IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone here use a rugged phone? These phones are typically Android phones but are very handy to have when doing outdoor activities, for example a friend of mine has a Galaxy s7 Active phone and it slipped out of his pocket while he was on his ATV and it went bouncing behind him on the road. Somehow, it was basically perfectly fine except for an extremely small nick on the side. If I would have done that with my phone, it would look like a broken sheet of ice. Anyone here use or used a rugged phone? 

PalmTreeDude

I'd just get an OtterBox or something similar. That should do a good enough job without having to compromise on your actual phone.

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I use the OtterBox suggestion that @RedRabbit made, but if you don't need a smart phone, the Samsung Rugby II has proven darn near indestructible as a backup phone for me.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This is good to know.  My wife just purchased the same phone, selected because it is 'unlocked'.  I installed the Otterbox for her  and was impressed by the quality of this case.

San Francisco, California

I did a lot of research on mobile phone cases because I'm the biggest klutz this side of Florida. I knew I'd be dropping my iPhone at least once a day :huh: The winner seemed to be Griffin Technology's Survivor rugged protection case, voted even better than OtterBox. It was guaranteed to protect a mobile phone from being dropped 6 feet onto concrete. The case is a bit bulky but has protected my phone from countless times being dropped. I trust it so much that I will even toss my iPhone on the floor or desk without a worry.

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

17 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I'd just get an OtterBox or something similar. That should do a good enough job without having to compromise on your actual phone.

I currently have a Galaxy s8 with an Otterbox that works very well, it saved my phone many times. I looked up some information the the phone I mentioned (Galaxy s7 Active) and it has the same specifications as the normal Galaxy s7 but the only difference is a larger battery and it is rugged. Also more expensive, but suppose to last. 

5 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

This is good to know.  My wife just purchased the same phone, selected because it is 'unlocked'.  I installed the Otterbox for her  and was impressed by the quality of this case.

The Rugby 2 or Active? Both are tough, that's for sure. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

6 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I currently have a Galaxy s8 with an Otterbox that works very well, it saved my phone many times. I looked up some information the the phone I mentioned (Galaxy s7 Active) and it has the same specifications as the normal Galaxy s7 but the only difference is a larger battery and it is rugged. Also more expensive, but suppose to last. 

The Rugby 2 or Active? Both are tough, that's for sure. 

Ha ! We don't remember about the Otterbox , and we recycled the packaging.  :rolleyes:  The phone is SMG930UZKAX

San Francisco, California

22 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Ha ! We don't remember about the Otterbox , and we recycled the packaging.  :rolleyes:  The phone is SMG930UZKAX

Nice!

PalmTreeDude

• 2 months later...

I don't even use a phone lol.

So I have no rugged phone.

Edited by Palmsbro
-