So I forgot to bring my Coconut palm in a pot in last night... The tempature got down to 34 degrees F and there was frost in the yard. Do you think it will be ok? 

20180227_143432.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

It's possible it will live, but it doesn't look like it can handle another one of those nights for a long time.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

:badday:Move it inside, and pray, keep it warm.

Let us know what happens.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

Possible, but probably toast. How is the humidity in your area?

Humidity is around 65% right now. 

6 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

It's possible it will live, but it doesn't look like it can handle another one of those nights for a long time.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

:badday:Move it inside, and pray, keep it warm.

Let us know what happens.

I am really hoping it does. I have had damage to this coconut before in the past at around 40 degrees F, I am no stranger to forgetting to bring in non - hardy plants over the winter... I need to start setting reminders on my phone to bring in plants if it will get cold. I am hoping that once the full damage shows, there is still green in the spear. I pray that there is. 

PalmTreeDude

In a pot it is probably dead.  To see burn that quickly is a very bad sign.

Well, the damage did progress, it is about at its stopping point. The lower parts of the fronds and center spear are green. Sorry for the bad lighting. 

1520117216349598551814.jpg

1520117235721960977974.jpg

PalmTreeDude

The green spear is ostensibly a promising sign, but I am inclined to agree with the comment made above that it’s dead but just doesn’t know it yet. I have seen plenty of green spear pulls from rotten palms.

• 1 month later...

Well how did it go? Did it pull through?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 4/8/2018, 3:28:07, gtsteve said:

Well how did it go? Did it pull through?

Yeah it is alive and growing. 

• Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I just wanted to give an update on it. Here it is now. 

20180827_103618.jpg

• Upvote 6

PalmTreeDude

It miraculously survived - that's good. But don't expect another miracle if you forget it again.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...

Good enough.  Locally, we've had so many coconuts planted that it'll be cocopalypse if we get a pair of bad winters like 2010-2011 (26º officially at the airport within walking distance of my house).  That killed about half the coconuts in my part of town; most at the beach survived.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us