IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Carolina Filifera after 14-15F

Brad Mondel

This Filifera in Greenville, SC survived 14-15F wet cold and below freezing temps for 2-3 days straight this past winter. Looks dead but trust me, inside the crown new fronds are emerging. BAF10AC0-03C3-44EC-8F51-66F04A9D5401.thu

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thats awesome! I had one of my spear pulled palms grow a new spear only to pull again sadly. Guess I dont need to hope for this one as its not looking too bad given the circumstances!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Three filifera in cleburne, tx. 8-10f down there as well. Dont know when they were planted but have only grown about 5' trunk in the last 10 years. Pic taken jan 30th when in passed through town. 

20180130_094140.jpg

20180130_094117.jpg

• Upvote 2

Last robusta in keene tx on south side of a hotel. The other three died in 2011 and im sure this one is dead now. It was the runt of the group and the crown is finally exposed to the north wind.  Also a windmill out on a little island in the lake is dead too. The other one doesn't look to well either.  

20180130_095128.jpg

• Upvote 1

Could this be the "type" of cold Texas had vs upcountry South Carolina? Or maybe genetics?

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

That windmill was dead or looking so around Thanksgiving when I saw it driving thru Keene.  Actually, both looked gone to me at that time. So I don't think it had anything to do with this winter cold.   On a side note, I got some nice filifera growing from seed in Rio Rancho, NM from those Cleburne palms. when I collected seed in fall, 2012(a good year for filifera purity in that area!)

Edited by jwitt

Nice pictures and info everybody. My smaller two year old robustas are dead but my baby filifera from Texas is pushing new growth after defoliating when it warmed up. It was frozen solid in a thin plastic pot also! I think Filifera really should be used more in colder areas even in the south. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The only mature Robusta I know of here in Aiken appears to have survived.  It was 100% brown last month but is pushing a green spear.

Here are some of my seed grown Cleburne TX filifera at about 4 years old in mile high Rio Rancho, NM. Today's pic. 

20180226_133710.jpg

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2018, 6:21:39, jwitt said:

That windmill was dead or looking so around Thanksgiving when I saw it driving thru Keene.  Actually, both looked gone to me at that time. So I don't think it had anything to do with this winter cold.   On a side note, I got some nice filifera growing from seed in Rio Rancho, NM from those Cleburne palms. when I collected seed in fall, 2012(a good year for filifera purity in that area!)

I agree cold didnt kill it. Cleburneand keene were 7f i was told today by a customer who lives down there. 

On 23-2-2018 00:15:10, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That robusta saw single digits.  And stayed below freezing for 70 hours straight or so.

Is the long duration of the freeze the difference if compared to the robusta-survivors in El Paso after winter 2010/2011?

These two events were about the same duration with it being almost ten degrees colder in El Paso.  Solar load is the difference in my opinion. A palm trunk would be warm to the touch on a sunny day at 25f in El Paso. Not so much in Dallas. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will add in some here.  I live in central TX at the edge of Z8A.(Just NW of Waco)  I can verify the winter temp of 8 F. This is the coldest winter here in 10 years.  I have W. filiferas, S. palmetto, texana, "Birmingham", P. dactylifera, Trachycarpus fortunei, and chamaerops humilis planted.   I keep gutter heater cables wrapped around the dactylifera, and the filiferas upper trunk and crowns in the winter to protect them as they are more cold susceptible(and bigger expensive specimens).  The others took minor leaf burn only and crown and trunk are fine.  The sabals laughed at this cold spell.  The chamaerops had moderate leaf burn, The Phoenix's had significant leaf loss but the heater cables protect the crown and trunk. Some winter I may forgo the heater cables on the filiferas but not the Phoenix d's.  When I moved to this house the previous owners had planted W. robustas and a winter into the mid teens killed them easily.

On 2/22/2018, 1:52:07, mdsonofthesouth said:

Could this be the "type" of cold Texas had vs upcountry South Carolina? Or maybe genetics?

the south carolina palm was right up against a heated building, I doubt it saw the 15F low.  Up against a heated building is good for a few degrees.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

the south carolina palm was right up against a heated building, I doubt it saw the 15F low.  Up against a heated building is good for a few degrees.

I get this at my house were the difference can be as great as 5 degrees (sometimes slightly higher). Its all in what winds are blocked and sunlight. 

My filiferas after 16,7 f and a couple of days below freezing. The petioles are nearly spineless

ACE1E1F5-0965-42C9-B7A1-AE6CF51EAAD4.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Upvote 2